Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Dev Studio Composer -- Completely Turned Off??

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Dev Studio Composer -- Completely Turned Off??
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I always roll my own for html files, but I've decided to take a step into the HTML "Composer" in Dev Studio to see what it can do in 7.7. Customers ask and I need to be able to speak to its capabilities.

As best I can tell it can't do anything. Everything is grayed out so I can't build a form. I've clicked all around but as best I can tell the entire tool is turned off. The only thing I can do is toggle the grid dots.

This is one INCREDIBLY stupid question, but here goes -- how do I create a text field in my form in Composer??

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I usually write my fex before I create the parameter page for it.
1. Draw a frame.
2. Right click the frame. Frame Properties. Execute External Procedure.
3. Popup for parameters. Control Type will be Text box. I usually pick "Do not create a form" but its up to you. Everyone does it differently.

Also you can create the Text Box before you link your frame to fex. But then it is not bound to a Parameter. You then have to click on the Parameters tab and bind it to the appropriate parameter.
I try to save multiple versions of the HTML files. It is hard to roll back once you have messed up something. Too many orphaned requests and HTML controls in the HTML.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah, your last comment was one of the primary reasons I create my own from scratch.

So without a fex attached the tool is essentially turned off. Thanks for the tip.

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Two months later, I've come to the conclusion I'm the stupidest programmer on the planet, because I can't get any of my widgets to turn on. It doesn't matter whether I have a report in it or not.

Thank God I know how to write my own html and call WebFOCUS reports into it, because as best I can tell Dev Studio is bricked on my machine.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I am the second-stupidest programmer on the planet, because Dev Studio is not bricked on my machine, but I cannot enjoy working with HTML Composer. I've had my knuckles rapped for comments made, I've been asked to read the manual, I've received personalized Tech Support assistance, but none of this is making my use of HTML Composer any more pleasant.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
NOT "the stupidest programmer on the planet"... Just have yet to get the hang of the GUI Composer. I do something similar to what Mighty Max does, slightly different.

1) Write the fex, with all the variables which I want to see on my launch page (html file) -DEFAULTed.
2) Make sure it works. That is: it should use the WebFOCUS Autoprompting of the -DEFAULTed variables.
3) Create a new htm file using the HTML COMPOSER (or what ever it's called in your version).
4) Insert and iFrame (iframe1)
5) Add a button to that page.
6) Create a hyperlink to the fex mentioned in the 1st step, to iframe1, at which time the GUI prompts me (in a pop-up) for all the -DEFAULTed variables and I select the control type which I desire for each variable.
* NOTE: I do not use "New multiple Layer form" OR "New single layer form", I use "Do not create a form" (I wish that was the default option).
7) run the new form... And modify it till my heart's content, or...

Let me know how it works out for you.

BTW: I would much rather use that GUI then writing that code myself (and I used to be a Web Master).

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post

How do I complete step 4 (insert an iframe) if all of my buttons are grayed-out?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
modify it till my heart's content

I wouldn't dare. Return to a HTML Composer built page a few months after initial development, make changes, and you can get messed up pretty quick. Suddenly, because you re-bound your HTML Composer designed page to the fex it runs, you get unbound parameters, you get painstakingly pointed-and-clicked select list box values reset to the DEFAULT....

I am very happy coding much more sophisticated web pages than what HTML Composer can do, using freely available libraries like jQuery - you don't need RIA...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is what I get when Composer (7.7) starts up. All the widgets along the top of the screen are switched off, and I can't find a way to get them to switch on.

Expert
posted Hide Post
The first thing to do is turn off the template thing. That's probably what's stopping you from accessing the controls. I don't see the template setting any more because I tuned it off, but there should be something about templates when you create a new HTML page...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
When you are in the HTML Composer window, click on Tools > Settings. Un-click the Show 'Template Selector" dialog.

Then close the HTML Composer window. From the Explorer right-click the HTML page and select Edit in Composer. You should be able to click on the icons of the controls and add double-select list boxes, multi-select tree controls, etc and have fun to your heart's content.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mariani, I owe you a beer. The frikkin' templates screen was turning everything off. When I checked "don't show this again" the tool magically started working.

How did THAT clear formal test?

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yup, just verified this and if you have Show 'Template Selector' checked, you cannot make changes to the HTML Composer page. I hopoe someone pipes in to tell us why.

I've never found any use for the template selector and have never used it.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm ready for that frikkin' beer...

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I version 8 just click on "No Thanks" when the initial Composer selector screen comes up. In prior versions click on Cancel to avoid the template.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
John,

The documentation states that when templates are used, all the controls are added via the addition of a report or chart. The toolbar is disabled on purpose.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
When did the "Template Selector" show up? I don't see it in Tools > Settings...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thank you Francis! You're Awesome!
Finally I can turn off that annoying template selection page. No more clicking cancel every time. Beer awaits you in Michigan.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how these templates are useful. As far as I know, you can't add a template that's based on your company's design...

I'm up to two beers in two cities...

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'll recommend cashing mine in at Camden Yards. Buy a ticket in section 1 so we can get beer and ribs on Eutaw St between innings.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Baltimore and Kalamazoo, here I come!

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Anytime Smiler

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Doug,

The Template Selector was introduced in release 7702. They were created for the user who does not want to design a web page and just wants to connect their reports to existing containers.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com