Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] WebFOCUS82 ReportCaster API (Legacy) Setup

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS82 ReportCaster API (Legacy) Setup
 Login/Join

posted
We're upgrading from WebFOCUS81 to WebFOCUS82 we use ReportCaster on another Linux OS server where our ETL tool is installed. I notice the Legacy ReportCaster API setup is slightly different with 82 than 81 but the setup instructions are the same. For one, there's no "webconfig.xml" file per mentioned in the setup instructions. Anyone have experience configuring 8.2 for this? I'm getting an error "Login failed for user 'ReportCaster'" and without the webconfig.xml I don't know where it's getting the repository credentials. I have a support ticket open, but wanted to ask here as well for any personal experience findings. Thank You!

For example, I'm running this command from a command line...
quote:
CLASSPATH=/opt/sqljdbc_3.0/enu/sqljdbc4.jar:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/lib/reportcaster.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/samples/Tools/CompiledCode /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin/java S11_Get_OwnerList

I get a long error that contains messages like this...
quote:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Connection to repository DB failed.
Caused by: com.ibi.ibfs.error.IBFSException: Repository username or password is invalid
Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: Exception [EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.6.3.v20160428-59c81c5): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user 'ReportCaster'.
Error Code: 18456

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Internal Exception: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user 'ReportCaster'.

Can you check if your 'Reportcaster' user's password is correct ?

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Posts: 39 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: July 25, 2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the main Windows WebFOCUS82 server ReportCaster is working properly, so I'm certain the password is entered correctly. It's only on this remote Linux installation where we've copied the /ibi/WebFOCUS82 folder that I'm unsure where it's sourcing the ReportCaster credentials to ensure it's correct

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

posted Hide Post
Also, does version 8.2 utilize a "webconfig.xml" file, and if so how does that file get generated because currently I don't find it in the /ibi/WebFOCUS82 folder?

The only file I can find that contains the 'ReportCaster' login is the "install.cfg" file and the password is encrypted so I can't visually verify that it's correct

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr. Brown

In 82 I notice we seem to have a newer set of config files.

Look inside these 2 files (/ibi/WebFOCUS82/config/)

1) install.cfg (this is where your IBI_REPOS_DB_USER probably is).
2) webfocus.cfg

If you still have your older config folder, it's kind of educational to try to find where everything moved to. It's all still in there, just a different place and sometimes layout. For example, webfocus.cfg isn't .xml anymore. just name=value pairs are in there.

It seems like the defaults from your install time are in install.cfg and must get overridden by anything that might be in webfocus.cfg. Or so it appears. I haven't got to watch the traces real closely yet.

My encrypted password actually looks a little different now (compared to 8105m): IBI_REPOS_DB_PASSWORD=[AES128I].

Also check your IBI_REPOS_DB_URL to make sure your aiming at the SQL Server database you think you are.

Also, which 8.2 release are you on? There's a preference in 8203 for sqljdbc42.jar instead of plain ol sqljdbc4.jar:

WebFOCUS and ReportCaster Installation and Configuration for UNIX Release 8.2 Version 03

Page 38
Note:
Multiple builds of the sqljdbc4.jar driver are available. Some of these builds are not
supported with WebFOCUS Release 8.2. It is recommended to use the latest version of
sqljdbc4.jar, preferably sqljdbc41.jar or sqljdbc42.jar.

The 8202 Install Manual says:

(page 37)
Note: The latest version of sqljdbc4.jar or sqljdbc41.jar is required. sqljdbc42.jar is not
supported.

We love WebFOCUS Smiler

posted Hide Post
Thanks for that detailed response! We're on 8.2 version 02
I switched to the newer JDBC software and dropped to "/opt/sqljdbc_4.1/enu/jre7/sqljdbc41.jar" and modified this script to point to that ==> "opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/utilities/setenv/utiluservars.sh"

I copied these lines from "install.cfg" into "webfocus.cfg"
IBI_REPOS_DB_USER=ReportCaster
IBI_REPOS_DB_PASSWORD=[AES128I]fBY0k3hajTNyo1Ui%2BxbuBQ%3D%3D
IBI_REPOS_DB_DRIVER=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
IBI_REPOS_DB_URL=jdbc:sqlserver://ERPDB1V\SQL2016:1436;DatabaseName=ReportCaster82

I still get 'ReportCaster' login failed when I try running the sample program that should return a short list of scheduled report owners Confused
quote:
infosphere02v:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/samples/Tools # CLASSPATH=/opt/sqljdbc_4.1/enu/jre7/sqljdbc41.jar:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/lib/reportcaster.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/samples/Tools/CompiledCode /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin/java S11_Get_OwnerList

******* S11_Get_OwnerList *****************
No bundle found
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (stdout).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
at com.ibi.ibfs.util.IBFSEntityUtils.testAndReconnectDB(IBFSEntityUtils.java:235)
at com.ibi.ibfs.IBFSService.loadCachedInfo(IBFSService.java:2656)
at com.ibi.ibfs.IBFSService.getIBFSService(IBFSService.java:3123)
at com.ibi.ibfs.IBFSService.getIBFSService(IBFSService.java:3067)
at com.ibi.ibfs.IBFSService.getIBFSService(IBFSService.java:3199)
at ibi.broker.api.CasterManagedConnectionFactory.(CasterManagedConnectionFactory.java:191)
at Util.createCasterConnection(Util.java:52)
at S11_Get_OwnerList.(S11_Get_OwnerList.java:30)
at S11_Get_OwnerList.main(S11_Get_OwnerList.java:50)
Caused by: com.ibi.ibfs.error.IBFSException: Repository username or password is invalid
at com.ibi.ibfs.util.IBFSEntityUtils.getEMFactoryWithExceptions(IBFSEntityUtils.java:128)
at com.ibi.ibfs.util.IBFSEntityUtils.getEMFactoryWithExceptions(IBFSEntityUtils.java:95)
at com.ibi.ibss.dbdriver.IBSSEntityManager.getEMF(IBSSEntityManager.java:167)
at com.ibi.ibss.dbdriver.IBSSEntityManager.getEM(IBSSEntityManager.java:156)
at com.ibi.ibss.dbdriver.IBSSEntityManager.checkConnection(IBSSEntityManager.java:868)
at com.ibi.ibfs.util.IBFSEntityUtils.testAndReconnectDB(IBFSEntityUtils.java:204)
... 8 more
Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: Exception [EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.6.3.v20160428-59c81c5): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user 'ReportCaster'. ClientConnectionId:09614e20-2646-4251-9f4b-7b08cb326bbd
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:815)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.getAbstractSession(EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.java:205)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.java:305)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:337)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:303)
at com.ibi.dbmigration.application.ems.BaseEntityManager.initialize_int(BaseEntityManager.java:157)
at com.ibi.dbmigration.persist.SourceVersionEntityManager.get(SourceVersionEntityManager.java:103)
at com.ibi.dbmigration.migrator.DBVersionChecker.(DBVersionChecker.java:64)
at com.ibi.dbmigration.migrator.DBVersionChecker.(DBVersionChecker.java:75)
at com.ibi.ibfs.util.IBFSEntityUtils.checkDbVersions(IBFSEntityUtils.java:155)
at com.ibi.ibfs.util.IBFSEntityUtils.getEMFactoryWithExceptions(IBFSEntityUtils.java:106)
... 13 more
Caused by: Exception [EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.6.3.v20160428-59c81c5): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user 'ReportCaster'. ClientConnectionId:09614e20-2646-4251-9f4b-7b08cb326bbd
at org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException.sqlException(DatabaseException.java:331)
at org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException.sqlException(DatabaseException.java:326)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.DefaultConnector.connect(DefaultConnector.java:138)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.DatasourceLogin.connectToDatasource(DatasourceLogin.java:162)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.DatabaseSessionImpl.setOrDetectDatasource(DatabaseSessionImpl.java:207)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.DatabaseSessionImpl.loginAndDetectDatasource(DatabaseSessionImpl.java:760)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryProvider.login(EntityManagerFactoryProvider.java:265)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:731)
... 23 more
Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user 'ReportCaster'. ClientConnectionId:09614e20-2646-4251-9f4b-7b08cb326bbd
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:217)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSTokenHandler.onEOF(tdsparser.java:251)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSParser.parse(tdsparser.java:81)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.sendLogon(SQLServerConnection.java:3080)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.logon(SQLServerConnection.java:2361)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.access$100(SQLServerConnection.java:44)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection$LogonCommand.doExecute(SQLServerConnection.java:2347)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:6276)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1794)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1405)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:1069)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectInternal(SQLServerConnection.java:905)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:452)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:1014)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:208)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.DefaultConnector.connect(DefaultConnector.java:98)
... 28 more
S11_Get_OwnerList FAIL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gsbrown,

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

posted Hide Post
Also, just as a test I modified the "webfocus.cfg" changing the 'ReportCaster' login to 'ReportCasterTest' expecting the error to change to "login failed for ReportCasterTest", but it still returned "login failed for ReportCaster"

I'm stumped as to where in the /ibi/WebFOCUS82 folder it's pulling the ReportCaster credentials

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

posted Hide Post
Here are the instructions I'm attempting to follow and get working. We have it currently working with WebFocus 8.1, but can't get it working with WebFocus 8.2 Version 2
https://webfocusinfocenter.inf.../pdfs2/rcapi8202.pdf

quote:
Running the Legacy Java API on a Machine Without a WebFOCUS Installation
Note: This process requires that you have access to a WebFOCUS installation.
You can run the Legacy Java API on a machine where WebFOCUS is not installed. In order to
do this, you must copy configuration files from a machine where WebFOCUS is installed, and
then make changes as defined in the procedure below. You can perform this process using a
Windows installation.
In WebFOCUS 8, the ReportCaster Legacy Java API calls the IBFS security system to
authenticate and authorize users, and to secure resources accessed during schedule creation
and execution. Therefore, any files needed by the IBFS security system must be available to an
application calling the ReportCaster Legacy Java API. The sample scripts provided in the ibi
\WebFOCUS82\ReportCaster\samples\tools directory are set up so that the sample API
programs can be:
Compiled from this directory by modifying the SamplesComp script.
2. ReportCaster Java API Samples
ReportCaster Legacy API Developer's Reference 33
Run from this directory by modifying the setenv script.
Note: The Legacy Java API is functionally stabilized and is intended for migrated applications.
Restful Web Services is recommended for new development.
To configure a machine to run the Legacy Java API without WebFOCUS installed:
1. Create an ibi\WebFOCUS82 folder in the new location.
2. Copy the following folders from the WebFOCUS installation and paste them into the new
ibi\WebFOCUS82\config
ibi\WebFOCUS82\utilities\bin
ibi\WebFOCUS82\utilities\setenv
ibi\WebFOCUS82\utilities\logger
ibi\WebFOCUS82\ReportCaster
3. Edit the ibi\WebFOCUS82\config\webconfig.xml in the new location and globally change
the path to ibi\WebFOCUS82 to match the new location.
4. Edit the ibi\WebFOCUS82\utilities\setenv\utilprodvars.bat in the new location and do the
following:
a. Change WFROOT to the new location.
b. Change WEBinf to %WFROOT%\ReportCaster
5. Edit the ibi\WebFOCUS82\utilities\setenv\utiluservars.bat in the new location and set the
path to Java and to the JDBC driver.
6. Compile and run the sample Legacy Java API programs as described in this manual.

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

posted Hide Post
Alright, getting closer. Discovered the reason for 'ReportCaster' login failure. Even though I was running everything from the /ibi/WebFOCUS82 directory it was still trying to use the config file from /ibi/WebFOCUS81 directory
quote:
"Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/config/install.cfg (No such file or directory)
".

This was set by a bashrc setting for 'root' forcing IBI_DOCUMENT_ROOT="/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS81". I've updated that to WebFOCUS82 and even deleted the entire WebFOCUS81 folder to ensure no more conflicts and I believe it's connecting now.

quote:
infosphere02v:~ # CLASSPATH=/opt/sqljdbc_4.1/enu/jre7/sqljdbc41.jar:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/lib/reportcaster.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/samples/Tools/CompiledCode /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin/java S21_Run "DWPVIEW" "IT DataStage Job Status"

******* S21_Run *****************
No bundle found
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
1212: Item does not exist IBFS:/WFC/Repository/ReportCaster/~DWPVIEW/IT_DataStage_Job_Status.sch , error code: 1212
at ibi.broker.api.cci.interactive.schedule.SelectScheduleId.processRequest(SelectScheduleId.java:139)
at ibi.broker.api.cci.interactive.AbstractInteractive.execute(AbstractInteractive.java:225)
at ibi.broker.api.cci.interactive.schedule.ScheduleManagerImpl.getScheduleId(ScheduleManagerImpl.java:255)
at S21_Run.(S21_Run.java:39)
at S21_Run.main(S21_Run.java:65)
S21_Run FAIL

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux

posted Hide Post
Wahoo! It's working. WebFOCUS82 doesn't work with the same report descriptions we have setup in WebFOCUS81. We'll adjust for that!
Please mark this "SOLVED", thank you!

quote:

infosphere02v:~ # CLASSPATH=/opt/sqljdbc_4.1/enu/jre7/sqljdbc41.jar:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/lib/reportcaster.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin:/opt/ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/samples/Tools/CompiledCode /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181/bin/java S21_Run dwpview ITDataStageJobStatusm580844522

******* S21_Run *****************
No bundle found
processId = J335d2c4fjb262j4e9bja27ej5218b57b0a2d
S21_Run OK

WebFOCUS 8.1, Linux