Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Copying Focus Data

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Copying Focus Data
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have a Focus file from which i need to copy the entire data into a new Focus file. Please suggest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

FOCUS 7.1.1/ MF(OS/390)

Posts: 40 | Location: Chennai, India | Registered: January 31, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rebuild? Look it up int he manual.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Manash,

Try reading about FOCUS files in the manual and you will learn all you need to know to enable you to do this. In particular check out USE and REBUILD. If you have problems then ensure that your bosses give you the necessary training to allow you to do the job which is asked of you.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Tony I don’t think that many people from the Indian sub continent understand Hebrew.

To paraphrase John Arbuthnot from 1692
quote:
“The Reader may here observe the Force of WebFocus, which can be successfully applied, even to those things, which one would imagine are subject to no Rules.
There are very few things which we know, which are not capable of being reduced to WebFocus Reasoning; and when they cannot it's a sign our knowledge of them is very small and confused.”

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

The item within my signature was not specifically destined for them. After the recent problems in assisting the chap from Spain, I thought that I would occasionally add a quote in a different language to see who's reading the posts fully. So full marks to you for identifying Hebrew as the language!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Tony, understand that.

What might be a good idea would be an extension to the keyword tags
for example [español] indicating a need for help in other than english.

quote:
“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look
WebFocus in the face. You are able to say to yourself,
'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.”
Eleanor Roosevelt

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea at all, however, being (primarily?) an English 'speaking' forum I would guess that IB would want to encourage interaction using English? Who knows?

I did think about posting the English version followed by a translation for those that need it? If our English is grammatically correct etc. then it might help non-English speaking individuals in their understanding of our language?

T

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
manash,

TABLE FILE whatever
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS newname FORMAT FOCUS
END

You might need to assign key fields, and assign an APP directory to receive the focus and master files, but that is the basic, simple, way.

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Manash,

You can directly use 3.3 for copying focus files on mainframes, alternately you can copy using COPY option in DATA SET LIST ACTIONS.

FOCUS 7.2.3
Platform: IBM system Z9 Business class
O/P formats: Flat files, excel and CSV files

Posts: 39 | Location: Hyderabad, India | Registered: April 28, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Providing your ISPF hasn't been changed from what is "standard" and making sure the lrecl, recfm and blksize values are correct.

I have seen occasions when this method corrupts the data in copying and the most reliable method is to use rebuild IMHO.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ayers:
manash,

TABLE FILE whatever
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS newname FORMAT FOCUS
END

You might need to assign key fields, and assign an APP directory to receive the focus and master files, but that is the basic, simple, way.

Dave,

It is a simple way ut it only works for simple FOCUS files.

Try

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS CARHOLD FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN
CHECK FILE CAR PICT
CHECK FILE CARHOLD PICT

and compare CARHOLD.MAS against CAR.MAS.

PRINT * only takes one path of a multipath file - you should see a warning about it

(FOC757) WARNING. YOU REQUESTED PRINT * OR COUNT * FOR A MULTIPATH FILE

If you have a single segment then all is good, otherwise you lose the structure of the original FOCUS file

Cheers

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Copying Focus files is done via the REBUILD command. The first phase is a REBULD DUMP and the second phase is a REBUILD LOAD. This is documented under the "REBUILD Command".

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

I think you mean REBUILD, REORG, DUMP and REBUILD, REORG, LOAD unless you've had the REBUILD command changed Confused

T