Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Contact at a Higher Ed school running Banner and WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Contact at a Higher Ed school running Banner and WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I am a new WebFOCUS user who is having issues pulling back the correct student record from SGBSTDN? I'm having issues with the SGBSTDN_TERM_CODE_EFF field logic. I was wondering if there was anyone who has addressed this issue already.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WF8
Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about SGBSTDN, but these links might help as this topic has been discussed in the past.

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/1351009692

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/4021051652

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Master
posted Hide Post
Trudy,

Its a horrible design the way Banner does it, but unfortunately you have to work with it.

To get around this issue, I've created views for each table that uses effective term. The view essential will translate the SGBSTDN_TERM_CODE_EFF into effective beginning and end dates based on the next record in the table.

I wasn't here when they first developed the ETL into our data warehouse otherwise I would have had them build it right into it. That is my best suggestion. Build the Effective Start and End Dates into your warehouse. It will be a huge help.

If you are connecting directly to Banner (Which you shouldn't be by the way), then you might be able to leverage some existing views to accomplish what you need. Take a look at whats available from the SATURN user as far as views are concerned.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone using Banner written procedures that can be brought into WebFOCUS as a master table? I know we can do this with oracle views, I have been told that a procedure would be more efficient. When I talk to my Oracle guru's they don't know anyway of doing this.

WF8
Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
Trudy,

Are you refering to stored procedures? You can create a stored procedure in oracle and then create a synonym off of it in WebFOCUS if thats what you really want to do. I'm not sure thats going to make things anymore efficient for you as Banner uses views in these situations. You can look at BANINST1.SGVSTDN if you want an idea of how they create their views. That one is the enrolled student view. You can also try joining on defined fields and use NEXT or LAST, but I wouldn't try using those unless you are 8.1.04 or higher as NEXT/LAST don't translate to LEAD()/LAG() (for Oracle) until 8104. It will make for a very inefficient query if you use those in an earlier version.

If you are looking for the most efficient way to do it, I Would still say its bringing these tables in to a data warehouse and adding Effective Start and End dates (or term) to your SGBSTDN equivalent table.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post