Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Combine Fields for List Box

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Combine Fields for List Box
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Currently, I have a POPULATION list box in my fex so users can choose multiple constituent types. For example:
ALL ALUMNI
ALL DONORS
ALL UNDERGRADUATES
ALL GRADUATES

Now, I want to add majors in my report. In my FEX, I want to combine the following fields into one:

DEGREE.UNDERGRAD_MAJOR_CODE
DEGREE.UNDERGRAD_MAJOR_DESCRIPTION
DEGREE.GRAD_MAJOR_CODE
DEGREE.GRAD_MAJOR_DESCRIPTION

So it will look like this in ONE LIST BOX:
MAJOR_DESCRIPTION (MAJOR_CODE)

So it will list all majors and codes REGARDLESS of if it is UNDERGRAD or GRAD. This way, if someone chooses "Undergrad" and specific majors, it will pull all undergrads with that major. OR if they choose "Alumni" and majors - it will list all alumni with those majors regardless of being a grad or undergrad. The reason why I want to include (MAJOR_CODE) is because some of our majors have OLD codes from an older database that we no longer use, however, alumni still have those codes in the DB and some users want to see the specific codes.

I hope this is clear. Is there a way to combine these fields into one list box? I'm trying to avoid TWO major boxes if a user wants to select both GRAD & UNDERGRAD with 20 different majors selected in each box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Windows 7
Excel/HTML/AHTML/PDF

Posts: 34 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: July 25, 2011Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Consider creating a DEFINE field in your master file that concatenates the two fields together. When you build your dropper select from that field and you should have all the combinations available in your table.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I understand that I can concatenate the major description with the major code fields... but how do I merge DEGREE.UNDERGRAD_MAJOR_DESCRIPTION with DEGREE.GRAD_MAJOR_DESCRIPTION so that there is only one MAJOR_DESCRIPTION?

Windows 7
Excel/HTML/AHTML/PDF

Posts: 34 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: July 25, 2011Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Create 2 individual hold files for undergrad_major_description and grad_major_description and merge those hold files using FILEDEF. From that you can create a permanent hold file and use that permanent hold file to populate the values into the list box.

You can create a schedule and update that permanent hold file (master file) on a timely basis.

WebFOCUS - ver8201
[ReportingServers: Windows 64bit;
Client: tomcat and IIS on windows 2012
AppStudio

Posts: 104 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: November 08, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I will try this. Thank you!

Windows 7
Excel/HTML/AHTML/PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can create two temporary files and use the MORE command to concatenate them.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Francis.

I haven't created the HOLD yet, so I'll definitely add the MORE on my list to concatenate. Smiler

Windows 7
Excel/HTML/AHTML/PDF