Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     is there a way to mass suppress zero with on table?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
is there a way to mass suppress zero with on table?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi There

I have a report with a ton of fields and I need to add an option for the user to suppress zero or not. Sometimes they want to see zeros and sometimes they want to see blanks. It is a runtime choice.

Is there an on table setting for that that I am not aware of? Or do I need to use an amper for every single field one by one.. like

COMPUTE X/I6&sup where &sup is "S" or "". Obviously this will work.. but I am looking for a faster way.

Note that I am talking about actual 0 values. I cannot use on table set nodata. There is data and the actual value is 0.

Also, for reasons that I won't get into, I cannot simply use a different master file depending on the user's choice.

Thanks!

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think you've already come up with the only answer. The format of each fo the fields needs to be treated individually, so there isn't a way to change them all-at-once to a zero-suppress. Your &var on the format for each field is probably the only way to go. Sorry for the bad news, but I do like your idea. Hadn't thought of using the &var for modifying formats based on user preference.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Darin

That is what I was afraid of. It will work, but there are around 750 possible fields that I will need to add that to.

:-(

Thanks.

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You could set &vars to be the actual fieldnames and include a Dialogue Manager loop to create all those COMPUTEs. This would save on code and not have to manually change anything except the &vars. Just an idea..

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You should be able to change the print format in your report without having to compute a new field by stating the format after the field. This will not work on a BY field.
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM DEALER_COST/D12.2S
END

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It can be done....

-DEFAULT &ZERO='N'; 
-SET &Z1=IF &ZERO EQ 'Y' THEN 'S' ELSE '';

DEFINE FILE XXX
FMAT1/A8='D12.2&Z1';
FMAT2/A8='D15.1&Z1';
and some others you need in the report

END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES/FMAT1
SALES/FMAT2
BY COUNTRY
ACROSS MODEL
END

I'm not sure if table has zero values....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank.

That is exactly what I did. But I had to do it for approx 750 differenct fields. I was wondering if there was a one line command I could use to alter every one all at once. Sort of like "on table supress all zeros". I have this in the end...

-SET &XXX=IF (bunch of conditions here) THEN 'MYFIELDNAME/P12&SUP_ZERO.EVAL' ELSE '';

where &SUP_ZERO is 'S' or ''.

Thx.

Jodye

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jodye,

WF 8.0.0.5M

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You have 750 different fields, but the format won't be that much diffences I think.

You can do a find and replace on all your fields that has a format type like "/D".
If you have 10 different types it could be done within 5 min.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jodye,

You could let WF take the strain for you although it could be overkill. Just perform a CHECK FILE with the HOLD option and then parse the fields and formats -
-SET &DUMMY = &SupZero.(<Suppress Zeroes,S>,<Leading Zeroes, >).Zero Choice.;
CHECK FILE CAR HOLD
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT FORMAT
   BY FIELDNAME
   WHERE SEGNO EQ 5
ON TABLE SAVE
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
-READ SAVE &Fieldname.A66 &Format.A8
-REPEAT :Loop WHILE &IORETURN EQ 0;
-SET &Printfield = IF &Format LIKE 'D%' THEN TRUNCATE(&Fieldname)||'/'||TRUNCATE(&Format)||&SupZero
-                ELSE TRUNCATE(&Fieldname)||'/'||&Format;
&Printfield
-READ SAVE &Fieldname.A66 &Format.A8
-:Loop
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  GRID=OFF, SIZE=9, $
ENDSTYLE
END

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You may be able to do it in your stylesheet. This really doesn't suppress the zero, it just keeps it from showing up. The original -SET for &N is the first column that may contain zero. The COLOR should be your background color. It will work with HTML, PDF or EXL2K, but not with EXCEL (97).

-SET &N=1
-REPEAT DATALOOP 750 TIMES
TYPE=DATA,
COLUMN=C&N,
COLOR=WHITE,
WHEN=C&N EQ 0,
$
-SET &N=&N+1;
-DATALOOP
-ENDREPEAT

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Pat,

However, if the report is printed, then the 0s will appear, which might not be desirable. And online, this acts like invisible ink. The user could highlight the white text (click and drag), and the 0s will appear.

Sean

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
This really doesn't suppress the zero, it just keeps it from showing up.

Was this not clear?

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent replies everyone!

Frank: Took more like 6 mins. :-). I was going to do that all along, was just wondering whether there was an on table command.

Tony: Excellent idea. But you are right.. a bit overkill.

Pat: Nice idea.. but I needed the fields to be truly empty. Not just look empty.

In case people are wondering, the rationale behind this request is that some of our users want to see zeros in excel and some do not. The zero, obviously, has a huge effect on averages. Sometimes it is important to factor in the zero and sometimes it should be treated as an empty cell. Thanks again everyone.

WF 8.0.0.5M