Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Need ability to duplicate portal and edit in text mode

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Need ability to duplicate portal and edit in text mode
 Login/Join

posted
I've been working on a project for well over a year and a new requirement has surfaced that requires me to add a new detail in every synonym and report. I also have a portal which organizes several dozen reports.

I need to transition users quickly but not abruptly. So the old and new reporting need to both be active for some period of time.

I created a folder to deploy a few examples for testing and approvals before rolling out the changes across the board. I have made a very small change name change to the reports to help me during the cut over.

My options (as I see them) for rolling out the change is to:
- duplicate the entire folder structure and keep the report names the same
- duplicate within the existing folder structure changing the report names (keep existing security!)

It's easy enough to duplicate and edit the synonyms and reports, but it would be extremely helpful if I could duplicate my portal and edit the [folders] or [report names] in text mode.

Without this ability the only option I see is to create a new portal and duplicate all the setup manually, incorporating the updated folder / report names as needed.

Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Dennis Tuttle
WebFOCUS 8.201M
iSeries V7.2
Active, HTML, Excel

Posts: 12 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 01, 2017Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Dennis

Welcome to Focal Point! It is a great forum for getting answers to your development questions.

The ability to edit portal contents in text would be a new feature request. I seriously doubt that they would want to provide that capability though because there is too much chance for errors that would corrupt the portal.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I submitted a ticket and was told that it wasn't possible.

I agree that editing the portal could cause problems. Just like editing any report file in text mode. That's why backups and testing are part of any sane development project.

I have many compound documents that I wouldn't think of managing through the gui. Without the text edit option I probably wouldn't be using them at all.

Just my opinion. Worth every cent you paid for it.

Dennis Tuttle
WebFOCUS 8.201M
iSeries V7.2
Active, HTML, Excel

Posts: 12 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 01, 2017Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dennis

Your opinion is appreciated. I understand your point of view.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post