Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Data manipulation questions

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Data manipulation questions
 Login/Join

posted
Ths is all FOCUS 6.8 on a UNIX mainframe... I've learned how to do table requests and how to restrict the data that is being retrieved, but I'm a little confused as to how to process records once they are retrieved from the database. For example, if I want to select some records, then use one field on each of those records as a key to perform some process such as looping or performing a case statement, then read the next record and do those same processes, how do I incorporate that type of code (loop, case, etc.) into a focexec? If the "table file production" is for report generation, what type of focexec is used to just perform processes on data? Are there two parts to FOCUS--a reporting part and another part that allows you to run a batch process, assign values to variables, loop, update files, etc.?

Thanks,
NewbieGirl777

Posts: 9 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: December 11, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Simply put, you have 3 basic parts to FOCUS. You have TABLE to collect data. You have MODIFY to update. You have Dialogue Manager (DM) for flow control. We had to mirgrate from a FOCUS 6.8 for HP-UX to WebFocus about 4 years ago because we changed platforms from an HP Unix box to Linux on a IBM z90 and FOCUS was not available on the new platform.

IMO, Data Manipulation is one of FOCUS' strongest features. Stuff would take one of our COBOL programs days and weeks to do, takes me just a few hours.

Our database is Oracle and it contains over 400 tables. Some of our reports use as many as 50-60 tables and require extensive manipulation.

If you can give a little more info, I'm positive that I and others on the board can help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jgelona,

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
TABLE file is for data cranking AND for final report preparation. As John say, MODIFY FILE is also available but you probably don't need to go that far. You can do a wicked amount with TABLE.
The best way to learn WF is to read someone else's code.
What are you going to DO with each of the values? Are you going to want to do someting completely different with each value?
OR..
are you going to want to DEFINE some new variable based on the value of COUNTRY?
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY BY CAR BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD
END
DEFINE FILE HOLD
CONTINENT/A20=IF COUNTRY IS 'SPAIN' OR 'FRANCE' OR 'ITALY' OR 'ENGLAND' THEN 'EUROPE' ELSE
IF COUNTRY IS 'BURKINO FASO' THEN 'IM NOT SURE'
ELSE 'AMERICA';
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
SUM SALES BY CONTINENT BY COUNTRY BY MODEL
END

... an example of a TABLE FILE generating interim data files that can be further DEFINE'd and TABLE'd against, until you get something you want to build a report on.

You can, also, do actual Looping based on a list of values you create , but actual looping has the objective of DIFFERENT outputs for each value of the loop. Whereas in the example above we have one single output but have DEFINE'd a new field for each value of some variable.
Are we clearing up the fuzz a little?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post