Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Hilarious warning FOC2906

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Hilarious warning FOC2906
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
What is the purpose of this warning?

It makes no sense warning about a desired effect. Worse, without specifying a -DEFAULT, I'd have an undeclared variable if no records match. So in this case there appears to be no way around this warning?

[code]-SET &ECHO = ALL;

-DEFAULT &CAR = 'FIAT';

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
WHERE CAR EQ 'FIAT' OR 'FERRARI' OR 'MASERATI';
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1;
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

-READFILE HOLD

-TYPE Car: &CAR[/car]

Output:[code] -DEFAULT &CAR = 'FIAT';
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
WHERE CAR EQ 'FIAT' OR 'FERRARI' OR 'MASERATI';
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1;
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 1 LINES= 1
(FOC2906) WARNING: &CAR WILL BE OVERWRITTEN BY -READFILE HOLD
-READFILE HOLD
-TYPE Car: MASERATI
Car: MASERATI
[/car]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Wep,

Yup, found it too.
...but it's just a warning, don't worry.

It's just letting you know the value will be overwritten by the -READFILE command without explicitly mentioning the variable name.

e.g. if you'd use 'find' to find why &CAR isn't 'FIAT' anymore... ...you won't find the -READFILE HOLD line in the code...

...I guess that's the reason.

-READ doesn't give you the warning.

TABLE FILE CAR
	BY	CAR
WHERE CAR EQ 'TOYOTA'
ON TABLE HOLD AS X
END

-RUN
-READ X &CAR.A16.
-TYPE &CAR

Groeten,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well, it "looks" like a WARNING and up to 7.7.03M is treated as such by ReportCaster.

We are however currently testing 7.7.05 and have found that when running a scheduled report, if ReportCaster's distribution server detects that pesky FOC2906 "warning" it actually treats it as an error and decides not to distribute any results.

The solution was just to simply add 2906 to the list of FOC errors that the Distribution server will treat as warnings and we were back in business.

Just don't let the "WARNING" prefix in the description of the message mislead you as to think that it is a warning ... not all products are seeing it as such Confused

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the doc that covers how to do this or can anyone explain the steps to add this error number to the Distribution Server so that it is treated as a warning for Report Caster?

Thanks.

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
what if you were to set message=off?

Will RC still crash?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Eric,
I did test SET WARNING=OFF but to no effect.

I can't test SET MESSAGE=OFF, now, (though I may have in my many tests and forgotten).

I 'fixed' this by adding this error number to the Distribution Server (FOC Message Numbers to be Processed as Warnings) and I can't switch it back, easily, without effecting others.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
"MESSAGE" is a synonym for MSG. This will not have any effect on error/warning messages.

"WARNING" is only for ONE error, FOC441:
quote:
The WARNING parameter suppresses (FOC441) warnings. The file exists already. Create will overwrite it.

Then there's "FOC144":
quote:
The FOC144 parameter suppresses warning message FOC144, which reads: "Warning: Testing in Independent sets of Data."

(FOC441 and FOC144 - a funny/sad coincidence)

There's also "ERROROUT", one I've never used:
quote:
The ERROROUT parameter terminates a job and returns a message when an error is encountered in a request. The syntax is: SET ERROROUT = {ON|OFF|OVERRIDE/filename}

We shouldn't have to suppress warning messages and warning messages should not stop execution in ReportCaster and return an error number in &FOCERRNUM. The concept of warnings was poorly implemented since the beginning, hence these clumsy attempts at suppressing them.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
greg, caster console, configuration tab, Distribution Servers (first choice on left).
Entry for 'FOC Message Numbers to be Processed as Warnings'...
default set is 95,96,201,757,837,36359
Add some.
also, while you're there, change MAXMESSAGES from 1000 to something bigger.. if you want. i found that the caster log is too short to give me what i need when it only allows itself 1000 messages. so i upped mine by x10. just sayin...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Perfect susannah!
Thanks!

Greg

PMF 8

Expert
posted Hide Post
I just found this issue also, and its in 8.1.04.

And hears the hilarious part, the section in Report caster console for adding the number in has now gone, you have to add it to webcontent.xml and it still doesn't work.

Raising a case...

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Susannah and Waz for the instructions on where and how on adding things to that list and for letting us know your experience and findings concerning this in 8.1.04 Waz. Let us know how the case goes. Thanks for opening one for this!

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz,

What directory is webcontent.xml in? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
-SET &var=;

used to drop the & variable. See if it does in your release. If so, simply drop the var(s) that -READFILE is about to set (perhaps first testing that &LINES > 0).

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Its in WebFOCUSnn\config

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack, I'm a bit slow.

That may work.

The -SET should "null" the variable and the not have it prompted, and the -READFILE shouldn't generate the warning.

I'll give it a go and let you know.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack,

That worked like a charm.

I also think that with a bit of coding a process could be set up to handle this for records found and not found with the READFILE.

Just a check on &LINES and branch to a -SET for 0 records or a -READFILE for records found.

Funny how it takes a single line of code to make the light bulb turn on.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps move the -DEFAULT further down.

With -READFILE (unlike -READ) the names of the variables do not appear in the code, so a -DEFAULT further down will still be the first explicit reference that the Autoprompt scanner sees, and the code to that point will sail on smooth waters.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Oh! That looks like a clever trick, got to try that sometime. Thanks!

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j.gross:
-SET &var=;

used to drop the & variable. See if it does in your release. If so, simply drop the var(s) that -READFILE is about to set (perhaps first testing that &LINES > 0).

This worked for us when trying to set up 8.1.05. Thanks for the tip!

Release 8.1.05
Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF, AHTML, COMT

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've taken to the method of declaring a -DEFAULTH after the -READFILE. Works a charm, thanks.

posted Hide Post
Hi Susanna,
In Report Caster - configuration tab - Distribution Servers, the possibility to add FOC message Numbers is gone (WebFocus 8.104).
Do you know where/how to add a number to the default set?
Thanks,
Gerard

quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
greg, caster console, configuration tab, Distribution Servers (first choice on left).
Entry for 'FOC Message Numbers to be Processed as Warnings'...
default set is 95,96,201,757,837,36359
Add some.
also, while you're there, change MAXMESSAGES from 1000 to something bigger.. if you want. i found that the caster log is too short to give me what i need when it only allows itself 1000 messages. so i upped mine by x10. just sayin...

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Its now in the webconfig.xml, look for "IBI_FOCUS_Warning_Numbers"

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

posted Hide Post
If your running Linux 8105 there is a know bug, I have logged a call for this on TechSupport:

In ReportCaster 8105, the option to list FOC errors is gone.

The IBI_FOCUS_Warning_Numbers in the WebFOCUS Administration Console does not work.
In 7X ReportCaster, this functionality was available from the Caster Server Configuration as the 'FOC Message Numbers to Be Processed as Warnings' field.

WF 8.1.05, MRE, BI Portal, App Studio, Apache Tomcat/8.0.21, MS Windows Server 2014 Express, MS Windows 10, Chrome

Posts: 11 | Registered: September 18, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz and Clayton,

Great, problem solved!

Thanks!

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs