Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ACTIVE REPORTS and Activex controls, problem

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ACTIVE REPORTS and Activex controls, problem
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
not much on the Point about Active Reports yet...i'm having trouble getting *all* the features to work.
When i try a feature such as 'export to xml'or 'send as email', i get a popup window
"to use this feature youmust enable ActiveX in your browser security settings; Please enable "initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" in your security settings"
so...
how do i do that? in ie7, in tools/internet options/security doesn't seem to use the words ActiveX anywhere anymore...
I cant add localhost to my list of trusteds, as that requires https
and once you try to export, and can't, devstu locks up on you...the little hourglass never goes away.

The export to csv produces an unimportable, random line-break file, useless.

Does anyone know how to get around the ActiveX issue?
Does anyone know how to adjust the list of offerings in an AHTML report so we can *not* offer the things that don't work? Having just one offering that doesn't work makes users *hate* the product.
thanks...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I understand, but have not tried with active reports, that this should do it:

1. Open up Internet Explorer 7
2. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options
3. From the new popup window, select the Security tab
4. Ensure that you highlight Internet
5. Click on the button named Custom level
*The Security Settings menu will now come into view*
6. Scroll down the settings until you reach "ActiveX controls and plug-ins"
7. Ensure the settings are as below -

Allow previously unused ActiveX controls to run without prompt
Enable

Allow Scriptlets
Disable

Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls
Enable

Binary and script behaviours
Enable

Display video and animation on a web page that does not use external media player
Disable

Download signed ActiveX controls
Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls
Disable

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting
Disable

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
Enable

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe from scripting*
Enable

Please ensure that you click OK, once finished – to save

** With these settings now updated, you should close down all Internet Explorer windows and resume as normal.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
aha.
that's where to look! thanks, alan.
I found it, found the exact setting referred to in the error message
and switched it to 'enable'
My ie had a fit, security warnings up the gazzink.., restarted ie,
and it STILL didn't work when running the AHTML fex.
So i think that makes Active Reports a serious nogo...unless we can customize the list of choices in the dropdowns to avoid the nasty security ones.
Why can't wf use some validatable activex??

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sussanah

I thought you could use:

ALLOW-CALC=OFF,
ALLOW-CHART=OFF,
ALLOW-EXPORT=OFF,
ALLOW-VISUALIZE=OFF,
etc.
in the stylesheet to turn off some options.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The activex controls that Active Report uses are all Microsoft Office's activex controls. I assume that Microsoft validates their own controls.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
ALLOW-EXPORT

Brilliant again, Alan.
I searched on Allow-export and found a whole manual section that isn't in the GUI manual i'm using. (yes, i said GUI, i'm *trying* to see how far i can go with it Wink
Setting ALLOW-EXPORT=OFF nukes the display of those offerings..all but email..i'll now go work on that.
Thanks for 'Point'ing me in the right direction with the right keyword.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

I have had ActiveX control messages like you have and have changed security settings like Alan suggested that you do and have been able to do the exporting to all the output types.

I have not done anything fancy in the stylesheet section. But maybe I should go read up on those settings ..............

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting

Ginny, would you check your setting of this one, for me?
Alan says to disable it.
The error message says to enable it.
i'm wicked confused.
thanks.
s

Expert
posted Hide Post
On my 'local internet' I have it enabled.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
aha!
local intranet, not internet
duh,
that's the ticket!
bless your heart!
round on me at Summit!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Won't see you. I'm a contractor and can't afford to go on my own time or dime.

But have fun for me anyway!

Ginny

posted Hide Post
I'm having the same issue but following Alan's instructions didn't work. Has anyone gotten this to work? How?

WebFOCUS 7.6.2
DB2, V5R4
Output: PDF

Posts: 16 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: December 04, 2007Report This Post