Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] box and whisker plot

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] box and whisker plot
 Login/Join

posted
What would be the best way to get the data needed for a box and whisker plot? They have a function for Median but not the other quartiles.

Any ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
A box and whisker plot-also called a box plot-displays the five-number summary of a set of data. The five-number summary is the minimum, first quartile, median, third quartile, and maximum. In a box plot, we draw a box from the first quartile to the third quartile. A vertical line goes through the box at the median.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
No that didnt help. I an not sure how to calculate the quartiles...

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So I know what a box and whisker plot is and I know what is needed to make one.

My question is not what are the data points in it.

My question is how to calculate said data points.

IB has a function for calculating the median but as far as I can tell they dont have it for calculating the first, or third quartiles. I also know how to calculate the min and max. I dont know how to get IB to calculate the quartiles properly.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
So I found this:

https://techsupport.informatio...cof/cof_tcn_073.html

But when I put in my parameters I get this:

(FOC958) ATTEMPT TO USE ONLINE COMMAND IN BATCH MODE FAILED

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Use the min. and max. prefix operators on the fields to get the min and max values.

Ref: 'F1' Help from AppStudio (may be available using "http://localhost:8080/ibi_apphelp/index.jsp"), search for 'prefix operators'

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
calculating the first, or third quartiles

Try this to calculate q1 and q3?

1: Put the numbers in order. ...
2: Find the median. ...
3: Place parentheses around the numbers above and below the median. Not necessary statistically, but it makes Q1 and Q3 easier to spot. ...
4: Find Q1 and Q3. ...
5: Subtract Q1 from Q3 to find the interquartile range.

posted Hide Post
Could you provide an example using the car file or something? I need to be able to calculate Q1 and Q3 programatically so that it can be automated

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an example I did a few years ago. Notice the

IN-GROUPS-OF 4 TILES

for calculating quartiles. Reference this Doc.
Scroll down to Grouping Numeric Data Into Tiles section.

SET PAGE=NOLEAD,STYLE=ENDEFLT,BYDISPLAY=ON,ASNAMES=ON

TABLE FILE ibisamp/ggsales
 PRINT SEQ_NO
    BY REGION
    BY DOLLARS AS 'SALES' 
    IN-GROUPS-OF 4 TILES
 ON TABLE HOLD AS quartiles
 END

TABLE FILE quartiles
  SUM MAX.SALES AS 'MAXSALES'
      MIN.SALES AS 'MINSALES'
   ACROSS HIGHEST TILE
       BY REGION
 ON TABLE HOLD AS maxmin
 END

GRAPH FILE maxmin
 SUM MAXSALES4
     MAXSALES3
     MAXSALES2
     MAXSALES1
     MINSALES1
  BY REGION
 ON GRAPH PCHOLD FORMAT JSCHART
 ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH BOXPLOT
 ON GRAPH SET STYLE *
 INCLUDE=endeflt.sty,$
 *GRAPH_SCRIPT
 setReportParsingErrors(false);
 setSelectionEnableMove(false);
 setTextRotation(getO1Label(),0);
 setDisplay(getO1MajorGrid(),false);
 setTransparentFillColor(getFrame(),true);
 setBorderColor(getY1MajorGrid(),new Color(220,220,220));
 *END
 ENDSTYLE
 END

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! This is what I was looking for and its wayyy simpler than what I had come up with. Ill convert my code to use this method instead.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs