Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] WebFocus 8 RESTful API SignOn Permission Failure

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] WebFocus 8 RESTful API SignOn Permission Failure
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to call the WF 8 SignOn Restful API via the following URL along with a the required HTTP body information like the username and password.

ort/ibi_apps/rs/ibfs" target="_blank">http://hostRazzerort/ibi_apps/rs/ibfs
where:
host
Is the hostname at our site for WF8
port
Is the port number at our site for WF8

I'm passing a valid username and password, but I keep getting the following XML back.

Is there a setting somewhere controlling whether a particular user is permitted to call this web service?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Win2K7 64-Bit
all output

posted Hide Post
Not sure how my URL got mangled there but it should have been:

"http://hostRazzerort/ibi_apps/rs/ibfs"

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Win2K7 64-Bit
all output

posted Hide Post
Ok, my XML didn't take either. Hopefulle, it will take this time.

"

"

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Win2K7 64-Bit
all output

posted Hide Post
Trying again...Bear with me...

<ibfsrpc _jt="IBFSResponseObject" language="EN" name="signOn" returncode="99" returndesc="User is not permitted to use WebServices" subreturncode="0" subsystem="SSYS" type="simple">
<ibfsparams size="0"/>
</ibfsrpc>  

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Win2K7 64-Bit
all output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Craig,

First check - are you licensed to use the Web Services?

If you are, second check -
Have you given the user the right to use Web Services from within the WF8 Security Center?
This is a "Session" privilege that is not typically granted by default to a role. You should see it as a privilege listed under the "Advanced Reporting" privileges.

Hope that helps!

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Twanette,

Thanks for the reply.

As regards your first check, we were told that there was no separate licensing fee for the RESTful API by our Account Manager. Perhaps that is not the case; I'm not sure.

As regards the second check, I looked in Security Center for the privilege you refer to, but did not see it. I found some documentation mentioning a "Web Services" privilege but do not see it in our environment.

The only thing other thing I can think of is this: Our environment is currently running v8.0.2 and I see the RESTful API guide seems to pertain to v8.0.3. Was the RESTful API not fully implemented until v8.0.3?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Win2K7 64-Bit
all output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Craig,

I too may be wrong about the licensing - but perhaps it is worth asking your account manager to check this.

I think the software item is Web Services Enablement Option(WWEO), which I understand to be the RESTful API.

And if I am correct - then one of the reasons that you are not seeing Web Services in the Security Centre is because the Release 8 WebFOCUS Client License Key that was supplied to you does not include web services.

Kind Regards,
Twanette

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Twanette -- I think I will agree with you about the license key. I as well get the same issue as Craig on authentication, but once my browser is authenticated I can send calls. I do not have that option in Security Center either.

Doc

Ref.: WebFOCUS Security and Administration Version 8.0.02
http://ecl.informationbuilders....jsp?DN=4501185.0713
Appendix B Privileges
p. 364 Web Services

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

posted Hide Post
We're checking with IBI again about the licensing. First, we were told that the RESTful API was free, but when we opened a case for this issue we were told about the licensing. Once I receive final word, I'll post it here.
I experience the same thing as MattC also. If I log in to WF8 normally through a browser I can then just type in a URL for a RESTful web service and get XML back (or at least I can with the handful of API's I've tried). It's only with the SignOn API that I receive the error. It seems strange to me the the license requirement appears to only be enforced on SignOn and nowhere else.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Win2K7 64-Bit
all output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The RESTful Web Services API needs to be licensed.
Without it, you will not receive a license code that allows for the usage of WebFOCUS RESTful Web Services.

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do I set the opWebServices permission? I've created a role called WebSerices_Login and granted this role to the EVERYONE group on the root level Content folder. I still get "User is not permitted to use WebServices" when I log in as a non-admin. This works for our admin accounts but we want all users to be able to run reports through web services. We have full licensing for web services as far as I know.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs