Focal Point
How to display a message when you have no output

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/265104551

June 18, 2009, 04:35 PM
Inderjit
How to display a message when you have no output
I want to display a message when there is no output. Currently I get the no output message and then I set the empty report on but this just gives me an empty screen. I want to display a message if there is no output and the output when there is an output.

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Windows
HTML
June 18, 2009, 04:52 PM
Francis Mariani
There are quite a few responses about this in FocalPoint.

Basically, you test if there are no rows in the report and display an HTML page with a message. The bare minimum code would look like this:

TABLE FILE ...
PRINT ...
END
-RUN
-IF &LINES EQ 0 GOTO EMPTYREPORT;

-EXIT

-EMPTYREPORT
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html>
<body>
No data for this report.
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
June 18, 2009, 05:57 PM
Doug
That's about as basic as it get's and is a great / standard way of doing it.

Inderjit, Just FYI: Checkout the the use of EMPTYREPORT as well. If you don't need it for now, it will come in handy someday...
June 19, 2009, 12:56 AM
dhagen
If you just want to display your own message whenever a report fails or returns zero rows, you could change the response template to whatever message you want. Edit the entemplate.xml in the client/wfc/etc directory, and look for the template named "error_42". That is the default message. Add your own html there and it will be done for good without having to test the report results.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott