Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] self service vs adhoc

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] self service vs adhoc
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hai all..

I am new to WF.

I developed reports that run from UI with textbboxes, checkboxes, other selection criteria and submit button etc. I guess these are self service applications.

I got a requirement saying..the report needs to run on adhoc basis. I am a bit confused about this.
When I asked about this, the explanation is similar to the ones I mentioned on the top.

What exactly are adhoc reports?
Can someone please let me know of the difference in detail (selfservice vs adhoc).

Hope my question is not silly.

Thanks all..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

HTML,PDF,EXL2K, Active, All

Posts: 484 | Registered: February 03, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Adhoc basically means as needed. There really isn't much difference between the two. Sometimes people talk of "adhoc reporting" meaning that they want a toolset/application to be able to generate their own reports. However, you can build parameterized reports (using UI as you describe) that very nearly approximates "creating your own report."

Basically it's a matter of how much "control" you need to give the users. Usually more control requires a little more complex interface and usually more training. Hope this helps a little. In a nutshell, I would consider them both the same thing.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try this link Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony,

This link made my day! Thanks for sharing!

Francis.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

You're welcome. I couldn't resist it although I do feel a little bad for posting it Roll Eyes honest!

Enigma,

Please don't take it the wrong way, it's raining here and I just wanted to lighten the day in the world (it got as far as Canada!!).

So for penance I will add a little to Darin's reply.

There is no difference basically, it's generally used to describe reports that can be run by the end user as and when required.

I suppose you could say that it's one of those "throw away" phrases that we hear all too often to explain an otherwise simple idea etc. that only serve an attempt to display knowledge Confused

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Too Cool Tony! Smiler

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony, it was the mechanics of the link that impressed me.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I'm impressed, but I think you have too much spare time.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Not guilty Pat, one of our APs pointed it out many months ago, and it's sat in my "store" for just such a time as this Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986