Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Reading from an Excel File from WF on Windows Server 2008/2012

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Reading from an Excel File from WF on Windows Server 2008/2012
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I again have a need to have WebFOCUS read data from an Excel spreadsheet. In the past I've used the "Driver do Microsoft Excel" driver in ODBC to connect, which is no longer available on Windows Server 2008 and 2012.

Question -- how are you guys using Excel as a data source on Windows 2008/2012 platforms?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I created a web application that uses Comma Separated Value (CSV) text files. These files can easily be opened in Excel, and Excel can save them back as CSV.

The monthly files are in a directory on a WebFOCUS server, and all file names start with a similar sequence of characters; they are all read and treated as if they were a single database table.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but this work will be for non-tech-savvy users and I'm trying to keep the look and feel as clean and simple as possible. If I have them use a CSV it's going to be pretty primitive looking, and they're likely to put a comma someplace it doesn't belong.

This is something that somebody has surely solved recently, as it's such a powerful use of WebFOCUS (and what makes WF so damn cool to work with). 2008 has been out for almost a decade at this point.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
John,
Did you try using the direct excel adapter (SUFFIX=DIREXCEL)?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Was not aware that existed. I tried it and got a bunch of ugly,

(FOC1522) ntjprerr: CALLPGM connect error caused by:
   (FOC1522)  java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ibi.jvvget.jvvxls. CPJAVA: Error
   (FOC1522)  in processing CONNECT command for Class ibi.jvvget.jvvxls
   (FOC1522) 
   (FOC003) THE FIELDNAME IS NOT RECOGNIZED: WORKSHEET
    BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND
   (FOC009) INCOMPLETE REQUEST STATEMENT

. . . but at least I know what IBI's approach to the problem is now. I don't think I'll be able to convince my client to purchase another adapter at the moment, so it looks like I'm boxed out.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey John,

Go to the start button in Windows 2008 server and type "ODBC Data Source" and it should find the ODBC Admin application. You should still be able to achieve your ODBC access to MS Excel for the time being.

Not tried W2012 though so I'll leave that to you.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

You can get the windows 64bit Excel ODBC driver by installing a 64bit version of MS Office on the server. (At least on windows 2008 there are 2 ODBC interfaces 32bit and 64bit , since WF Server is a 64bit application it will recognize only the 64bit ODBC drivers)

Yours,
Eran
SRL Products

http://www.srl.co.il

Posts: 97 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: November 20, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Installing Office 64 Bit on the server didn't work for me. The driver that appeared would not allow WebFOCUS to connect, throwing an error indicating that the file is locked, when it's not. So it appears I'll need to make a custom screen for this work.

Thanks for the recommendations, sorry none of them worked.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Here are two links on the Techsupport site for uploading Excel files.

Uploading Data Files

Using the Adapter for Excel

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post