Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Closed] Slicer-like chaining through HTML composer?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Closed] Slicer-like chaining through HTML composer?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi Team,

If you've ever played with InfoMini, you know that slicers are a compelling feature. The thing that sets them apart is that they are chained against each other, without having to define a hierarchy. If I pick a slicer value in any order, the other slicers reduce values to match.

I've not been able to duplicate this chaining logic using HTML composer. That tool seems to imposes a hierarchical chaining logic, meaning I need to tell it that first this filter is picked, then that affects these other filters, which affect these other filters. I say 'seems to impose,' because I hope that I'm wrong. There's always room to look in the mirror for any "missing" features.

Why not just use InfoMini, you ask? Good question! I like the ability to control the look and feel of a launch page, and to add custom javascript events when required. As good as InfoMini is, I am not able to extend it beyond 'out-of-the-box.'

Thoughts on if what I'm looking for is possible?

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You cannot do this in Composer. The chain needs to be in an explicit order.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Thank you for the definitive reply.

I'm eager to embrace the new world of InfoAssist over Dev Studio, because of features like advanced slicer chaining. I'm on the cusp of getting a WF8 sandbox, where I know things will get even more impressive with IA.

Cheers,

Joey

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I do wonder what InfoMini is and why something that has the word "mini" in it can do something that HTML Composer can most emphatically cannot do.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

I'm excited that I get to teach you something, as I've learned so much from your posts over the years.

My take is that InfoMini is a cross between an output format type and a scaled down version of InfoAssist. It lets you do something analogous to having a Guided Ad Hoc launch page for a report that you built with InfoAssist.

Here's what you do to try it:

-Start InfoAssist, and make a new report based on a synonym (InfoMini does not work with reporting objects)
-drag some fields onto the report, as desired
-Click the format button, choose InfoMini, and also Active Reports
-Click the Slicers menu, drag two of the fields to a slicer group
-Run the report

What's you'll see is two small buttons near the top, one for format and one for slicers. Press the slicers button. Now you see a drop down list for each field that you added to the slicer group. Despite being a combo box, this list is multi-selectable. Choose some slicer values, click Run, and you're report will update accordingly.

Of particular interest, and the point of my post, is that you may choose the slicers in any order, and the remaining slicers chain-reduce to match. It is, therefor, impossible to have a combination of slicer values that result in no data in the report. It is also infinitely better, in my opinion, than hierarchically chained filters, because I do not have to presuppose the order in which my users pick filters. It is of particular value for engagements where it is hard to get the client to commit to specs, as it is so flexible.

As to why HTML composer (I laughed when you first called it composter), does not support this, I can only suppose that it is because InfoAssist is the future. I'm dipping my toes into WF8, and I'm deeply pleased with what I'm finding. It's got the flash and pizzaz that was missing from 7.x, largely due to enhanced IA and HTML5 graphs. I suspect you'll want to make your own assessment, but I think you might agree that composer is not going to be needed much longer.

Cheers,

Joey

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Don't throw out Dev Studio just yet. InfoAssist is not there for heavy duty development. It is primarily a tool for end users or power users to roll their own employing maybe 85% of WebFOCUS's capacity . I expect that Dev Studio will eventually take on the look and feel of an InfoAssit like interface but retain the ability to step out into more extensive manual coding.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alex,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. This is all great if the client had paid for InfoAssist, unless InfoAssist and InfoMini are included in the basic WF 8 licence.

I am curious about the phrase "impossible to have a combination of slicer values that result in no data in the report" - does this mean the InfoMini parameter screen points to the actual data (fact) table? What would the response time be for these interactive slicers if there are millions of rows of data?

By the way, I wasn't the one that coined the term "HTML Composter", which, I believe, was born of a slip of the fingers on the keyboard.

Cheers,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
InfoMini is basically a cutesy name for a report created in InfoAssist where the developer can give the user a certain amount of control over the report. The amount of control ranges from simply executing the report to providing the ability to make some modifications. If would be similar to creating a reporting object for use with the old Report Assist.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You probably know this by now, but a basic version of Info Assist is included in WF 8. If you want the more advanced functionality, then you would need to pay for more.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, in WF8, the InfoMini slicer chaining has been modified. It no longer chains, it is a distinct list of values and you can now generate reports with No Data with ease. The rational for this change was performance reasons, which touches on Francis' question about performance against millions of rows of data.

I wish this was a setting, rather than a wholesale change, as I really, really appreciated the slicer behaviour in 7.7.

Cheers,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows