Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     multiple BYTOC EXL2K

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
multiple BYTOC EXL2K
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Is there anyway to have a report export to Excel, but have two procedures that both have a BYTOC in them and have all the worksheets still show up in Excel. I am able to get this to work if I run a 1 worksheet report with a OPEN and then another procedure that has a BYTOC with a CLOSE and it works, but I would like to have multiple BYTOC's. Is this possible?

Currenly working @ Learning Circle Education Services
Previously worked @ Nationwide Insurance
Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.11

Test: WebFOCUS 7.6.11

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.11

Posts: 125 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: March 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Neuro ,
You got any solution for this problem.
I need to implement the same funtionality in one of my report.

Thanks,
Bala

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you give an example based on the CAR database?

What happens if you just give it a try?

Do you get anything at all?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,
Here is the example

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"Details by CAR"
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON TABLE SET COMPOUND BYTOC
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K OPEN NOBREAK
END

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"Details by Model"
SUM SALES
DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K CLOSE
END

The requirement is
1) Each and every Country details should appear in different tabs of an Excel Work book
2) For a perticular country both "Details by Car" and "Details by Model" should appear on same tab.

posted Hide Post
Frank,
Forgot to add.
When I run the report ..It's giving only the first table request output in different tabs. The second table request output is not appearing on the excel.

Thanks,
Bala

Expert
posted Hide Post
Bala,

You don't indicate in your signature profile what release you are running. You might want to update that.

At any rate, have you considered a multi-verb request to do the report you specified?

Or if you are at least 7.1.x, you can look at PDF Layout Painter and select Excel as the output type.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Bala,

Since I don't what release you are on, I can only answer for the release I am on (5.3.6).

BYTOC can not be used with a compound report or a pivot table report.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Prod : WF 7.1.3 - Unix
Dev : WF 7.6.4

posted Hide Post
I was able to use BYTOC in one part of the Excel spreadsheet, just not in more than one.

Using CAR as an example, assume you want to print out tabs with detail car information for each Country, and then have summary tabs for each Country. If you try to use BYTOC in each request, it doesn't work. It only handles the first request with the BYTOC, and like Bala said, the other request is missing.

However, I was able to drop the BYTOC in the first request in order get a single summary tab (with all countries together) and then the BYTOC detail tabs worked.

It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it might be a sufficient work-around.

Personal: Windows 7.7.02
Clients: Variety

Posts: 16 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
<dksib>
posted
With out knowing what the final output is supposed to be like.

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"Details by Country"
SUM SALES 
BY COUNTRY 
BY CAR
SUM SALES 
DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY 
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K CLOSE
END

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Did you try this with the PDF Painter and Excel as the output format as I suggested above?

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As per Glenda, I think that you will find that BYTOC and COMPOUND are mutually exclusive and cannot be used in the method that you are attempting. As per documentation the only acceptable switches for ON TABLE SET COMPOUND are OPEN, CLOSE and NOBREAK. Following on from that I am surprised that your BYTOC actaully functions at all! there must be a hang-up in the parser somewhere that associates the BYTOC with the FORMAT?

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I deleted the code from the previous post because I realised that it didn't supply what you needed. Try this instead -
APP PREPENDPATH IBISAMP
DEFINE FILE CAR
  BYTOC_COUNTRY1/A30 = COUNTRY || ' - Car';
  BYTOC_COUNTRY2/A30 = COUNTRY || ' - Model';
  BYTOC_MODEL1/A30 = '';
  BYTOC_MODEL2/A30 = MODEL;
END
MATCH FILE CAR
SUM RETAIL_COST
    DEALER_COST
 BY BYTOC_COUNTRY1 AS BYTOC_COUNTRY
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY BYTOC_MODEL1 AS MODEL
RUN
FILE CAR
SUM RETAIL_COST
    DEALER_COST
 BY BYTOC_COUNTRY2 AS BYTOC_COUNTRY
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY BYTOC_MODEL2 AS MODEL
AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD-OR-NEW
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
SUM COMPUTE RCOST/D12.2 = E05 + E07; AS RETAIL_COST
    COMPUTE DCOST/D12.2 = E06 + E08; AS DEALER_COST
 BY BYTOC_COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL AS 'Total for '
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=SUBTOTAL, BACKCOLOR=SILVER, $
ENDSTYLE
END

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a MACGYVER request to me.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just using the CAR example so we could have a shared langugage.

My actual logic is being generated automatically from a database that is maintained by external users so they can specify their own custom invoice formats. Using a GUI wizard similar to the MRE ad-hoc report writer, each customer can say what they want in their spreadsheet invoices (different columns, sort sequences, column order, column titles, subtotals, summary tabs, detail tabs, data load tabs, etc.).

Because of this, I have multiple TABLE requests that do very different types of requests but which try to put everything together into one spreadsheet.

In each TABLE request, I wanted to use:

along with:
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K OPEN (CLOSE on the last request)

I only posted a comment to say that, while WebFOCUS may not officially support BYTOCs in a compound spreadsheet, it appears to work with just one BYTOC if you use it in your last request. It looks like no other parts of the compound spreadsheet will be created after you use the BYTOC. As pointed out earlier, this is undocumented so use at your own risk.

It is possibly running into an issue when building the XHT load instructions for the spreadsheets and decides to terminate the process (occasionally, I saw messages to that effect). I ran into something similar when trying to do formulas on columns that didn't exist in the spreadsheet (there were only in the WebFOCUS DEFINEs). With a compound spreadsheet, we must be seeing the worksheets that ended successfully, but then missing the ones that failed and not necessarily seeing an error message.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DLautzCinci,

Personal: Windows 7.7.02
Clients: Variety

Posts: 16 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
issue with multiple BYTOCs in a compound
As per previous, BYTOC is not a valid COMPOUND switch. Therefore the issue is that you are trying something that is not documented (or supported).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986