Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
BOT Files Corrupted
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All.
The Report Caster for our WEBFOCUS application is down since last few days.
We have registered a case with the Information Builders and they suggested us to check whether the BOTTASK file is Corrupted.
We beleive that the BOT files are present in the path
(Installation Drive):\IBI\SRV52\WFS\CATALOG\BOT***
Could any one of you please suggest how to check if these files are corrupted and if yes how to revert them back

Thanks and Regards,
Punit

Expert
posted Hide Post
Try CHECK FILE BOTTASK

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

Hard Luck...
The command CHECK FILE BOTTASK doesnt seem to work out here,
It gives an ERROR message
CHECK : not found.
Could you suggest some other option.
Also could you please let me know how often the BOTTASK file is updated.
Thanks in advance
Punit Surana

Expert
posted Hide Post
That will teach me to answer without the documentation in front of me. Check out the help files or the tech support site for the REBUILD command (I think) as from your path I gather that you are using a FOCUS repository, so looking up the managemnet of FOCUS files will also be good.

As for the update of BOTTASK, check out the report caster documentation, as far as I can remember, it holds individual tasks from caster jobs and therefore it will be updated when ever you add a new task.

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

Thanks for such a quick reply.
Could it be possible for you to give me some steps by which i could fix this problem as i dont have indepth expertise on WEBFOCUS.
Sorry for the inconvinience caused,

Thanks and REgards,
punit

Expert
posted Hide Post
If the file is corrupted then it might not be possible to recover any of the data within it. If you have back-ups (of course you do .... don't you?) then restore from the latest, issue a USE against the file and then run ? FILE BOTTASK. It you get no errors from that then run a TABLE request against it. If you do get errors then move backwards through your back-ups until you get an non corrupted file (this might also highlight when - and therefore how - it was corrupted).

If you have no back-ups (and you do ... don't you?) then about the only thing you can do is to create the file afresh - however, as all the BOT....FOC tables are inter related then I would suggest you get some assistance from your local support people. One thing you must realise in recreating any of the tables is that you will lose ALL your data ---

but then you do have back-ups ..... don't you?

In FOCUS
since 1986

posted Hide Post
If you've opened a case, shouldn't they be able to tell you how to verify and fix a corrupt BOTwhatever file? There is some documentation on rebuilding the BOT tables under "REPOSITORY TABLE MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES" that I stumbled on while trying to solve a MR_UNKNOWN_ERROR.
You can find it at "http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterindex/html/html_wf_52/wf_rcadmin_52/09_admin4.htm".

For any more information or guidance on this, I would have IBI re-open your case and get you the information you need to solve the problem.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11 on Win2003 Server
WebFOCUS 7.7.03 on Win2003 Server
Published, AdHoc, ReportCaster
Output in all variants of Excel

Posts: 29 | Location: Ravenna, OH | Registered: December 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

While querying the BOT Files, we get an MR_UNKNOWN Error while we query the BOTTASK File. For rest other BOT Files we are getting the Record Counts and "CHECK COMPLETED".
Does this indicate that the BOTTASK File is Corrupted?
We do have a backup of the BOTTASK File for some back dates.
Will replacing the current BOTTASK file with the Older Backup Version and then Restarting back the SERVER Help us to get the REPORT CASTER UP and Running?
Please suggest.
Thanks in Advance
Punit

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is of any help but I also just went through a few days of problems with Report Caster. The Report Caster Service would not start and I was also getting SU ERROR messages on BOTSCHED when trying to log into RC via the console or MRE. This isn't the same error message as you are getting but it was crippling RC. All the BOT*.FOC files were OK.

It turns out that I had added a SET BASEURL command into our EDASPROF.PRF file a few weeks ago but never rebooted RC at that time. The next time the machine was rebooted RC would no longer work. Apparently the SET BASEURL statement in the EDASPROF.PRF file crippled RC or the FOCSU and therefore it would not start. Once I removed this statement from the EDASPROF.PRF file everyhting worked again and all my BOT*.FOC data was fine.

Have you done anything recently to the EDSPROF.PRF file?

This occured with WF7.1.3 in our test environment.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mgrackin ,

Thsnks for the Prompt reply.
But we have not done any such changes at our end.
Also what I presume from your mail is that you didnt face any problems while running a CHECK Utility on BOT Files.
Also we use the 5.2.4 version of WEBFOCUS and do not have enough expertise on the Administration side.
Could you please advise if you fell any other approach can work out.
Thanks again
Punit

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
punitsurana,

I copied the *.FOC files to a directory in the APP PATH of our WebFOCUS Server and then ran a FOCEXEC with the following code. I received no errors so my files were OK.

-*******************************************************************************
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTADDR == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTADDR
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTADDR
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTADDR
Y
-RUN
-*******************************************************************************
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTDEST == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTDEST
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTDEST
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTDEST
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTGRP == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTGRP
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTGRP
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTGRP
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTGUSER == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTGUSER
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTGUSER
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTGUSER
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTLOG == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTLOG
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTLOG
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTLOG
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTLOG2 == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTLOG2
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTLOG2
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTLOG2
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTPACK == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTPACK
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTPACK
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTPACK
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTPARMS == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTPARMS
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTPARMS
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTPARMS
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTSCHED == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTSCHED
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTSCHED
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTSCHED
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTTASK == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTTASK
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTTASK
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTTASK
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTTSKEX == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTTSKEX
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTTSKEX
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTTSKEX
Y
-RUN
-TYPE PROCESSING == BOTUPROF == *************************************************
REBUILD
REORG
DUMP
BOTUPROF
NO
-RUN
CREATE FILE BOTUPROF
-RUN
REBUILD
REORG
LOAD
BOTUPROF
Y
-RUN

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post