Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] DS HTML Composer: Execute report in new named window

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] DS HTML Composer: Execute report in new named window
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like to configure my parameter screen to execute the report in a new window, but subsequent report requests from the same parameter screen should open in the same report window instead of opening a new window every time. This is easily achievable outside the GUI. Please don't tell me I have to make a new feature request.

Dev Studio > Composer > Hyperlink Properties.

Action: External procedure
Source: link to fex
Target Type: Window
Target/Template Name: New window

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What is it that opens the parameter page in the first place? I''m asking because that is what will control "where it opens".

"configure my parameter screen to execute the report in a new window" is easy enough.

"report requests from the same parameter screen should open in the same report window instead of opening a new window every time" is not. It's either a new window of the same window (excluding iFrames, etc) from the "button".

It may be configuable within IE (or whatever browser you're using ~ Maybe?)

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The parameter page is opened in an Output block of a B.I. Dashboard tab. For testing, I'm running it from MRE.

(You already know this) In non-GUI development, the HTML form tag has a target. Clicking Submit executes the form action to the target. If the target is a window name then if the window is not open, it opens, if the window is already open, the window is reused. I would like this.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

When you right click on the button and select hyper link properties, then you select "new window" under drop down of target/template name.. did you try just typing in a static window name?

Thanks,
Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Posts: 285 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sayed, one cannot type anything, it's a select list with four options:

Same Window
New Window
Parent Window
Topmost Window

I wonder what a "Template Name" is, since you cannot type a name...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Correction! Even though it looks like a select list, clicking within it allows me to type a window name!

This is exactly what I need!

Thanks Sayed.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
LOL Francis...Hmmm.. I guess you're one of those FOCUS Master that hates using the GUI.
GUI has gotten SUPER friendly in the last 5yrs or so.

Thanks,
Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Expert
posted Hide Post
With "SUPER" friends like the GUI, who needs enemies? I guess I'm very, very picky about my friends, because I don't count the GUI tools in DevStudio among them!

Thanks,

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Did you know Many US companies like US BANK expects all WF codes to be GUI compatible... Also, IBI would not allow you to code outside of GUI to many of the newer customers. You better make the GUI part of your friend list very soon Smiler

Thanks,
Sayed

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

GUI has gotten SUPER friendly in the last 5yrs or so

I think everything is relative, especially if we compare it to what it was back in 5.3.4 ...

quote:
I guess I'm very, very picky about my friends

Hmmm, I'll better start improving my ways then Sweating

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njsden:
quote:

GUI has gotten SUPER friendly in the last 5yrs or so

I think everything is relative, especially if we compare it to what it was back in 5.3.4 ...

I guess this only holds true for WF versions after 7.6? I'm on WF 7.6.11 and I wouldn't exactly call the GUI user-friendly.

Seeing Francis' comments in another thread, there's still room for improvement in 7.7 as well. IMHO, the WebFOCUS GUI still has a way to go to become user-friendly.

Anyway, as long as Dev Studio has to run in a user-hostile environment like MS Windows, that will be difficult to achieve any time soon. OTOH it looks like with Windows 8, Microsoft is finally breaking with their old GUI paradigms - perhaps it's all starting to move into a more user-friendly direction! Let's hope they get it right this time.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It is just not user friendly. User friendly should mean that it will take less time developing with the GUI tools than hand-coding, which is not the case. I struggle for hours to do something via the GUI that I know could take minutes hand-coding.

The problems I have with the DevStudio GUI tools makes the oddities of Microsoft products charming quirks.

Here's one not-friendly Composer design problem:

Every element on an HTML page is placed via absolute positioning. Almost every element has Position: Left, Position : Top, Size: Height and Size: Width properties. In the Properties window, why aren't these four properties put in the same place for every element type? Click on different element types and you see these four properties are in different places in the Properties window.

This is one of the minor things I don't like, there are many more.

Don't get me wrong - this is my bread and butter. I'm complaining because I care.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
When I said it has gotten super friendly in the last 5yrs or so, I was comparing dev studio 7.6x or 7.7x to the 5.x and prior releases. You have to admit, things have gotten a whole lot better. I can now get 95% of the codes done in GUI specially for building launchpages. Don't get me wrong, I still code outside of the gui to get things done quicker but not infront of picky new customers Smiler
I think the gui side will always have flaws since the product always adds new futures and IBI does not have enough developers/testers to cover all scenarios.

Thanks,
Sayed

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
IBI does not have enough developers/testers

But they do: us!

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
I wasn't talking about WebFOCUS consultants like us... I was talking about Java/JSP/C/C++/C# etc.. developers that actaly builds the WebFOCUS software and test it before released. It is a lot smaller team than you think.

Thanks,
Sayed