Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Large Excel Report shows up blank

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Large Excel Report shows up blank
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a 400,000 record dataset I need dumped to Excel. It's not usually this big a report, but this is one of those occasional times where it is big.

It's a compound EXL2K report, and I'm running it deferred from a custom launch page. Small-size reports run fine, and reports over the 65k Excel 2003 limit run fine as well because I'm running Excel 2010, so it will create records beyond 65k.

But with this report, after it's done running deferred, and I click View, then save rather than opening it directly, it creates a 500MB XLS file, but the report page is completely blank, no headers, not even any default grid lines. The reports in the other worksheets are fine.

I can save as another format (XLSX or XLSB) and the file size goes down to a few KB.

So why is it creating such a huge file if there's no data in it? And how can I get this to run? Are there memory settings I should check?

By the way, I've already asked the users if there's a report that can be created that answers their real questions besides doing a data dump like this; still awaiting an answer on that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J.Hines,

Prod: 8.2.0.4 OS:Windows 10 Output:AHTML, Excel 2007+

The life of a designer is a life of fight against the ugliness.

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Does it run direct, not deferred?

Does this happen on other machines? I ask this because we have experienced similar issues where the opening of an Excel file acts differently on different machines.

Does the user NEED Excel? Or, can they accept CSV (COMM or COMT)?

I have tested this (FORMAT EXL2K) with a million plus records successfully.

Can you open your file in NOTEPAD (JUST to see if there really is data within it)?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The problem might be with Excel. We found that large compound reports do not open in Excel. A, just-as-large, but not compound opens no problem.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It doesn't run direct. IE has been cranking for over 40 minutes and not popped up anything (as I expected).

It does happen on other machines.

The user does need it in Excel since you can't do compound CSV reports. As I mentioned, the other tabs are created fine, with headers and styling and whatnot.

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Like Doug says, a million plus records works successfully. I would try to "dummy" down your report and see what exactly breaks it.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The multi-sheet Excel document is the problem.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis is correct. Once I was finally able to run it by itself (took a bit since it was in MRE), it worked and got all the records.

So the answer is that you can't run really large compound EXL2K reports. What the solution is I don't know, besides pulling that one report out into it's own Excel report.

Crossing my fingers that WF 8 can handle big compound EXL07 reports.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

I opened a case with IBI and have been trying all kinds of things, so far with no success.

I've tried using a template, but that behaves the same as using EXL2K OPEN ... CLOSE.

I tried TYPE=REPORT, ROWOVERFLOW=ON, and it works for the first report, but all other reports in the compound report are ignored.

I tried using a template with EXL07, but apparently that's only enabled in 7.7.04, and we're on 7.7.03, as I get an error saying it was unable to unzip the Excel template.

So, so far no dice on having a compound EXL2K report where at least one report is over the 65,550 record limit, even though, if you have Office 2007/2010, you can run single reports in EXL2K format that exceed the 2003 record limit.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Worked with Barry Solomon this morning, and we did some further testing, and at least arrived at an answer.

With 7.7.03, the best you can do with big compound EXL2K reports is to have the report that might be big be the last report, and use
ON TABLE SET LINES nnnnn
and
TYPE=REPORT, ROWOVERFLOW=ON, $

The downside is this has to be the last report, and there can be only one report in the compound report like this (having automatically-generated sheets), or else any subsequent reports are ignored.

Barry also confirmed for me that compound EXL07 documents work as they should in version 8 and higher, so I'll just have to wait until we upgrade to have the solution I really need, but much thanks to Barry and Herve for the help in testing various options.

posted Hide Post
I got the same problems. We sometimes need to run sales report with more then million records. I only have one time run successfuly in Webfocus. I am not sure there is a solution yet in MRE. What I did for very big report is download the work file used by Webfocus into MS Access through ODBC connection. It will take a bit of time, but it works.

Good luck.