Focal Point
Oracle Materialized View

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2781022281

August 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
Wayne Atchley
Oracle Materialized View
Can we create a MAS file from a materialized view? When I use the tool to create mas files (or synonyms) it shows all of my tables except the table that stores the Materialized view. When I ask it to show me tables and views, I still get nothing.

Any ideas?

WA
August 25, 2006, 05:22 AM
venu
Can't help directly on your question (After we migrated to 713 we are not able to create synonyms using the tool).
However accessing materialized views is definitely possible. We create the master files manually and access materialized views from WF.
August 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
Wayne Atchley
Thanks! Manual creation it is then...
October 23, 2006, 01:56 PM
hammo1j
Might be an Oracle security thing that it's not putting the MV into all_tables. Try upping your privs to

SELECT ALL TABLES
select any dictionary

(if your dba lets you).

Have always wondered if there is a focexec on the server that corresponds to CREATE SYNONYM that can be modded to incorporate MV's.

Anyone know?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
October 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
Francis Mariani
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/22702549.html suggests you can do it manually until the issue is fixed im 7.6:

CREATE SYNONYM FOR DBMS SQLORA
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
February 15, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joan Williamson-Kelly
I had problems with an Oracle materialized view (Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0) where I got the error "(FOC1567) CREATE SYNONYM: DATASOURCE 'DATA_MV' IS NOT UNIQUE."

I worked with the DBA (this is a development environment) and looked at all of the possible reasons I could find - problems in comments, duplicate columns, etc., etc.

What finally worked was this:

The DBA made an Oracle VIEW of the Oracle MATERIALIZED VIEW. The WebFOCUS Metadata "Create Synonym" functionality finally worked on this.

So if you have access to the Oracle DBA, try having them make a View of the Materialized View.
February 23, 2007, 12:24 PM
Jason K.
if you're using the 'create synonym' gui tool, you have to make sure the appropriate checkboxes are selected. it gives you an option for tables and views by default. a mat view isn't either of these.

We create synonyms all the time using the Mat Views.... but here's a little tidbit for you...the Oracle optimizer 9i or greater can use a Mat view implicitly if you query the underlying table...this helps if you have to aggregate a tremendous amount of data or have indexes with low selectivity (cardinality i think yall call it).

We use an IBM iseries and Materialized Query Tables (MQT) have been a blessing for our datawarehouse.

Also, your materialized view logs will speed up refresh time quite a bit too...definitely look into that if you're not already...my 2 cents.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.
March 30, 2010, 09:44 PM
Danny
Hi Jackson,
We use star schema and creat fact tables from JDEdwards. The dasboards performance is not impresive to the top management (6-7 fex).

I was reading about Materialized views and have the fillowing questions:-
- Can I create it based on the fact table or it should be joined with demensions?
-we update nightly so I like to truncate and then load the data to these view after finishing the fact tables in the data migrator, is this possible?
Please let me know.

7.6.4, OS/400 AS/400