Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Tomcat Java Memory Settings

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Tomcat Java Memory Settings
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Curious to how others might have their java memory configurations set on their Client/Web tiers.

For example, I have a 8-CPU, Windows 2008R2 Server with 24GB RAM with the following settings:

-XX:PermSize=512M
-XX:MaxPermSize=512M
Initial memory pool: 2146MB
Maximum memory pool: 4295MB
Thread stack size: null

Peak web sessions (via Tomcat Manager) are about 400 (avg = 250) in Production.

I'm thinking about testing this configuration:

-XX:PermSize=1024M
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024M
Initial memory pool: 3220MB
Maximum memory pool: 6441MB
Thread stack size: null

as we are experiencing incidents of not being able to create new sessions (Server's RAM was only at 25% utilization).

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

8.0.02M, Oracle 11.2 (AIX), Windows 2008R2, HTML, PDF, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you using 64bit Java? If not, consider moving to it.

Put a value for thread stack size. I usually do trial and error and start at 128. If I can't get the session to respond, then I double it to 256. 265 is usually way more than you should need, and it is much lower than the default.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, we are currently on 64bit:

C:>java -D64 -version
java version "1.6.0_17"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01, mixed mode)

Thanks for the tip on Thread Stack - will look into that further and test.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I also found this doc:

https://techsupport.informatio...om/sps/81802512.html

which gives 1/8 and 1/4 total memory suggestions for "Initial memory pool" and "Maximum memory pool".

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Settings currently being tested - to monitor the effects of these changes, I am using JConsole.exe in my PC's $JRE_HOME/bin.

Have to first enable JMX Monitoring requiring these changes to JAVA_OPS in Tomcat config by adding these lines:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9999
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false

Stop, clear work cache and restart Tomcat...