Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Indenting Text in a Report that uses OVER

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Indenting Text in a Report that uses OVER
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have to create a report using the OVER statement and I also need to indent the text on certain lines. The report is run using a macro template that generates an Excel report. I can't use SHOWBLANKS=ON because for some reason, unknown to me, the macro will not run when the report opens up in Excel. This report is complicated because not only do I have to indent certain lines, but I have to read in the values of a certain column from the database by using the -READ function and populate the values in the report using the -READ variable. I pasted the Car File example that I created and the output that I get. As you can see, the variables are getting read in correctly, but when the report opens up in Excel the value of the variable does not show up. If anyone has the answer as to why the values of the variables do not show up in Excel, please let me know. If I cannot get this to work, I will have to use a suggestion from Waz in a previous post where he suggests using the MARKUP function. Thanks.

-***       Here is the TABLE FILE request    ***
-SET &ECHO = ALL;
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM DCOST
BY CAR 
BY MODEL 
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE SAVE AS HLDCAR
END
-RUN

-READ HLDCAR &TYPE_CAR.A16. &SPACE.A1. &MODEL_CAR.A24.
-CLOSE HLDCAR

-TYPE &TYPE_CAR &MODEL_CAR

-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(38,'    Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR', 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(57,'    Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR', 32,13,'A57');

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM DCOST   AS '&CAR_TYPE'  OVER
RCOST       AS '&MOD_TYPE '  
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

-***       Here is the code from the &ECHO = ALL         ***
TABLE FILE CARSUM DCOSTBY CARBY MODEL
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE SAVE AS HLDCAR
END
-RUN
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        1  LINES=      1
ALPHANUMERIC RECORD NAMED  HLDCAR
0 FIELDNAME                         ALIAS         FORMAT        LENGTH
CAR                                 CARS          A16            16
MODEL                               MODEL         A24            24
DEALER_COST                         DCOST         D7              7
TOTAL                                                          47
-CLOSE HLDCAR
-TYPE JAGUAR           12XKE AUTOJAGUAR           12XKE AUTO
-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(38,'    Dealer Cost for a JAGUAR          ', 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(57,'    Retail Cost for Model Number 12XKE AUTO              ', 32,13,'A57');
TABLE FILE CAR
"Dealer and Retail Cost"
" "
" "
SUM DCOST   AS 'Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR('  
OVER
RCOST       AS 'Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR*8P*3 '
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michele Brooks,

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

posted Hide Post
Despite what echo would have you believe those CTRANs aren't working right.
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM DCOST
BY CAR 
BY MODEL 
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE SAVE AS HLDCAR
END
-RUN

-CLOSE HLDCAR

-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(38,'    Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR', 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(57,'    Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR', 32,13,'A57');
-TYPE &CAR_TYPE
-TYPE &MOD_TYPE

Either
-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(38,'    Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL', 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(57,'    Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR.EVAL', 32,13,'A57');

or
-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(38,'    Dealer Cost for a ' | &TYPE_CAR.QUOTEDSTRING, 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(57,'    Retail Cost for Model Number ' | &MODEL_CAR.QUOTEDSTRING, 32,13,'A57');

should get the desired substitution.

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Linux
HTML, Excel, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
-SET &CAR_TYPE = CTRAN(38,' Dealer Cost for a ' | &TYPE_CAR.QUOTEDSTRING, 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE = CTRAN(57,' Retail Cost for Model Number ' | &MODEL_CAR.QUOTEDSTRING, 32,13,'A57');

Excellent suggestion. I tested the EVAL against the CAR File and it works. In the actual report request, I have some text after the .EVAL. How do I close up the space between the text before the EVAL and the text after the EVAL. When I run my report and open it up in Excel, there are spaces between the &NW_NAME2 and the word Company. I do not know how long the values will be for the .EVAL variable each month the report is run, so I'm putting a fixed length. Once again, thank you for the awesome suggestion.

-SET &DDC_NW2_NAME_TITLE             = CTRAN(52,'            &NW_NAME2.EVAL Company', 32,13,'A52');

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

posted Hide Post
TRUNCATE will remove any trailing spaces from the first variables before you start combining them into the full strings.
-SET &TYPE_CAR=TRUNCATE(&TYPE_CAR);
-SET &MODEL_CAR=TRUNCATE(&MODEL_CAR);

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Linux
HTML, Excel, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
-SET &TYPE_CAR=TRUNCATE(&TYPE_CAR);
-SET &MODEL_CAR=TRUNCATE(&MODEL_CAR);

Your suggestion worked. Thanks so much. However, now I'm facing a problem with trailing characters after the word Company because the length of the field in CTRAN is less than 52. I need the length to be 52 because the length of other companies in the table will be longer than others.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you have text after the inserted variable, and you want a fixed lengh output rather than the truncated length then just leave the output as is -
-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(38,'    Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL' || (' more text'), 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(57,'    Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR.EVAL' || (' yet more text'), 32,13,'A57');

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
-SET &CAR_TYPE = CTRAN(38,' Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL' || (' more text'), 32,13,'A38');
-SET &MOD_TYPE = CTRAN(57,' Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR.EVAL' || (' yet more text'), 32,13,'A57');

I am running into two problems when using the following CTRAN statement in my Car File example. First, the wording is wrapping around to the next line. I need the wording to be on one line. When I use a fixed length, if the value of the variable is shorter than the fixed length, garbage wording appears after the variable. I need to use a fixed length because the variable lengths are all different lengths. Your suggestion too, was excellent.

-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(70,'            Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL' || (' Purchased at Toyota'), 32,13,'A70');
-SET &MOD_TYPE    = CTRAN(76,'            Retail Cost for Model Number &MODEL_CAR.EVAL' || (' Purchased at Toyota'), 32,13,'A76');

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
the wording is wrapping around to the next line

But you're changing spaces to carriage returns which will cause the "wrap to next line". Isn't that what you wanted? If not then why the CTRAN?

Perhaps a graphical representation of what you want might help?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You're trying to create column titles with an embedded carriage-return character? I'm not sure this will work...

Meanwhile, to ensure the garbage isn't tacked on to the end of the CTRAN result, you need to provide the real length of the string, something like this (where 30 and 20 are the lengths of the non-variable string):
-SET &STR_LEN = 30 + &TYPE_CAR.LENGTH + 20;
-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(&STR_LEN,'            Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL' || (' Purchased at Toyota'), 32,13,'A&STR_LEN');

"A column title can contain up to five lines of text". It looks like your column titles have more than that, perhaps this is why things are not working. Also, normally, "To specify a multiple-line column title, separate each line with a comma", so try a comma instead of a carriage return, but limit them to a maximum of four (for five lines).

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I was using the carriage return to insert blank spaces in front of certain lines, like so. I can't use SHOWBLANKS=ON because it interfers with the macro template when the report opens up in Excel. All I'm trying to do is a report that uses the OVER statement and that has certain lines indented. Thanks.

ABC Company            OVER
  Company 1            OVER
    Sub-Company 1      OVER
       Sub-Company 1a

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
But the &TYPE_CAR and &MODEL_CAR variables are static, they won't change for each data row...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
In my actual report, I'm pulling in names that are defined as character 50. There may be 5 names that I read in for the month of December. The length of the names may be as follows:

Toyota Car Company (A18)
Ford Car Company (A16)
Chrysler Car Company (A20)
Hyundai Car Company (A19)
Mazda Car Company (A17)

If the variable value in the CTRAN function is shorter than the CTRAN format, garbage is inserted after the text and it displays on the report. Even though the length that I defined is fixed, the actual values that I read in vary in length. I need a way to prevent the garbage from appearing after the text if the variable is shorter than the fixed length specified in CTRAN. I also need all of the text to appear on one line. Perhaps I'm using the wrong CTRAN code for what I want to do. Thanks.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Did this help?

Meanwhile, to ensure the garbage isn't tacked on to the end of the CTRAN result, you need to provide the real length of the string, something like this (where 30 and 20 are the lengths of the non-variable strings):
-SET &CAR_TYPE    = CTRAN(&STR_LEN,'            Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL' || (' Purchased at Toyota'), 32,13,'A&STR_LEN');

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
-SET &CAR_TYPE = CTRAN(&STR_LEN,' Dealer Cost for a &TYPE_CAR.EVAL' || (' Purchased at Toyota'), 32,13,'A&STR_LEN');

Super suggestion.  I used the pasted code below based on your excellent suggestion.  When I look at the source code output, the correct value and length shows up, but when the report opened up in Excel, the row was blank.  This is the code that I used.  Unfortunately I cannot paste the confidential source code.
The x's represent the text that goes there.

-SET &STR_LEN1 = 12 + &NW_NAME1.LENGTH + 11;
-SET &DDC_NW1_RED_TITLE             = CTRAN(&STR_LEN1,'            &NW_NAME1.EVAL' || (' xxxxxxxxxx'), 32,13,'A&STR_LEN1');

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
I just don't think you can use embedded carriage-returns for Excel output.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
I just figured out how CTRAN will work. When doing a report that uses the OVER statement and that will be exported to Excel, the maximum CTRAN length is 47 if you want all of your text to appear on the same line. Otherwise, the text will wrap to the next line and the cell row will naturally be larger than the rest of the rows because the text for the CTRAN row takes up two rows. I used the pasted CTRAN code in my report and it works like a charm. Thanks to everyones input I now know how to use this function properly. In order for me to be able to use the CTRAN function, I would have to shorten the variable name so that it and any other text that I want to display on that row fits in that cell on the Excel report. Thanks again to all who gave me excellent suggestions for getting a complicated report done. I love Focal Point. And, to you Francis I say "An old coder never leaves a mess."

-SET &TITLE_NAME             = CTRAN(47,'            &NW_NAME1.EVAL' || (' Dec Losses'), 32,13,'A47');

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

posted Hide Post
To explain a bit, there aren't actually carriage returns in the Excel file. While WF would normally remove leading spaces from title text, the carriage returns somehow show up as spaces in Excel. Thus, they can be used to indent without SHOWBLANKS=ON. (How Michelle discovered this I have no idea.)

So you don't really need to CTRAN the whole title text, just create an indentation string to put on the beginning as needed.
-SET &INDENT=CTRAN(4, '    ', 32, 13, 'A4');
-SET &CAR_TYPE=&INDENT | 'Dealer Cost for a ' | &TYPE_CAR;
-SET &MOD_TYPE=&INDENT | 'Retail Cost for Model Number ' | &MODEL_CAR;

However, the problem with the wrapping isn't because of the CTRAN. It's a general issue with OVER and Excel.
TYPE=TITLE, WRAP=OFF,$

Will stop the wrapping, but I can't find any way to force the column to be wide enough to show all the text.

I don't know the hierarchy is expressed in your data, but may I suggest something like the following based on CAR's to get the results you're looking for:
-SET &INDENT=CTRAN(4, '    ', 32, 13, 'A4');

DEFINE FILE CAR
 TOTAL_DCOST/D22.2CM=DCOST;
 TOTAL_RCOST/D22.2CM=RCOST;
 COUNTRY_LBL/A99V=&INDENT.QUOTEDSTRING | 'Country: ' | COUNTRY | ' costs';
 COUNTRY_DCOST/D22.2CM=DCOST;
 COUNTRY_RCOST/D22.2CM=RCOST;
 CAR_LBL/A99V=&INDENT.QUOTEDSTRING | &INDENT.QUOTEDSTRING | 'Car: ' | CAR | ' costs';
 CAR_DCOST/D22.2CM=DCOST;
 CAR_RCOST/D22.2CM=RCOST;
 MODEL_LBL/A99V=&INDENT.QUOTEDSTRING | &INDENT.QUOTEDSTRING | &INDENT.QUOTEDSTRING | 'Model: ' | MODEL | ' costs';
 MODEL_DCOST/D22.2CM=DCOST;
 MODEL_RCOST/D22.2CM=RCOST;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
 TOTAL_DCOST NOPRINT
 TOTAL_RCOST NOPRINT
SUM
 COUNTRY_DCOST NOPRINT
 COUNTRY_RCOST NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
SUM
 CAR_DCOST NOPRINT
 CAR_RCOST NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT
SUM
 MODEL_LBL AS ''
 MODEL_DCOST AS ''
 MODEL_RCOST AS ''
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT
BY MODEL NOPRINT
ON TABLE SUBHEAD
" <+0>Dealer Cost<+0>Retail Cost"
"Total Costs<TOTAL_DCOST<TOTAL_RCOST"
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
"<COUNTRY_LBL<COUNTRY_DCOST<COUNTRY_RCOST"
ON CAR SUBHEAD
"<CAR_LBL<CAR_DCOST<CAR_RCOST"
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL_LBL, WRAP=4.0,$
 TYPE=TABHEADING, HEADALIGN=BODY, JUSTIFY=RIGHT,$
 TYPE=TABHEADING, LINE=1, JUSTIFY=CENTER, STYLE=BOLD,$
 TYPE=TABHEADING, ITEM=1, JUSTIFY=LEFT,$
 TYPE=SUBHEAD, HEADALIGN=BODY, JUSTIFY=RIGHT,$
 TYPE=SUBHEAD, ITEM=1, JUSTIFY=LEFT,$
ENDSTYLE
END

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Linux
HTML, Excel, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
Nick thanks for the explanation. I will try your suggestion and provide feedback on the results. All I know is that this is a lot of coding for a simple report using OVER and indentation. As far as the CTRAN carriage control syntax, I think I saw an example on Focal Point of someone using the carriage return code to generate spaces. If I find it, I'll let you know. Thanks for getting me started on this daunting task.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
-SET &INDENT=CTRAN(4, ' ', 32, 13, 'A4');

Nick, in looking at your suggestion more closely, I will not be able to set up my report that way. The report that I am working on uses SUM, COMPUTE, BY, and ACROSS. It has a static heading of nine lines and contains a macro template that exports the report in Excel. If the heading is not nine lines, the macro template will not work. If I use subheads or subfoots in this report, the macro will not run. If the report did not use the macro template, I may possibly be able to use your suggestion. I will a copy your example for future references. Thanks again.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Why not change the macro logic then? Music

It seems like it's the one stopping your from styling the report exactly as you want it. Razzer

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
I am consulting on a temporary assignment and the director does not want the macro to be modified at all. The macro template was set up by a third party vendor some time prior to my tempoarary assignment. There were several macro templates created and there are tons of reports that use them. Therefore, I must work within the constraints of the macro template.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Guru
posted Hide Post
Have you tried usint the Squeez function?

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
This is what I have coded in the program

TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=8,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
  $

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Not StyleSheet SQUEEZE, SQUEEZ function...
In Dev Studio, click on Help --> Search, type in SQUEEZ and you'll see this at the top of the list:

SQUEEZ: Reducing Multiple Spaces to a Single Space

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Michele,

Go to the top of the page and do a Search on Squeez. This will give a list of posts and some examples.

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I read up on SQUEEZE. Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to go with the CTRAN function. In this particular report, I would not need to use the SQUEEZE function. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. This post is resolved.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output