Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Report Caster] Generate a pdf report without sending email

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Report Caster] Generate a pdf report without sending email
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I would like to use Report Caster only as a scheduler. In fact, I would like to generate a .pdf file on a directory without sending this report via email. Is it possible?
When I try to do that, I receive an error notification via email with this message : "no report to distribute". The report is created into my directory and it is not sent via email. That's what I want, but I don't want this error message.

Can somebody help me to set-up this tool?

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 running on Windows
Output formats : PDF, Excel and HTML
My blog

Posts: 61 | Location: Luxembourg | Registered: October 31, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I just noticed in the 764 SofNF that you are going to be able to globally set for RC whether the no report issue is to be reported as an error.

You can try setting the error notification to 'never' if you are brave.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
GinnyJakes I'm not so stupid!

I don't want to set the error notification parameter to "Never" because I want to receive the others "true" errors.

My blog

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That new feature Jenny mentions will be nice...we have a little dummy report that we send with the the report...so you don't get no report to distribute you get an e-mail with an inline message that says:
Job Has Completed

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That new feature was a result of a posting a few months back about this exact issue. If there is no report, that's not necessarily an error. The new feature mentioned should resolve the issue. Now if we can just get to that new version...

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jereny,

I never meant to intimate that you were stupid. I am sorry that you took what I said that way. My apologies to you.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Schedule the report to distribute to an FTP server.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
or do as Prarie said, but if you do not even want that message, send it to moon@outer.space, I'm sure you never get an answer Big Grin

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just create a dummy TABLE request at the end of your FEX and put an -EXIT before it

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GinnyJakes:
Jereny,

I never meant to intimate that you were stupid. I am sorry that you took what I said that way. My apologies to you.

No problem GinnyJakes

My blog

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prarie:
That new feature Jenny mentions will be nice...we have a little dummy report that we send with the the report...so you don't get no report to distribute you get an e-mail with an inline message that says:
Job Has Completed

With the 7.6.2 version, we have the same result.

My blog

Expert
posted Hide Post
The change is in 764, not 762 and it is a global setting, not an individual schedule setting. Not sure if that is a good thing.

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Comment on the post by ehuda - I would absolutely avoid using a -EXIT in ANY ReportCaster request. It can cause all sort of undesirable issues.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
as well as &ECHO setting and -Quit.

Ira
aix 533 wf 5.3.6

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We usually have a table request at the end of the FEX that does a record count. I save that output to the library -- you're not forced to email it, you're just forced to distribute it somehow and the library qualifies. You can also set it to save only 1 version -- the beauty is, then you can leave all of the notifications on so you only get the email if something produces an error and if you really need to, you can go check the library for the record count (or whatever) to see if it really did work (and possibly what it did).

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
here's a way, just don't specify PDF in the caster output, just specify html or alpha or something harmless, and have your fex FILEDEF the pdf output to wherever you want it on your server.
FILEDEF MYFILE DISK D:\wherever\MYFILE.PDF or .XLS
i run the same fex with 2 different options, live, or parkit;
live..there is no filedef for the output file
parkit..there is a filedef and i bypass the -HTMLFORM display, or, for excel or pdf, on table hold instead of on table pchold; now, apologize to Ginny.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post