Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Language conversion.....

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Language conversion.....
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi all,
is there any way to convert the language from English to spanish.if i have a report which displays the data in English,Now if i want to see the report in other language say "spanish"then whats the way to so,is there any documentation where i can look into....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Posts: 160 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: July 16, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
NLS or National Language Support

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
National Language Support for International Computing

And do a search on the forum it's a topic that has a fair bit of cover

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you want the data of the report in Spanish? WebFOCUS can't do that.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
what will the NLS support do for WebFocus,if i cannot get the data in spanish....

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Swati,

Do you want to translate DATA into spanish?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Swati, if you want eg. column titles translated then you can pick up the column text from a table with a language code and a column code. I've done this for a financial Group Consolidation system.

Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can have almost anything displayed in your language of choice. The webfocus strings are almost all translatable by means of setting the nls characteristics as indicated before.
Column names and titles of fields can be set in the required language by adding them to the master file - there are things in place to have multiple titles depending on the language set.
But what you can't do is translate the contents of the fields. That will just display as is - it's database controlled, not webfocus controlled.
What you can do is redesign your database, so that for every language you need to report in the fields are duplicated. But that would be a bit too much IMHO.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Gamp,
What i am looking to get is to display the title's and the heading's and footings only in spanish,i dont want the contents of the fields in spanish as they are Database controlled so we cannot Modify in webfocus.

can you tell me,suppose i have a sample table ABC.mas then where i have to make the changes for the NLS parameters,to get the spanish display.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Swati,

You can do 1 of 4 things:
1. Have 2 copies of each focexec, one in English and one is Spanish (not recommended...)
2. Use &variables for each HEADING and FOOTING and Dialog Manager to choose the text according to one variable which defines the language. Use the MASTER file for TITLEs.
3. Use only &variables as above and put all the values in a database. You then load values into the variables at the beginning of your focexec.
4. We have done this and can provide the environment.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this thread as well...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
thanks Francis,will explore from the thread...

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
where exactly i need to set in the master file regarding the NLS CHARACTERSTICS,so that i can have the spanish in the report.I am looking to change the tiles and Headings and footings for the reports which i have in english into spanish.
-->one more thing do i need to have the ADMIN Privilage for the NLS setting. as i have seen the manual and it shows to go to Admin console and enable the Dynamic Language Switch.........

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Documentation, documentation, documentation!

Describing Data With WebFOCUS Language > Describing an Individual Field > Multilingual Metadata Take a look at "Specify Multilingual Metadata in a Master File" and "Activate the Use of a Language".

These topics are available via the provided link and also via Dev Studio Help.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you francis.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swati,

windows
PDF,EXCEL.