Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How do you rate Free Form capability of this tool

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How do you rate Free Form capability of this tool
 Login/Join

<NIVAS>
posted
Hi guys,
I worked on different reporting tools like "crystal reportS" and MS-ACCESS and WebFOCUS,I found out that this tool doesnt have enough strength at free form placement ,The reason why i am posting is i am currently working on a replicating MS-ACCESS applications with this product,I had problems trying to replicate ACCESS since ACCESS has great degree of free form capability,If you guys have any suggestions on this please let me know

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I would suggest using the Resource Layout tool that is part of Developer Studio, release 5.2.1.

This tool provides the capability to create self service reports and graphs, with pixel positioning, static and dynamic dropdowns, images, etc.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm curious how free-form would apply to how you display the fields on a simple report.

For example, say you want to display one page per query row returned, with the fields from that row displayed anywhere that you want on the page. I don't see how you can do that in resource layout.

Posts: 59 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: September 01, 2004Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
It isn't very free-form. Try aligning columns from two line in the free-form report - not pretty.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There are some folks at Hartford Insurance who have shown us (at a users group meeting) some very lovely free-form reporting, and their output is done with TABHEADING, HEADING, SUBHEAD,SUBFOOT , FOOTING and RECAP . Its amazing what they could produce with these report features. And their output was in PDF, which is the most restrictive and painful. If your output is HTML, freeform of course can be anything you can think up.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
If their solution allows for the use of picture graphics/logos, plus flexibility in fonts and highlighting, I'd be curious to know how they did it.

From what I've tried, based on what was in the documentation (set style off, set stylemode fixed), I get no formatting - I may as well be developing in Cobol on the mainframe. As well, report painter couldn't be used to help reduce development time.

I'm sure with enough effort, you could get something halfway decent, but I want to be able to develop something in 5 minutes, not 5 days. Unless I'm missing something - if not, please tell me this will be enhanced in a future release. (we're on 5.2.6, upgrading soon to 5.3.2) Thanks, Brad

Posts: 59 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: September 01, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For us who have used crystal report, i think we just have to stop thinking or even stop comparing how easy it is to do free formating in crystal report...we just have to deal with it and make our way how we gonna do it webfocus...albeit not like crystal!

Posts: 24 | Location: NY | Registered: May 30, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Inside...
if you come to the users group meeting in New England (August this year), i'm sure the 2 developers will be there. That's where i saw their presentation. They had used HEADING, TABHEADING,SUBHEAD, RECAP,SUBFOOT AND FOOTING

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS 7

Everyone WebFOCUS 7 has a PDF painter that allows for more advanced freeform painting of Reports.

posted Hide Post
The PDF painter allows you to move objects (text, images, etc) around except, correct me if am wrong, individual datafields which Crystal is known for - Unless you embed/import/reference an existing report into the pdf painter thats how you kinda wrap around datafields...but not individually.

On the side note:
"...That's where i saw their presentation. They had used HEADING, TABHEADING,SUBHEAD, RECAP,SUBFOOT AND FOOTING.."

Yes, am pretty sure it can be done too in WebFocus...no doubt 'bout that. But if we're talking about "rapid development" of free form reports, it's not really that easy...oh well, once you get the idea, it becomes easy anyway - NO FEAR WebFocus Smiler

cheers,

posted Hide Post
guys Smiler

i think ive found a somewhat similar feature to Crystal's but quite limited (only in Page Heading/Page Footer section) when doing free formats. When in the Report Painter screen, you need to turn on the Alignment Grid tool/option. It will let you define the number of rows/columns you want and all other options such as justification etc. Once you have those grids, then you can start painting your fields along with other objects such as text, images etc. You can add/delete items or cells by right clicking on existing ones or modify each cell's size according to the look and feel of your report and do all other stuffs such as conditional formatting, drill down etc.

Though a number of Crystal's features i would love to see in Webfocus (persuade Gerald Cohen to install Crystal in his pc Wink ) ...like format your date data fields (e.g from mm-yy to long date format) or any other fields thru GUI right in the Page Heading section and all other gazillion GUI tools/features. GUI is the keyword for rapid development i guess it makes life easier Smiler but for now, am happy...the free form report it took me an hour to do yesterday (with all the back and forth from GUI to hand coding the style sheet), after i played with the Grid Alignment tool was reduced to 5 mins Wink yay for that!!!Feels like Crystal Wink hehehe

cheers,