Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Developer Studio/WebFOCUS from Parallels Desktop 7 on Mac

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Developer Studio/WebFOCUS from Parallels Desktop 7 on Mac
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I'm testing development of WebFOCUS reports using a Macbook Pro running Parallels version 7 to run Windows XP in a virtual machine. The Macbook Pro has an Intel chip that makes it possible to run Windows programs seamlessly, using Parallels in Coherence mode. Very nice.

So far I haven't seen any issues except for an intermittent cross-scripting error in Windows Internet Explorer when running code to create graphs.

Is anyone else running this setup with Developer Studio? If so, have you seen anything that would prevent using IB software on anything other than a true Intel-based PC. Any deal-breakers?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Norb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
FYI - Resolved the "cross-site scripting" issue with the instructions from a document on IB Info Response support site. Cool

http://techsupport.information...om/sps/51712002.html

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Interesting ... this may come in handy. Thanks for sharing.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Master
posted Hide Post
virtualize IE too, there's tons of gripes about Dev Studios reliance on *real* IE. Not sure what the current release is on OSX, but I thought MS stopped supporting it on that platform.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Norb, I'll have to discuss this with you - I develop using my Mac Book Pro, but I bott into Windows 7. I haven't had any luck with Parallels - two issues: I get an annoying message from Windows about registration or something (even though I have a legit version on the Mac) and it doesn't recognize a second Windows drive I created with Bootcamp. Also their time-released support sucks.

Will get in touch!

Francis.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi ABT,

IE is virtualized by the fact that it runs from within the Windows XP VM and not in the Mac OS. The sweet part is that looks just like another Mac window so you can move it anywhere you want. Nice when you are working with multiple monitors.

Norb

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Regrettably, I am not running Windows 7 in Parallels on my MacBook Pro so I can't add much to what ails you. I am running the latest version (7.x) of Parallels desktop for Mac so if you are running some older version you might want to upgrade.

I'm sure you have researched the knowledge base on the Parallels site but I did locate an article on installing Windows 7 here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729

Perhaps there is a nugget of helpful information there.

See ya,

Norb

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Norb

In the UK there is a small but growing group of developers using a variety of different Mac books (Air, book and Pro). We tend to stick with Fusion as the VM of choice. In 5 years using Fusion I have never had any problems at all, and this is using Fusion for full development and using direct and indirect VPN access for support.

We have used NT, XP, 2003 Server, 2008 Server and Windows 7.

The big advantage of Fusion over Parallels for us is that the VM can be moved from Mac to PC (and vice versa) and back again if required, with no loss or degradation.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. It's interesting to hear that others are running Macs for WebFOCUS/Focus development. There isn't much chatter about that here in the forum.

Anyway we have VMware running in the data center here hosting a number of servers so I'm not sure why I chose Parallels to futz with but I'm satisfied thus far for development and VPN remote network access. I had used Sun's VirtualBox as well and it was fine (free) but not nearly as slick or seamless as Parallels is. Then when Oracle got their dirty paws on it I said "I'm outta here!".

We are strictly Windoze on the desktop so I can see that the ability to move the VM from Mac to PC and back again could be advantageous but then I have to ask why would you? Once you go mac you never go back! Right??!! Cool

Here is an interesting recent comparison of Parallels and VMware Fusion done by Ars Technica that you may be interested in. Their articles typically have depth to them and make for a good read. The comments are good too.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/r...usion-4-reviewed.ars

Have a great day,

Norb

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are strictly Windoze on the desktop so I can see that the ability to move the VM from Mac to PC and back again could be advantageous but then I have to ask why would you? Once you go mac you never go back! Right??!!

Absolutely. I do have to share development VMs with the unenlightened though.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely. I do have to share development VMs with the unenlightened though.

Pity. Wink

Expert
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Do you recommend not bothering to pay for the new Parallels upgrade and get Fusion instead. Will recognize the second windows partition I created on my Mac?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

I know this is a very old thread but are you still having issues with the Win7 and Parallels?

I finally have gone to Win7 and am running to VMs on my MacBook Pro. One for XP and the other for Win7. They are working well. I did get a message about having to register Windows but I assumed that was the standard MS anti-piracy stuff. I registered and it was smooth sailing thereafter.

I'm not sure that I understand the issue about the 2nd windows drive created with Bootcamp. I also don't see how that is relevant. Bootcamp is an entirely different setup and partition and when you are in Bootcamp you cannot see anything on the Mac partition.

I am running Parallels 8 and from within Windows 7 I can see an external USB hard drive that has both a Window and Mac formatted partions. Files can be read from either partion while in Win7.

Anyway - you may be on Fusion or have gotten the whole Parallels thing to work but I came across this thread again and wanted to follow-up with you.

Later,

Norb