Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Character handling in webfocus.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Character handling in webfocus.
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,
I have a report in which i am simply printing the values in xls format.

TABLE FILE FI_SS_GOVEX_CTRY_RSK_WT
"Government Details"
PRINT
FUND_NAME AS 'Fund Name'
EFF_DT AS 'Effective Date'
REGION AS 'Region'
FUND_RSK_PCT AS 'Fund Risk %'
IDX_RSK_PCT  AS 'Index Risk %'
REL_RSK_PCT AS 'Relative Risk %'

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K

There is a value in database for column Region as 'Côte DIvoire'. The problem is that this value is getting printed in the report as 'Côte DIvoire'.
Can anyone suggest me the possible reason for this and how it can be handled?

Thanks in advance.

WF 8.1.04,Windows 7,
DataBase: Oracle 11g,Output :Excel,PDF,HTML

Posts: 281 | Location: India | Registered: April 21, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Try to do a Define Field For that Column, like

HLNUM/A13V = EDIT(HP_DESK_NO,'9999999999999');

Put your Lengths as needed. This once resolved |||r kind of issue to me.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Try out some Regional setting configurations or Language(Unicode) settings on the server level. Please discuss with your Admins as well.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This may fix your problem,

TYPE=REPORT, FONT='Arial Unicode MS',$

WF 7.7.02 on Windows 7
Teradata
HTML,PDF,EXCEL,AHTML

Posts: 165 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Hari,

But what IF, the requirement needs another Font in Report ?

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase the great Yogi Berra "This is deja vu all over again" .....

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
meaning ? Smiler

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
Meaning we had the exact same discussion about how to handle 'Cote D'Ivoire' just a few months ago. In other words we have been on this subject before.

However if you are asking about the famous quotation it gets more interesting. Yogi Berra was a baseball team manager who was famous for mangling well-worn phrases and this was one of his best.

Now, most people nowadays don't understand what 'I had a sense of deja vu' actually means. 'Deja vu' is a feeling that you have been somewhere, or seen something, that you actually could NEVER have seen, such as arriving in a new country with the gut feeling that you have been there before and everything seems at first familiar. It's a mental trick the mind sometimes plays.

Most people (including Yogi Berra) cheapen and misuse 'deja vu' to mean that they are seeing something they HAVE seen before. But Yogi took it a step further by saying in effect: 'This is the same thing I saw before all over again'. That just sounds odd and repetitious
like 'It always snows on February 1 at the beginning of the month' until you understand that 'deja vu' actually means you know on an intellectual level you have NOT seen something before, still but have that gut feeling ...

Does this help? Or are you more confused than ever? LOL

Another Berra-ism: 'It ain't over till it's over.'

Check out: http://www.brainyquote.com/quo...rs/y/yogi_berra.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George Patton,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shankar:

There is a value in database for column Region as 'Côte DIvoire'. The problem is that this value is getting printed in the report as 'Côte DIvoire'.
Can anyone suggest me the possible reason for this and how it can be handled?

Thanks in advance.

Try using the CTRAN function. I have pasted some code below that I have used and works for me. Although, my output is a little different then yours where my display is 'C"te Divoire' but the concept is the same.

DEFINE FILE CAR 
VAR/A20='Côte Divoire';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     'CAR.COMP.CAR'
     'CAR.CARREC.MODEL'
	 'VAR'
     COMPUTE NEWVAR/A20 = CTRAN(20, VAR, 147, 244, NEWVAR);
BY 'CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

In the CTRAN function, 147 is the ASCII value for ". Because you get the à character you should change 147 to 195 and try that. An example below.

COMPUTE NEWVAR/A20 = CTRAN(20, VAR, 195, 244, NEWVAR);

Hope this helps.

Dave

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows Web Server 2008
MS SQL Server 2000
Excel,CSV,PDF,HTML

Posts: 71 | Location: Kingston, ON | Registered: May 03, 2011Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
George Patton