Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Adapter/Application folder security

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Adapter/Application folder security
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping I could get some help with.

Current structure:
We have multiple dev teams that develop content for various domains. Each of these teams has the ability to create and modify metadata. In addition, each of these teams has access to different data sources, based on their departments.
So I have user and group profiles setup, each one containing the required adapter connections and application access. This works fine as long as each group develops within their own sectors.

The challenge:
TEAM B needs to have access to data (a specific set) which only TEAM A has the adaptor for. TEAM B cannot be given the adaptor because it would open access to content they are not allowed to view.

The proposed solution:
TEAM A needs to create the metadata for TEAM B, then drop the content into a new application folder which TEAM B will then own (Read Only).

The problem:
It is my understanding that in order for TEAM B to use the master files created by TEAM A, they need access to the adapter used by the master files, otherwise no data is returned.
I can’t give access because the users from TEAM B can then create metadata in a different application folder using that adapter, basically bypassing everything done by TEAM A.

One way I can do this is to create a second adapter and have our DBA create a new user account with a restricted view.
I was curious however if it was possible to enable the use of an adapter at the application level rather than user/group level. This would allow for collaboration among developer teams without the need to create multiple accounts/adapters.

This is also true from cross-domain development.

I hope this makes sense.

I would appreciate any insight on this topic Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Yazster,

WebFOCUS 8.201M
Windows, Linux, All Outputs

Posts: 47 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 15, 2014Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into the security options on the WebFOCUS Server ?

The options are under "Access Control" tab and you can set levels of access to app directories according to users or the groups they belong to.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
My application folder security is setup and I have the necessary access levels assigned to users/groups. This isn't where my issue is. It's one thing to grant access to master files in an application folder, what I'm wondering is can someone have this access without the required adapter access to pull back data.

From what I'm seeing, the adapter needs to be declared in all user/group profiles where it's being used or the master files will produce errors. This of course makes sense, but in doing that, when a user goes to create a new master file, this adapter now shows in the list of sources, I don't want this to be the case.

I want a user to be able to access an adapter if it's already being used in the application, but not be able to create new content with it.

Make sense?

WebFOCUS 8.201M

Posts: 47 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 15, 2014Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

You could try to specify the connect string on a fex level in the site profile or maybe it works also if you specify it in the MFD_PROFILE on the master file level. I think that in this case you will not see the connection in the WFRS console so they will not be able to create new master files.

Yours

Eran

Yours,
Eran
SRL Products

http://www.srl.co.il

Posts: 97 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: November 20, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Eran,

I haven't tried to add it in the MFD_PROFILE, that does sound promising though Smiler

I'll give it a try and post the results.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

WebFOCUS 8.201M

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Placing the connection string in the MFD_PROFILE did the trick! Big Grin

Thanks again Eran,
Joe

WebFOCUS 8.201M