Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] GIF dimensions when distributed by caster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] GIF dimensions when distributed by caster
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi Everyone

I have a gif that I am sending through caster. In the fex I use the following to change the size of the resultant image...

ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 640
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 1040
ON GRAPH PCHOLD FORMAT GIF

the problem is that the size settings seem to be ignored from caster. I can't seem to change the dimensions of the gif; no matter what i try, it is always 760x400 pixels.

Is there a way to change the dimensions of a gif that is sent via caster? I must send it as a stand alone gif, not embedded in pdf or anything like that...

thanks

Jodye

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

FYI, it seems that Jodye already has a case opened for this issue, so we will wait to hear solution/updates from the case.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Kerry

I just got a solution that works. But requires multiple tasks..

1) save the GIF somewhere (via filedef) with ..
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 400
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 700
ON GRAPH HOLD AS XXX FORMAT GIF

2) distribute the graph that was saved in step 1.

These gifs are different dimensions depending on the values of vaxis and haxis.

So this is solved. :-)

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
AS a corollary,
when you send a report via Outlook that is embedded in the body of the email and contains GRAPHTYPE gifs, you can see only empty space; outlook , not being a browser, can't evaluate the HEIGHT and WIDTH parameters of an IMG tag.
so i have to send my 'visualized' reports as an attachment, which i hate.
or have a link in the body of the email that says 'click to see the images', which reruns the report...with all the issues that entails.

Jodye, emailable gif be saved just in the agent?
and then castered?

...update: i just upgraded to Outlook 2007 and it DOES very nicely render the 1px-by-1px GRAPHTYPE images (that's 'visualize' to all you gui users) in your report when its included as the body of the email, no longer needing to be an attachment to get your browser to open. Yippee.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah

I am not sure what you mean by just saved in the agent. You mean without holding it somewhere specific?

I am holding the gifs in a specific directory in task 1. And then in task 2 I am sending the gifs. I did not know until yesterday that we could have a task in caster that simply sends a file. If you look in bottask, the TASKTYPE is "FILE" and the TASKOBJ is the full path to the file.

So in my case I have a job with 5 tasks. The first one creates four gifs. And then tasks 2-5 each send one file. the result is that the user receives an email with 4 gif attachments.

My problem now is that I want the gifs to have the date in the name of the file. This is always an issue for us... so I will write a script to run nightly and update BOTTASK.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jodye,

Wouldn't a FILEDEF work to get the date in the name of the file?

-SET &FNAME = 'demo/' | &YYMD | '_graph.gif';

FILEDEF GRAPH1 DISK &FNAME
-RUN

GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY

HEADING CENTER
"World Sales"
" "

ON GRAPH SET STYLE *

TYPE=REPORT, FONT=ARIAL, SIZE=9, $
TYPE=HEADING, STYLE=BOLD, COLOR=GREEN, $
ENDSTYLE

ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH PIE
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB ON
ON GRAPH SET 3D ON
ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
ON GRAPH SET GRID ON
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 640
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 1040

ON TABLE HOLD AS GRAPH1 FORMAT GIF
END
-RUN

"demo" is an app folder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yes exactly, Jodye.
the agent dir itself is the 'somewhere specific' that one would need ...you can grab the address using the TEMPPATH function
like this

-SET &temppath = TEMPPATH(60,'A60');
-SET &temppath = SUBSTR(60, &temppath, 6, 60, 55, 'A55');
-SET &AL       = ARGLEN(60,&temppath,'I2')  ;
-SET &LAL      ='A'|&AL;
-SET &temppath = '/cube' | SUBSTR(60,&temppath,1,&AL,&AL,'&LAL');
-WRITE MYAGENT &temppath

that's how i do it anyway,
so you don't have to filedef it to a spot outside the agent, just grab it from within the agent, and zap it off to someone.
That's what i meant.
Can you do that??

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Francis: Yes I am specifying the file name in the fex dynamically. the problem is that the task in caster (bottask table) has the name of the file in it. So that needs to be changed as well... see what I mean? It is not a huge deal... we have the same issue with excel files that are sent with caster to FTP. We always want the name of the file to be something like myfile_20090312.xls. We have a script that runs at night to update bottask with the current date.

This is a frequent issue on these boards. IBI should really add that as an option in report caster. "append YYYYMMDD date to file name" or something along those lines.

susannah: I see what you mean. I have not tried that. In any case the current method I am using works well...

Weren't you guys surprised to learn that
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 640
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 1040

has no effect on report caster gifs unless you issue HOLD and then send the file, like I am doing..?

Thanks!

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Expert
posted Hide Post
yeah!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
This problem has been fixed in release 7.6.9.

WebFOCUS All Releases

Posts: 45 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 21, 2007Report This Post