Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] System variables - I'd like one for the complete path of the included fex
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] System variables - I'd like one for the complete path of the included fex
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
These three variables seem to provide some information about which fex is running:

&FOCFEXNAME
&FOCINCLUDE
&IBIMR_fullpath

If you -TYPE the values inside an included fex, the first two appear to be the name of the included fex while the third is the full path of the calling fex.

How do I get the full path of the included fex?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Little hope for that.

Your (MR-based) report request consists of a script (fex file) from the MR repository, whose origin is that third variable, &IBIMR_fullpath. Any (MR) -INCLUDES within that (MR) fex are converted to plain old reporting server -INCLUDE directives, and when the reporting server happens to find a matching fex file in the working directory it is unaware that it landed there only by some MR sleight-of-hand.

By the time the FOCUS reporting code gets stacked, pulled from FOCSTACK and interpreted, reporting server is unaware of what APP directory it came from, never mind its MR pedigree.

So IBI would have to do a lot of stitching to alter the suit to cover that information.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Wow! My INCLUDE statement uses the full path of the Repository resource, I thought it would be a simple matter of exposing this in a system variable.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
&ECHO=ALL should reveal the -INCLUDE in the form that WFRS sees it; all that MR pathing will be absent. Such are the acrobatics that let white-bearded reporting server handle the whims of the MR latecomer.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The latecomer is getting on as well...

Thanks for the info.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I do wonder if something could be done to pass this from site.wfs, some extra script that may be able to be added.

Just speculating....

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The thing that bothers me is the fact that, when you're in AppStudio, you can't just copy the full path for the fex your pointing to/working in from that fex's File/Folder Properties panel listing.... Drives me nuts! It would be a nice addition. It would make working with drills a lot easier when specifying which fex to drill to.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can copy the full path if you log into the http{s}://server{Razzerort}/ibi_apps as admin, the properties of the item is copyable (is that a word ?).

I personally keep the full path in the header comment of the fex, so its easily copied.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
On September 8th, 2014, I opened a case.

Me: "On the resource tree web page ("default page"?), right-click an entity in the
Content section, select Properties from the context menu, then double-click on
the text of the Full Path - we are able to select the full path and copy/paste it.

On the resource tree of App Studio, right-click an entity in the Content
section, select Properties from the context menu, then double-click on the text
of the Full Path - we are NOT able to select the full path, even though the
cursor changes to a beam, indicating text entry.

We need the full path for the INCLUDE command in a fex, it would be very handy
if we could copy/paste the full path, which could sometimes be quite long.
eg. IBFS:/WFC/Repository/manageme/std_reports/commonutilit/util_functions.fex"

Them: "We will review this issue and get back to you with our findings."

Them: "I will be sending your case to programming as a New Feature Request.
Once I get an update from the division you will be notified."

Them: "As per the division this New Feature Request will not be implemented.
That field is a non-editable field. Additionally, -INCLUDE should
be created from the User Interface which generates the correct path.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or problems."

(Did you note the B.S. "-INCLUDE should be created from the User Interface which generates the correct path"?)

Me: Unfortunately, this is not satisfactory.
1) I am not asking for an editable field - I am asking for a selectable field.
2) We (and most WebFOCUS developers) write a lot of code in the text editor,
therefore the "User Interface" cannot be used.

Them: "Unfortunately, the product doesn't allow a read-only field to be selectable."

Me: "It works in Dev Studio v7.7.05 and v8.0.08. Why should developers compromise?
Shouldn't a new tool be advancing our capabilities? My NEW FEATURE REQUEST is
more important in WebFOCUS 8, now that we have to use full paths. I would like
to copy the full path that is readily available in the file properties window.
But since there appears to be resistance, I'm giving up. Please close the case."

Total waste of time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz,

Thanks for the thought of placing it in the header comments, but it would still be nice to just be able to copy/paste the thing from the File/Folder Properties (<-- Someone was pretty indecisive on naming.) panel...like every other like-tool under the Sun lets you do...

Francis,

Thanks for sharing your experience with working with IBI for an NFR. Sadly, that's how it is sometimes with them. Not all times. Sometimes we luck out and get a good one or two. haha I'm guessing their programming department either just doesn't care (due to the inundation of bug fixes/NFRs they get most likely - their 8.x products are more beta level quality than ready for full deployment), or they can't do anything about it anytime soon because certain upper management types won't allow them to.

Expert
posted Hide Post
How long does it take you to
quote:
get a good one or two
?

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
** I've been asked to remove this comment. Sorry if I was a bit blunt. ** IBI has many wonderful staff that do help a lot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought you meant one or two NFRs!

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
At least you get a response francis... I'm still waiting on a response to my request to add a timezone type. Being that I work for an international company in at least 5 if not 6 different timezones (not counting 3 out of the 4 in the US) Being able to state things in the timezone from which they were recorded is a big thing. But alas, I'm not one of their prized top 10 consortium... So good luck getting anything worthwhile as far as an NFR from them is concerned.

I just don't get it, even just for US based companies there are 4 timezones in the contiguous 48 states. How does every DB out there support it but IBI can't?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

lol No... Sorry for the confusion.

Eric,

A function for timestamp offset would be a nice addition. With a param stating which timezone you want to display.

Expert
posted Hide Post
The quickest NFR I had was the length of CSS names in stylesheets in a report.

It was a matter of weeks, still done't know when it will be available, but its been lengthened to 100 chars instead of 23.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
-INCLUDE should be created from the User Interface which generates the correct path

[My Opionion]
This just points with a BIG POINTY HAND to there direction and what they think of coders!
[End My Opionion]

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz,

So there was a limit on CSS class names at some point eh? That's sad.

Yeah, I think they are now favoring the locked down, semi-functional GUI direction now over the open, quicker, and more creative direction. Was using their HTML Canvas tool in AppStudio yesterday and I got an alert popping up saying AppStudio was out of memory... My coworker had similar happen on multiple occasions while working with the same tool. Sad stuff.

Luckily I'm MS certified in C# development, etc. and this isn't going to break me if it keeps going downhill for us coders.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
AppStudio was out of memory

FYI,

We use App Studio all the time and have not had out of memory.

You must have been doing some interesting stuff

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It wasn't that we were doing anything intense. I think, from what I've gathered, it happens after the HTML Canvas tool has been open for a long period of time. We go off to various meetings, and come back. Try to do a few things and the pop-up happens stating it's out of memory. All I did was build a simple form tied to like 5 reports passing a grand total of 5 params to each upon submission this time it happened.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Wow.

We have some like that, but not had anything like that.

Perhaps your PC is underspec'd

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not the case. My colleague has an 8-core CPU, also a SSD, has loads of RAM; mine is a quad-core i5 with a good amount as well.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Concerns me that 8.1.05 can "crash", not happy.

We will be upgrading to 8.1.05 soon

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
Concerns me that 8.1.05 can "crash", not happy.

We will be upgrading to 8.1.05 soon

App Studio 8.1.05 has been mostly stable for me, but at times I've had to edit HTML files to remove elements that the GUI tool wouldn't let me remove. It does crash for me after long periods of use, but I save my work frequently so it's not that much of a problem.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Squatch. It's not that bad, but it is frustrating when you're in the middle of something, and you get the "(not responding)" up top, or it takes like 5 minutes for the HTML Canvas tool to launch a page you were working on, the sudden crashes, memory leaks, properties not working on occasion, properties changing back to what they were before you changed them without you being notified about it, not being able to save changes to preprocessing nodes in a reporting object at times (non-responsive), etc.....

Master
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy,

I did run into a situation a few days ago where App Studio seemed to not be saving changes I made to CSS and JavaScript files. I had to use InfoAssist to open up these text files and make the changes.

App Studio is nice when it works as expected, but totally confounding and confusing when it doesn't!

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
App Studio is nice when it works as expected, but totally confounding and confusing when it doesn't!

Then it's not worth its weight in bytes.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
My experience with App Studio has been bad to worse. Even the things that I want to take advantage of like AJAX requests end up being more difficult to use in the tool, then if I just did it myself. Not to mention the whole don't look at the man behind the curtain approach for the HTML composer. So much more difficult to do pre and post processing now. I'd rather just do it myself and get it done right in a fraction of the time.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Somehow I feel like I've opened up old wounds. Sorry for that.

On the bright side, I can open an HTML file in my favorite Windows Associated Tool!

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The struggle is real, y'all... lol

Squatch,

With no carriage returns, right? Oh, and don't use NotePad++ and save anything, because you'll lose it all once you attempt to open it again. All you'll see is a "sub" character left... At least that's how it's been with me attempting to use the "official" way to interact with the code now.