Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
SQL 2005 Databases
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
We are using the SQL2000 adapte to access SQL2000 databases. We are thinking of upgrading to SQL2005.

I just tested connecting to our SQL2005 test database with the WF SQL200 adapter and it worked. I was surprised. I didn't think it would work.

Is anyone else doing this? Have you encountered any problems?

Here is the code I used.

SQL SQLMSS COMMIT

ENGINE SQLMSS SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION CCR2005

SQL SQLMSS
SELECT * FROM LOG;

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
END

(Production: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
(Test: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)

Posts: 104 | Location: Boston | Registered: April 23, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We are using the same adapter for both the sql2000 and sql2005 databases
But I'm not sure if this in fact should be two different adapters.

Frank

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Lenny,

We are using both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 with the same SQL 2000 adapter without any problem.

Like Frank already mentionned it's not sure that you should use 2 different adapters or not. For me this works with one and the same.

I realy wonder what the difference realy is between the two. Anyone an idea?

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We found that the 2000 adapter couldn't access MS SQL Server 2005, but when we upgraded to the 2005 adapter, it could access both 2000 and 2005.

This is on the Linux reporting server, where the native MS SQL adapter is implemented via JDBC. We had to get 2005 JDBC drivers. This may be one reason for the different implementations.

Regards,

Dan Kenny
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Prod: WF 7.1.6 BID/MRE/DataMigrator Test: WF 7.6.1 BID/MRE/DataMigrator

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know why you would need the SQL2005 adapter if the SQL2000 adapter works for both SQL2000 and SQL2005.

Maybe someone from IBI could respond to this question?

Lenny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I did not hear anymore on this so I opened up a case with IBI.

The case number is 31072004

I wanted IBI to confirm or deny that the SQL2000 adapter is SUPPORTED when connecting to a SQL2005 database.

This is what I got back on my case.

" ok, I will create a symptom problem for this.
But please be aware that this configuration is functional but it is not officially supported.
This is due to the fact that if there are issues that arise that need to be add ressed by programming we will not be able to address the 2005 adapter for MS SQL 2000 as it will most likely break things from the 2005 adapter going against the MS SQL 2005 server."

I guess it comes down to buyer beware.

Master
posted Hide Post
you *could* try using ODBC instead.

We ended up going that route after having nothing but trouble connecting to a DB2/400 database, and performance seems fine.

We do however, get a "well, we can't help you with connectivity issues using that method, so we recommend using the provided adapter" on more than one occasion when contacting tech support.

Use the adapter if you can, if you get trouble use ODBC.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

posted Hide Post
If you are using both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 Servers, I would recommend using the SQL 2005 client. This is typically how you would install a new instance.

WebFOCUS 53, 71, 76 - All Platforms

Posts: 15 | Location: Information Builders - Chicago | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post