Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Single Domain as Application Source

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Single Domain as Application Source
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi all,

I have created an application (collection of fex files and launch pages) in a domain and now I am trying to figure out how to allow multiple groups of users to access that same application without the need to copy it to another domain.

I know that I can create separate user groups and give them each access to the domain but here is the challenge. Content from one user group must not be visible to any other group. I want to allow my users to create and share their own reports but when they do that the reports are shared across the domain not just the user group.

Is there a way to prevent shared reports from being seen by members of different groups who have access to the same domain?

Thanks,

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. As you mention, report sharing is by domain so regardless of what you do with the groups, anyone who shares access to a domain can see domain objects shared by any other users of that domain.

One way around this might be to create a domain for each group, but instead of copying and maintaining code in all domains, just create shell fexes that basically -INCLUDE fexes that exist in the original domain.

I have set up a couple domains like this, but just for the purpose of sharing code while limiting access of certain procedures to different groups. I don't know how the report sharing would work since users in these groups are not able to create or share their own reports. In theory, it should work.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin, I agree.

We have gone as far as creating a common files domain, and call these from each domain.

The code is
-INCLUDE {domain}/app/{fexname}

The beauty of this is your source is kept separate, single point of change.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Dan

We go multi copy in MRE, but have a procedure that allows you to update MRE independent of ds and thus refresh all copies.

It works by scanning the HTML files within MRE to find out what the true filename of the named item in MRE is and then uses a simple DOS copy to refresh all other copies from the changed copy.

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
All,

The 'common files' domain idea is great and works well. I had first tried doing it by copying the files to an Application Folder on the server but that had it's own set of challenges.

Is there a trick to getting HTML launch pages to work across domains? When my launch page opens up, another browser window opens with the message "ERROR_MR_CANT_OPEN_DOMAIN_FOR_USER". This is what I thought would happen with the -INCLUDE that calls a fex from another domain but it didn't. I must admit that it scares me to know that I can just call a fex from another domain like that.

Anyway, the 'front-end' of my application runs from a launch page so getting this part to work is key for me.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I inherited an oddity that was set up before I showed up: an MRE domain that contains all the includes is mapped as an application folder. The domain is not added to all the user groups.

This may help or hurt your situation.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Well, now that I have my physical vs. logical file naming set up properly, it's a simple matter of copying from the domain of origin to the domain of destination. Then all I need to do is edit the HTML Launch Pages and replace the IBIMR_domain and IBIMR_folder values with those from the new domain.

It's not too painful from a deployment perspective. The trick will be when we make changes to one of the original procedures.

John - Would you be willing to share the code behind your procedure that does the search and replace of procedure files at the DOS level?

Thanks,

Dan

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, are your launch pages a URL or HTM file.

If it is an HTM file, you may be able to get the domain from the call URL.

Run one and have alook at the address. It should have things like IBIMR_action, IBIMR_sub_action, IBIMR_fex, IBIMR_folder, IBIMR_domain.

All you have to do is write a small script to populate the objects on the form onload.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Waz,

I tried creating a URL in the 'client' domain that calls an HTML file in the 'source' domain. I created it by first opening the HTML page from the 'source' domain and copying the URL from the browser address bar.

When the user from the 'client' domain tries to open the HTML file (that is physically in the 'source' domain) the error: "ERROR_MR_CANT_OPEN_DOMAIN_FOR_USER" comes up.

The URL looks like...

http://[servername]:8080/ibi_apps/Controller?WORP_REQUE...&IBIMR_random=30446&

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. - How do I get the full URL to display without the forum changing the format? If you right-click it and view the properties you can see the full text.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

Expert
posted Hide Post
re your PS: CODE tags!
and re having your fexes viewable by all...
ah the beauty of a self-serv app

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I put the URL in between CODE and /CODE tags but the display still looked the same as it does now. I removed them thinking that the forum woudn't interpret it as code and would include my text verbatim. Oh well!

I agree that a self-service app would be the ultimate way to go but we just don't have the expertise in house. We're just trying to squeeze as much functionality out of the MRE/BID layer as we can.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, sorry, I wasn't clear in my description.

What you need to do is create a new file in MRE with the editor, paste in the HTML document, then when saving, change from Focexec File to Html File.

When the HTML file is run you will see the parms in the address.

Try this code out

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
 <head>
  <title> New Document </title>
  <meta name="Generator" content="EditPlus">
  <meta name="Author" content="">
  <meta name="Keywords" content="">
  <meta name="Description" content="">
  <script language="JavaScript">
  <!--
   function showParms() {
    var _urlsplit = document.location.toString().split('?') ;
    var _parmsplit = _urlsplit[1].split('&') ;
    var _parms = _parmsplit.join('\n') ;
    alert(_parms) ;
   }
  //-->
  </script>
 </head>

<body onload="showParms()">

</body>
</html>

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Guru
posted Hide Post
Waz,

It's been a while since I've had the chance to deal with this again. Here is what I've tried...
-Created a 'common' domain called CommonFiles.
-Put my application procedures and launch pages in the 'common' domain (one of those procedures is the main ad-hoc html page for our application).
-Created a .fex in a 'client' domain with an HTML include that calls the ad-hoc html page from the 'common' domain. It looks like
-HTMLFORM commonfi/app/er1n6qvm.htm
-When I run the .fex from the 'client' domain it does launch the html page from the 'common' domain but then I get errors.
-The listboxes on my launch page are populated by procedures. After trying to populate the listboxes I get another browser window with the error: ERROR_MR_CANT_OPEN_DOMAIN_FOR_USER Can't open domain commonfi/commonfi.htm for user dpinault. That is because user dpinault has access to the 'client' domain but not the 'common' domain.

How do you get around that issue? I can't add all my users to the 'common' domain because that will expose the 'common' domain contents to the users of different 'client' domains. It will also expose any shared reports. In short, it will defeat the purpose of having different user Groups/Domains. I wish it was possible for Group-Level security to control what is displayed in the Domain Tree and use Domain-Level security to control what the different users/groups have access to.

Thanks again,

Dan

Expert
posted Hide Post
put your listbox fexes in apps, or "on the backend" as they call it.
i share your pain, and i, too, wish that bid were a better and more flexible app.
You can assign an app path to a domain.
or, you can always make your launch pages from fexes that declare their own absolute app path on line 1

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

Great suggestion! I modified one of my launch pages and it seems to be working just fine.

Rumor has it that v7.7.x will allow much more control of the BID environment. Let's hope!

Thanks,

Dan

Expert
posted Hide Post
aha! good for you.
lets be hopeful!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I wanted to get some clarification, as we are looking at something similar. I currently have procedures for populating the list boxes which rely on the IBIMR_user to go against the proper rows on the table. This works fine if it is in the same domain, however I am not sure how to make this work if I put those fexes in an application folder instead. I have tried just moving them, but get errors. Can someone give me a simple step by step of what to change, knowing that I need to user id for my procedures to work?

WF 7.6.4
Windows XP and UNIX

Expert
posted Hide Post
Magic,
/APPS folders aren't in mre, so they can't address the &IBIMR_user. the MR is for Managed Reporting.
so, leave the fexes in MRE.
if you want to make the mechanics in these fexes usable across multiple domains (if that's why you are moving them to apps), then there are a number of options:
eg: let your launch page fex call the backend fex
Like this:
mydrop1.fex (in the domain and in the launch)
-TYPE &IBIMR_user (or whatever you're doing with your userid)
-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE someapp/mydrop11.fex
so you can share your logic across your different places.
Any help?
-s.