Focal Point
Output report as 'flat file' text file with no commas or quotes

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3191046762

January 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
mark66
Output report as 'flat file' text file with no commas or quotes
Hi all,

A customer recently requested that the scheduled report he received be formatted as .txt.

‘No problem I thought and changed the output format in the Report Caster to COMMA. However the customer has responded saying that the quotation marks that surround each alpha field are causing their software problems. They have now requested that we “send a flat file without comma separation”.

I have worked my way through the available formats and have so far been unable to find a text format that doesn't output commas or quotation marks. I have viewed the online help page "Choosing Output File Formats" and it appears that all the text formats output quotation marks?:

quote:
".....with fields separated by commas and with character values enclosed in double quotation marks"

Is a pure flat file option available? Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks Smiler

WebFocus 765. iSeries v5r4
January 23, 2008, 10:08 AM
Glenda
ON TABLE SAVE AS FILENAME FORMAT ALPHA

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows
January 23, 2008, 10:09 AM
Francis Mariani
Have you tried FORMAT ALPHA? The file will be created as data in columns - no commas, no quotation marks, no tabs.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
January 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
mark66
Thanks guys, ALPHA worked just fine.

I found that someone (yes me) had hardcoded 'COMT' into the program, so no matter what I set it to in the Report Caster it got overriden! Music

Sorry!

WebFocus 765. iSeries v5r4