Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] CHECK FILE HOLD ... field called KIND

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] CHECK FILE HOLD ... field called KIND
 Login/Join

posted
It would appear that the field called KIND in a check file hold ouput file has a format of U4 (U4B) .... I THINK this field is used to denote the type of field. EG DEFINEd field is 07000000 and DEFINEd field with MISING ON is 07080000. Trouble is I cannot seem to reference this field in an IF/DEFINE to flag DEFINEd fields. anyone know a way round this ? Any hints/tips would be appreciated !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6, Windows, unix

Posts: 3 | Location: UK | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
<JG>
posted
twiddows55,

Found this on the internal site, might help depending on what you actually are trying to do.

DEFINE FILE SYSCOLUM
DEF_TYPE/A15 = DECODE DEFINE('C' 'Computes' 'F' 'Filters' 'Y' 'Defines'
ELSE 'Fields ');
END
TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
PRINT NAME AS '' ALIAS AS '' USAGE AS ''
WHERE TBNAME EQ 'EMPLOYEE'
BY DEF_TYPE ROWS
Fields OVER
Defines OVER
Computes OVER
Filters
END

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much I can work around this now!
There is a field called DEFINE and DEFTEXT in the table which gives me a flag creator and something to work with. If anyone out there does know anything about the 'KIND' field I would still appreciate the knowledge on how to read it but this will enable me to achieve what I need to do. TVM

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Twiddows

U format is unformatted hexadecimal. So if your field looks like 07080000, for screening you can use:
DEFINE FILE HOLD
IG /A1 = HEXBYT(7, 'A1');
UG /A1 = HEXBYT(8, 'A1');
AH/A1 = IF KIND CONTAINS IG THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';
AY/A1 = IF KIND CONTAINS UG THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT KIND IG UG AH AY
-*WHERE KIND CONTAINS IG 
-*   OR KIND CONTAINS UG
END

To see exactly what happens, try
DEFINE FILE HOLD
NEWKIND/U8 = KIND;
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT KIND  NEWKIND
IF NEWKIND CONTAINS ' ' 
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT KIND  NEWKIND
IF NEWKIND OMITS ' ' 
END

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As an aside, you can change the format of a field to be Unn to get hex output. Change COUNTRY to U10 and you get:
COUNTRY 
454E474C414E44202020 
4A4150414E2020202020 
4954414C592020202020 
57204745524D414E5920 
4652414E434520202020 

This can be useful to elicit weird characters in data.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Thanks very much for that snippet of info, it will be very useful!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Alan/JG,
Thanks very much for all your help, much appreciated.
Rgds
Tony

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Information on how to read the KIND field so that we can apply filter for it was really good.

Can anyone suggest what information this field holds , do we get any information regarding the primary key of a table.

If not please post any suggestions from which we can get the primary key of a table from a Hold table structure.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 72 | Location: Flowood , MS | Registered: May 11, 2011Report This Post