Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Strange behaviour with TEMPERASE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Strange behaviour with TEMPERASE
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Unless I've completely misunderstood TEMPERASE all these years, something very odd happened here.

I put SET TEMPERASE=OFF in one fex to be able to look at the HOLD files after execution.

It appears the TEMPERASE=OFF was activated for all other fexs run for the next four days until I added SET TEMPERASE=ON in one fex and ran it.

Is this normal, I thought the command would be valid for the one session only.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Yes, you might have thought that but you'd be wrong to do so Frowner

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tony, are you saying that if you set TEMPERASE=ON in a fex that it will apply to any fex in any agent that runs after the fex with TEMPERASE=ON?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It would appear that you set it once and it is applied at a server level until you turn it off again.

As per Francis, not my understanding of what it should do but I guess I use it so rarely that I really cannot remember what it used to do in 5.2.3 etc. Confused although between senior moments (Wink) I am fairly sure that it was a single agent, single execution process. Logic, however, says that if it was a single agent, single run then you could not guarantee to find your temporary files in EDATEMP on a busy server as it would be likely that another process used the same agent as your process had just used Frowner

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony, thanks for the response. If this is how it's supposed to behave - at a server level, it ought to be documented - this could cause a lot of confusion and disk space issues.

Strangely, this appears to be related to the Error FOC36219 - is it a disk space issue? I posted earlier. When I use SET TEMPERASE=OFF, a couple of users get the FOC36219 error, I don't. My User ID may be in a user group with different permissions than the other two. When I use SET TEMPERASE=ON (the default), the programs run alright.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We have just one instance of WebFOCUS for production and development (not good, but that's life). We use SET TEMPERASE=OFF all the time in development. At times, once an agent expires, its temp folder in edatemp will remain. Sometimes there is a lot of disk space not released and we have to manually delete these "dead" folders This may explain this. I guess I should do a SET TEMPERASE=ON in the edasprof.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The TEMPERASE setting is applied at an agent level not at the server level. Once TEMPERASE is set for a session within an agent, it is active within that agent until the TEMPERASE value is reset or the agent is stopped. The default number of times an agent is used before stopping is 100 (AGENT_REFRESH server setting).

SET TEMPERASE=ON in the edasprof.prf is good idea if the environment is shared for dev/production. (BTW, I agree not a good practice.)

Another alternative is to lower the AGENT_REFRESH to 1 so that each agent only has one connection. However, depending on the volume of server activity, this may result in slight noticable overhead (response time) as each run requires a new agent to start and stop. This may be a better option for a pure development environment.

Posts: 22 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: January 19, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Southern Belle,

Thank you for that detailed explanation - it explains exactly the behaviour I was seeing. It would be nice for this to be added to the documentation.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
That explanation works for me as well.

We've been on WebFOCUS since release 4.x. Only reason we use TEMPERASE=OFF was because, along with using APP HOLD appfolder, that seemed to be the only way we could get temp files to hang around while testing. After doing some testing, it seems that now , APP HOLD by itself, will let tempfiles hang around.

It seems that now, TEMPERASE applies only to the agent folders in edatemp.