Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] dynamic distribution list

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] dynamic distribution list
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,
I'm trying to schedule a report via reportcaster that is sorted by email address. I want to burst the report by e-mail and then use this e-mail in my distribution list (so each person will only receive the part of the report that pertains to them). From reading the RC documentation it looks like I need to create a separate fex with the burst value and destination (fields called VALUE and DEST) and this fex needs to live in one of my application folders (as opposed to a domain). It looks like this is set up correctly, but the message from my RC job says no report to distribute. My report (which is in my domain) runs fine on its own. One question -- what matches up the burst field in my report (the field is called emal_address) with the value field in the dynamic distribution list? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My RC log is as follows:
BTP1010 Starting worker thread
BTP1020 Starting task: email burst
BTP1020 Task type: MR Standard Report
BTP1020 Retrieving MR report: app/revfacst
BTP1020 Connecting to server EDASERVE with execution id ssmith
BTP1020 Executing focexec.
BTP1020 0 HOLDING PDF FILE ON PC DISK ...
BTP1020 Task finished.
BTP1010 Dynamically creating distribution information
BTP1010 No report to distribute.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
Windows 2008

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You need to set up a distibution list with the burst value to go with each e-mail address. When you are setting up there is a Burst Value column and an E-mail address column

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
My distribution list fex looks like this:
TABLE FILE EMPS
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
PRINT
EMAL_ADDRESS AS 'VALUE'
EMAL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

My .fex is sorted on emal_address (so it is both the burst value and the e-mail address). Do I need to name this field 'VALUE' to match the distribution list?

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
Windows 2008

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes if that is the burst Value then put it in.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think you have to use the exact asnames burstvalue and mailadress like

TABLE FILE USERS
PRINT
USERCODE AS 'BURSTVALUE'
EMAILADRESS AS 'MAILADRESS'
WHERE USERGROEP EQ 'MANAGERS'
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT PCHOLD
END

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am all set now. I think I did the setup correctly from the beginning, but my hold file with the burst value and email addresses was not parsing correctly. I changed the hold format and that seemed to do it.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
Windows 2008

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi leo,
I have a question for you. Can you pls help? I need to sort the output by number of lines(limit is set as 100).I need to burst the report every 100 lines. How should I create dynamic file for the reports to be bursted and where should I place my dynamic file? Should I need to include this dynamic file inside my fex procedure?

WebFOCUS 7.7.02(Production)
WebFOCUS 7.7.02(Test region)
Oracle backend (10g)and Windows Frontend.
HTML,PDF,EXL2K,FLEX,AHTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Leos's post is from last April and I doubt he is even still following it since his question was answered. If you have a question of your own, you should start your own thread - not post onto another thread unless it is the same question. Yours is not.

There are NUMEROUS posts regarding what your are trying to do - I have probably responded to three of them in the last two days. The big question is how are you deciding where to distribute each report when the burst is on number of lines? In order to create a dynamic distribution list, the unique burst value (such as CAR or COUNTRY) should be available in some data somewhere. In your case the burst values would be some value computed on a line number. etc. Possible, but not very practical.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post