Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     JDBC Socket Error - unable to start distribution server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
JDBC Socket Error - unable to start distribution server
 Login/Join

posted
This is a new installation of version 7.1.3, and we are unable to resolve the JDBC error when starting the distribuiton server. The MRE is executing reports, so the data adapter must be working. What configuration steps have we missed?

WebFOCUS 713, preparing to migrate to 763
Windows platform
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF.
preparing to use Visual Discovery and Compound Reports

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ken,

I'm on a Unix platform with DB2 so I can't tell you exactly what the problem is but I can give you a couple of ideas.

First, it may be that when the RC installation was done, the JDBC drivers were mis-typed. Check your classpath file in the RC bin directory to make sure that it is correct.

Also to test, you can use the testcfg utility in the same directory. Make sure that it runs successfully before you even attempt to start the distribution server. It might also give you better/different error messages.

Sorry I can be more help.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Try adding:

ENGINE SQLMSS SET TRANSACTIONS AUTOCOMMITTED

to the edasprof.prf file of your server. We had the same error and this resolved it.

Also remember:
ENGINE SQLMSS SET VARCHAR OFF
ENGINE SQLMSS SET OPTIFTHENELSE ON
ENGINE SQLMSS SET ISOLATION RU

This also sorted other JDBC errors for us.

Posts: 16 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: July 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ken,
Some questions for you:
- Exactly what error do you get and at what point in starting the Distribution server?
- Is there anything in the log file(s)?
- Have you switched on the tracing of the distribution server and if so, does that reveal some more info?
- What database are you trying to connect to?
- Are you able to create the databases using the create utility provided?
- What exactly is in the connect string in your config that connects to the database?

It always helps me greatly to try and find out what's wrong when as much as possible relevant information is provided.

Sometimes, just by checking again, I find a small typo or something else that's wrong, and then I wonder why I haven't seen that before.

Hope this helps

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for their replies,

It started working after the DBA performed additional maintenance on the database.

WebFOCUS 713, preparing to migrate to 763
Windows platform
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF.
preparing to use Visual Discovery and Compound Reports