Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]How to upload an excel (xlsx) file and use it as data

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]How to upload an excel (xlsx) file and use it as data
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I wonder if you ever upload an excel file to management console to use it as data. After I uploaded my excel file, it cant convert to synonym, so it cant allow me to use it as master file. What is a correct procedure to do it? thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
I am not sure about Version 8 but in Version 7.6.11 the file has to be .xls.

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. My version is 8105.

Please help. thank you

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In your list of Adapters do you have Excel (via direct retrieval) or via ODBC?

When you upload, the user interface should walk you through the upload as well as the creation of metadata so you can then create reports off of the excel file.

Do you get any errors when you upload?

Try right click on an app folder, New -> Upload File, select the excel file and pick the name you want, then you get the dialogue for metadata.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
yes I saw Excel (via direct retrieval) in my adapter. Do I have to create a Synonym from there first?

I didn't get any error after uploading. But I can only view it as excel format instead of view it as sample data.

thanks.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So, when you upload you don't get a dialogue to create the metadata for the excel file? In my upload, I get walked through the whole metadata creation process and once I'm done, I can select the master from a list. Are you logged in as admin and if not, does your user id have any restrictions that might limit your ability to do this?

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I was able to create the metadata by using admin ID. unfortunately, the user id doesn't have right to do it but only upload the file. Do you know which rule the user should be given in order to do that?

one more question, every time when you do upload data like excel file, does the web console pops up and you need to set up from there?

thanks.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You'll have to ask your admin to give you Create Metadata privileges.

For more information look up Effective Policy in Administering WebFOCUS doc.

When you upload data, essentially, you'll have to create the metadata for it on the fly. So, yes, you'll get the console and it'll walk you through the process.