Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Strange Results using DATEDIF with missing values

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Strange Results using DATEDIF with missing values
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I am using DATEDIF to get the difference between two sets of dates for customers. Some of the customers don't have both dates so I am checking for that before I use DATEDIF. When a customer does not have both dates I want it to be returned as null (or MISSING) as 0 days has significance.

My code is below, both DATEDIFs are giving me strange values when DATE2 is missing, but correct values when it exists:
TABLE FILE 
PRINT
	REGION_NAME
	COMPUTE DAYS_BETWEEN/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE1 IS-NOT MISSING AND DATE2 IS-NOT MISSING THEN DATEDIF(DATE1, DATE2, 'D') ELSE MISSING;
	COMPUTE DAYS_SINCE_LAST/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE2 IS-NOT MISSING THEN DATEDIF(DATE2,TODAY,'D') ELSE MISSING;
BY SUBJECT_ID 

Thanks,
Cody

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cody,

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Linux
HTML,AHTML,PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Cody,

You DEFINE'd the columns as D20 MISSING ON. You can't have an ALPHA in a NUMERIC:

COMPUTE DAYS_BETWEEN/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE1 IS-NOT MISSING AND DATE2 IS-NOT MISSING THEN DATEDIF(DATE1, DATE2, 'D') ELSE 0;
COMPUTE DAYS_SINCE_LAST/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE2 IS-NOT MISSING THEN DATEDIF(DATE2,TODAY,'D') ELSE 0;

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

I tried changing things up to what you had and I still got strange values. It seems that even though there was no DATE2 for some records a value of some sort was coming over (perhaps as a result of a join that I am using to get the data originally). To fix this I used:

COMPUTE DAYS_BETWEEN/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE1 GT '2000/01/01' AND DATE2 GT '2000/01/01' THEN DATEDIF(DATE1, DATE2, 'D') ELSE 0;
COMPUTE DAYS_SINCE_LAST/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE2 GT '2000/01/01' THEN DATEDIF(DATE2,TODAY,'D') ELSE 0;

2000/01/01 being a date that is well before any of the dates I will have in the results

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Linux
HTML,AHTML,PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Cody,

Try this:

COMPUTE DAYS_BETWEEN/D20 MISSING ON    = IF DATE1 IS MISSING THEN 0 ELSE 
                                         IF DATE2 IS MISSING THEN 0 ELSE 
                                         IF DATE1 GE '2000/01/01' AND 
                                         DATE2 GE '2000/01/01' THEN DATEDIF(DATE1, DATE2, 'D') ELSE 0;
COMPUTE DAYS_SINCE_LAST/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE2 IS MISSING THEN 0 ELSE DATEDIF(DATE2,TODAY,'D');

Your TODAY value also needs to be fomatted correctly...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

I resolved this with:

COMPUTE DAYS_BETWEEN/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE1 GT '2000/01/01' AND DATE2 GT '2000/01/01' THEN DATEDIF(DATE1, DATE2, 'D') ELSE MISSING;
COMPUTE DAYS_SINCE_LAST/D20 MISSING ON = IF DATE2 GT '2000/01/01' THEN DATEDIF(DATE2,TODAY,'D') ELSE MISSING;

I couldn't have 0s when no value was returned because 0 has a different meaning than missing in this particular case.

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Linux
HTML,AHTML,PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Cody,

Excellent! I haven't used the MISSING process so I learned something as well.

Thanks!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Just a note: if using smart dates with MISSING=ON, you can get differences simply by subtracting:

DEFINE FILE CAR                                                        
MYDA/YYMD MISSING ON = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND'  THEN 'JAN 11, 2010' ELSE
                       IF COUNTRY EQ 'FRANCE'  THEN MISSING  ELSE      
                       'JAN 11, 2010' ;                                
MYDB/YYMD MISSING ON = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN MISSING        ELSE
                       IF COUNTRY EQ 'FRANCE'  THEN 'JAN 21, 2010' ELSE
                       'JAN 21, 2010' ;                                
DIFF/I5 MISSING ON NEEDS ALL = MYDB - MYDA ;                           
END                                                                    
TABLE FILE CAR                                                         
PRINT MYDA MYDB DIFF                                                   
BY COUNTRY                                                             
END                                                                    

To get:

COUNTRY     MYDA        MYDB         DIFF  
-------     ----        ----         ----  
ENGLAND     2010/01/11  .               .  
FRANCE      .           2010/01/21      .  
ITALY       2010/01/11  2010/01/21     10  
JAPAN       2010/01/11  2010/01/21     10  
W GERMANY   2010/01/11  2010/01/21     10  

IBI Development