Focal Point
[CLOSED] GEOGRAPHIC_ROLE not being applied?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2947030296

November 22, 2019, 08:37 AM
DWaybright
[CLOSED] GEOGRAPHIC_ROLE not being applied?
We are testing to upgrade to 8.2.06 and trying to create maps using the new Designer, my state abbreviation field isn't being recognized. I have GEOGRAPHIC_ROLE=USSTATE_ABBR in the master file but when I run my map with that field as the location, I see a blank map and "51 Unknown" at the bottom. When I click on that it lists all the state abbreviations. I get that it might not like our abbreviation for Washington, DC, but it should recognize the other 50 since we use the official postal service abbreviations. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Deb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DWaybright,

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (production), 8.2.06 (testing)
AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs
November 22, 2019, 09:37 AM
BabakNYC
Do you have the state associated with a country? Even though USSTATE_ABBR has a geographic role, when I try to map it in InfoAssist, I first right click and select Map As, State/Province which opens a dialogue that has me define what it depends on. In this case, the Geographic Role of State Depends on Geographic Role of Country which can be stored as either another Field or hard coded to say United States.

BTW, to avoid all of these extra clicks, just change the column name to US_STATE_ABBR and add a COUNTRY of United States to the table.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BabakNYC,

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
November 22, 2019, 10:24 AM
DWaybright
@BabakNYC
I tried changing it from USSTATE_ABBR to US_STATE_ABBR and it does have a country associated with it but that didn't help.
In InfoAssist I do get the popup window to choose the geographic role and set the country role, but I don't get that in Designer. None of it works. Frowner

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs
November 22, 2019, 10:33 AM
BabakNYC
I just tried it in 8206.05 and US_STATE_ABBR worked in designer. Does your master have a business view? I have a BV and COUNTRY and STATE are in a geography dim.

Also, what gen of 82xx are you running? You may need to open a case with IB tech support.

November 22, 2019, 11:11 AM
DWaybright
We have 8206.09 installed. We don't use Business Views.
I think you are correct about opening a case.
Thanks.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs
November 22, 2019, 11:23 AM
BabakNYC
I just tested it without a BV and it's not working. I believe a BV Hierarchy would be necessary in the Master file if you want to use Designer for now. Alternatively, you can use InfoAssist which as you mentioned will prompt you for the hierarchical relationship between Country and state.

November 25, 2019, 08:19 AM
DWaybright
BabakNYC,
Thanks for testing that out. It will certainly inform our path moving forward.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs