Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Intermittent issue with Composer "Move Items" Control Button

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Intermittent issue with Composer "Move Items" Control Button
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I have a listBox for which I had WebFocus Composer generate a "Move Items" control.

The result, of course, are two buttons; one button with a down arrow and another with an up arrow.

The down botton has the event onclick='moveSelectedItems("compUid_108", "")'

The up button has the event onclick='moveSelectedItems("compUid_108", "true")'

The buttons work for the most part (although I do have to click them twice sometimes to actually get the event to trigger).
HOWEVER, my up button mysteriously stops working on a fairly regular basis ... I click it and a strange blue vertical bar appears over the arrow image as if it is striked out and the form1Submit button gains the focus. This has me puzzled. It kind of makes me wonder if the moveSelectedItems method (presumably in an included IBI js file) is buggy.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS Developer Studio 7702
Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Tansy,

From our technicals: A listbox does not have up and down arrows unless using the Double Listbox. Please open a case for this issue and we can research it. You may have called functions in the ibirls3.js files which you should not do but will need more info to see what you are doing. To open a case, please contact Customer Support Services at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
With the help of John Kutasz I finally got it to work.

The single listBox does display (on right click)
the option to create a "Move Items" contro. I'm not sure how it got screwed up (it originally worked, but I did move its location on the form a few times, etc.).

John suggested I physically delete the listBox control and then create the "Move Items" control again on the new listBox. He could see that the buttons seemed to be nested at a different level in the DOM than the listBox which was fishy to him. Not wanting to deal with creating and configuring the new control, I first tried just deleting and recreating the "Move Items" control and recreating it. That didn't work, but John's suggestion of a brand new listBox control (as much of a pain as that was due to needing to resetup and fix chaining, etc.) did work perfectly.

Thanks!

Windows, all output

Guru
posted Hide Post
Tansy,

I am the Product Manager for Composer, and you can definitely have move items controls for a single listbox. I don't know who told Kerry otherwise. I am glad you got it working.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi

I provided Kerry the information and I must appoligize for not knowing about the "Move Item" control. I am glad that you were able to find a solution. You cannot stop learning the products in WebFOCUS.

Thanks
Barry

WebFOCUS 8103, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 80 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 13, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Would someone mind explaining how a "Move items" control is used? Page 168 describes what it is (something I've never seen before this thread), but it doesn't really describe what it is used for:

quote:
Select values from the list box and run the report.
4. To reorder the selected values, click the up arrow to move the selected value up in the
list box, or click the down arrow to move the selected value down in the list box.
5. Run the report again to view the results with the selected values.
In the following example, CA is the first value in the By State list box. Select the down
arrow to reorder the location of CA in the list box and rerun the report again.

So, we rearrange options in a list box and rerun the report - what does that do? Does it generate

BY sortfield AS 'coltitle' ROWS value1 [AS 'text1'] 
OVER value2 [AS 'text2']
[... OVER valuen [ AS 'textn']]

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Move Items" control option (right click on a listBox to see it) auto generates an up arrow button and a down arrow button. If, for example you highlight the first item in your list box and press the down arrow the item should move down one level in the list box. The reason I used this is because I am allowing users to choose their own "custom" sort order (BY fields)in my managed report. I am using a multi select listBox... so (this is cool) you can choose multiple items and move them up and down if you want to.

Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
You are
quote:
allowing users to choose their own "custom" sort order

Do you manually code the ROWS and OVER syntax or does the HTML Composer designed page generate the code for you?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There could be other ways to do this (I am pretty new to Managed Reporting), but I found that when you bind a Parameter to a multiselect listBox AND mark the Parameter as "MultiSelect AND" or "MultiSelect OR", composer autogenerates the control with a operation attribute equal to "AND" or "OR". This way the composer completely handled my other listBoxes where I allow users to select their "custom" selection criteria. (e.g. Composer is sending the variable parameter to my FEX with the ORs or ANDs automatically).

For the "BY" statement to be generated in the variable BY Parameter passed to the report FEX, I first manually edited the HTML operation to be "BY" (operation="BY"). Then, in my actual FEX I also needed to append a BY to the beginning of the Parameter since the BY is only generated in between the selected fields, not before the first field.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tansy,

Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tansy,

Actually, you've given us a very good description of the functionality.

It is MY mistake to assume the ROWS OVER syntax was required here. ROWS OVER is to change the order of the data, not the columns.

I've used double-list boxes for BY columns, where you would automatically have Move Items buttons, but I like this single list box Move Items.

Well done.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Tansy,

Multiselect BY is available in the Variable Editor as well and would make your manual edit unnecessary. It is never a good practice to manually edit product generated code since the product may not be able to open the edited file in the UI afterwards.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

posted Hide Post
Great tip!