Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Deleting temporary tables

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Deleting temporary tables
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
In our test environment we haven't installed a Report Caster.

We have a fex like this

-INCLUDE genData.fex
-INCLUDE b.fex
-INCLUDE c.fex
-INCLUDE d.fex

The genData.fex creates the data used in the subsequent fexes.
The subsequent fexes create temporary files using great amout of space. Is there a posibility to delete the temporary tables and free the used space after / in the subsequent fexes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6, 7.7
Windows, All Output formats

Posts: 90 | Location: Stuttgart | Registered: October 20, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In our space hungry fexes, we add OS delete command after the files are finished with.

For you it would be -WINNT del ... or ! del ..., etc.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my bad description. The temporary files are not written to disk and not visible by the windows explorer. I think they are hold by FOCUS because the free amount of space grows after the end of the fex from e.g. 5 GB to 8 GB.

WebFOCUS 7.6, 7.7
Windows, All Output formats

Posts: 90 | Location: Stuttgart | Registered: October 20, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If they are hold files, then they are being written somewhere.

Usually this is in the temp directory, and are cleared out when the report finishes.

Do you have APP HOLD commands ?

This would possibly put the files somwhere permanant.

The files must be visible somewhere. Is this on a server or PC ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There is nothing other then what Waz mentioned to erase temp files while the agent is still running. When the agent finishes its work, it will erase all files from its temp directory, unless otherwise specified by the SET TEMPERASE command.
If you do not specify where to hold files, the agent will hold them in its temp directory, usually in a directory similar to: D:\ibi\srv77\wfs\edatemp\ts000005

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
You can use the line below to find out where your files are being written in edatemp space:
-SET &TEMPPATH = TEMPPATH(255,'A255');
Then, you can delete the files as your program processes and large files are no longer needed. I'm not sure if you can delete the focsort file since it grows during the process and doesn't release space until the program ends.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05M, gen 144, Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit, Tomcat 6.0.33, IIS 7.0, SQL Server, Excel 2013, PDF, HTML, FOCUS files.

Posts: 88 | Location: Seattle | Registered: March 29, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I believe that if you reuse the name, you reuse the space. If you have a file that is only going to be used in one step and is then no longer needed do an ON TABLE HOLD without giving it a name. (You then TABLE FILE HOLD). If you have files that are needed later for a join or a match (rather than the next step) you can use names like HOLD1 and HOLD2. If you do that in all of your processes c.fex will write over the files from b.fex.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
reuse the name

This is a potentially dangerous way to use hold files.

e.g.

First Table file produces records to HOLD
Second Table file produces none to HOLD.

If you then table from the HOLD what will be returned ?

Because there are no records, does the hold file get overwritten ?

This was definitely an issue in older versions of WebFOCUS.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
There is one other thing that can cause space to be used up.

That is the server logs, or even if tracing has been left on.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Master
posted Hide Post
Perhaps my recent thread on a similar (same?) subject will help. http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/7107069606

My issue is that I am running out of temp space in a few jobs and my admins didn't want to increase my disk allocation, so I had to find a way to clean up after myself along the way.

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
This link may help too:
http://techsupport.information...om/sps/51112546.html

WebFOCUS 7.7.05M, gen 144, Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit, Tomcat 6.0.33, IIS 7.0, SQL Server, Excel 2013, PDF, HTML, FOCUS files.

Posts: 88 | Location: Seattle | Registered: March 29, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Also -- there can be a vast difference is record length (hence, overall size) of the hold file, between Holding in readable (Alpha) format vs. internal ("Binary") format. Check it out.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You may also try using APP DELETEF though it may have constraints as to the types of files that can be deleted.

The good thing about it is that it is supported transparently across most platforms where WebFOCUS runs so you won't need to code delete commands particular to your OS. In additions, a few environments may have security constraints where OS commands are restricted so "rm" or "del" would be disallowed; I've never hit that case myself but I think I read it's possible to actually disable them.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.