Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Hosting PRODUCTION WebFOCUS on virtual server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Hosting PRODUCTION WebFOCUS on virtual server
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hello,

We are planning on moving WebFOCUS Prod to a virtual server. We will keep the same configuration for hardware and software, except increase in RAM. Do you see any drawback in doing this move? Are any of you guys hosting Production WebFOCUS on a virtual server? If so, did you run into any issues?

Thanks,
Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Posts: 285 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No problems here running 7.1.x on virtual servers (Linux). It has worked out great and backup/maintenance has become a lot easier.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Darin! I can see the advantages for development purposes but still reluctalnt for Production. Moving Prod to virtual, has that affected in any way to the performance?

Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not at all. We actually were having several problem with our previous server and when we moved to the virtual server all those problems went away so it has been better than before. You may not see any better performance like we did, but I'm pretty sure it will be no worse.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We will be moving WebFOCUS 713 to a Windows 2003 VM shortly. It has gone very smoothly so far. However, I cannot speak to the stability or performance since it is not in production yet.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Please clearify ,if you are talking about Virtual Web Server or Virtual OS Servers (VMWare, MS Virtual Server). I know that IBI does support Virtual Web Servers. I also believe that they do not recommend Virtual OS Servers (like vmware, or MS Virtual Server) for production applications.

Scott

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I installed several instance of WF on remote vitual servers for a client without a problem.

WF 7703M, XP/Win7, MRE, RC, BID, PMF, HTML, PDF, Excel 2000/7/10

Posts: 73 | Location: NY | Registered: February 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We are moving to VMware (Virtual OS Servers). I realize IB does not recommend this but this is where our organization is headed.

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Be aware that if you have any problems IBI my require you to reproduce it in a NON-Virtual OS Server Environment, that is with out VMWare/MS Virtual Server.

Scott

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is true.

Hopefully IB will get on board with other software vendors and begin to officially support WebFOCUS on VMware.

Thanks!

Mickey

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest on VMware support (updated June, 2008)

http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/wbf/wbf_tmo_vmware.html

Thanks!

Mickey

Guru
posted Hide Post
We are planning to go with VMWare Enterprise.

Sayed