Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     All I want for Christmas ........ (within Dev Studio)
Page 1 2 3 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
All I want for Christmas ........ (within Dev Studio)
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Carol a colleague and I were just talking about that last week! It would be nice for sure to have &&MEGA_KILL_RPC Smiler

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Jodye,

Great variable name. It would make things so much easier than having a pretask for each task. Maybe someday it will be available!

Thanks for agreeing!
Carol

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Itis not All I want for christmas, but something among others.....

The possibility to run a repostcaster proces on the first (or last) Business Day in a month.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I have a fex that I run as a subsequent process to set the next runtime for a schedule. PM on it's way.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
&&NUKE_RPC
oh this could be fun.

i do hear that coming soon is a way to get a caster job to launch a simultaneous agent.
ohhh...man would that be swell.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give an update on the many things we have discussed in this thread.
We just completed our 769 release and in addition to bug fixes it also contains a few new features and quite a few of your wishes.
To begin, we have added the F5 shortcut as an option to run requests and it is available from a few places: Text Editor, Procedure Viewer, Command Console & Report Painter.
We have also reorganized and added shortcuts to the Text Editor and same options were added to the Command Console.
We also dedicated resources in addressing performance issues and we have optimized code to avoid redundant calls and improved process of retrieving list of applications and displaying application files as was noted by John H.
Some specific areas that were improved:
- Cache results to improve display of apps under the Data Servers area
(for a server w/ 100 applications the tree node used to expand in 6-7 seconds. Now it takes somewhere between 0.25 to 0.4 seconds: a 15-20 fold time improvement. The fix affects various parts of the MR/Data Servers areas (dialogs, list population, tree node expansion etc.)
- Reduced the time needed to show a 1500 FEX list from 12 seconds to somewhere around 3.5 seconds.
- Eliminated some unnecessary file list calls to the middle tier reducing the network traffic.
- GFA: Cache data (retrieved redundantly by expensive operations) when populating a list view.
- For GFAs: when updating SCC attributes, use already existing information without re-querying the list of available files (used just for this purpose). This reduces the number of trips to the server (network traffic).
- Reduce the number of trips to the SCC repository server (improve the bulk retrieval operation).
This does not address all performance issues mentioned in this discussion and we will actively work on further performance enhancements as we move along.

A few more notes on other enhancements that were discussed in this thread:
1. Ability to use other browsers - we are researching this request.
2. Line numbers visible as a column in editor. There are no plans on adding this option.
Col/Line numbers are visible in the status bar and product provides the ability to use other text editors.
3. Usability enhancements such as the one to have tabs to switch between open procedures will be reviewed in a future release.
4. Search – this will also be reviewed in a future new release
5. Dev Studio locking when request is submitted. I found out that there is a very short period after submitting a request to IE where Dev Studio needs to wait for an IE notification that ensures the entire request was properly received by IE. When this state is established, the developer can continue working w/ Dev studio.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is a very short period after submitting a request to IE where Dev Studio needs to wait for an IE notification that ensures the entire request was properly received by IE.

This is different functionality from 7.1.6, is this process tightening? and is it something we should be concerned about in 7.1.6?

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,
This was introduced in recent 76 releases (I think since 765) as we had encountered an issue where the entire request was not always received by the browser and may have been due to certain unique environment conditions.
This is not available in 71x but if you encounter any issues that may be related to this, we would be happy to review and if needed we can put this fix in 71x releases.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dimitri,

Thanks for your very kind offer but ...... In fact it is one of the main reasons that I still use 7.1.6 out of preference, and it will likely cause me to downgrade even more as I find it incredibly frustrating and detrimental to efficient working processes - whilst I am waiting for one process to run in development I am often working on another couple at the same time (yes folks - multitasking Wink) The delay before DS will allow me back at the code I want to work on is not good for me.

I think that I have seen the behaviour to which you elude - processes seemingly hanging? - I'll live with that as we ensure nothing hits production until it runs correctly from MRE or Self Serve (and it only seems to affect items run directly from DS anyway).

So ... Thanks but no thanks Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
From my experience, the time needed to send the request to the browser and for Dev Studio to receive the complete/ready state notification is minimal, should not impact development and allow you to quickly return to Dev Studio and continue development.
If this behavior is impacting developers using 76, please let me know or open a case so we can investigate this further.

Thank you.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is not impacting me nor have I heard any complaints about this from the business developers.

I am using 7.6.5 and other than the previously reported slowness (for which I did open a case, DP) and the occasionally disappearing line number reference, I am reasonably happy with this release.

And, Tony, thanks for the heads-up on the drag-and-drop. I had intended to put 7.6.9 on but will wait for the hot fix that DP said is coming.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Ginny, Thank you for the info.
I owe you an update on the performance issue. Sorry for the delay.
W/ regards to the disappearing line num reference, I don't recall this issue.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Re: Disappearing line numbers. I checked back on my list of cases and couldn't find it. It is sporadic. Closing and reopening DS resolves the issue. It is fine today. Wink

If it gets bad again, I'll open another case.

Now I'll anxiously await 7.6.9-hotfix.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
After I FIND something, I often would like to FIND it again. So, in other softwares, I can press or something else to re-execute the last FIND . Also, most FINDs always redisplay that last FIND that you executed... ...not what you happen to be highlighting at the moment.

It would be GREAT if DS would truly return to the spot you were at when you re-open the pgm. I have to make AT LEAST 6 CLICKS to get back to where I was before.

The Graph GUI Needs Serious work and should allow all settings to be made from the GUI... ..not program this in the GUI and that in the code.

Brian Bollmann
Spartan Light Metal Products
WebFocus 7.6.4 / iSeries / WebSphere

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian,
Once initial Find is performed, pressing F3 will search for next instance and Shift+F3 will search for previous instance.
The items used in searches are kept in the Find dialog if you press the arrow in the Find text drop down list.
Remembering the location you were in is a good point and we need to do more in this area. We currently keep information for last app/environment used only while working in the Projects area.
For Graph, are you using the Advanced Graph tool?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dimitris Poulos,

Regards,
Dimitri

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know the Dev Studio 769 HotFix 1 is available for downloads from the tech support site.

Regards,
Dimitri

Guru
posted Hide Post
Any documentation as to what is in this hotfix?

Release: WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Output formats: HTML, PDF, Excel, csv

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Following is the list of issues addressed in the hotfix (includes Dev Studio and WebFOCUS fixes). This info is also included in a readme file packaged w/ the hotfix:
99511 - HTML Layout Dynamic Lists, fail when protect IBIF_adhocfex
101374 - Upload Data File: General/Text column values incorrect in XLS and TXT files
101410 - Report Caster Schd Blackout Dates groups popup menu truncate name
101685 - Let password be optional for SFTP with RSA plug-in
101806 - Disable default_request for XML request for Dynamic MFD
101808 - RA:Save As saves to same report in My Reports
101872 - HTML Composer onchange event for chained control does not work
101938 - HTTP 500 error changing InfoAssist Properties in console
101955 - Report Caster save SFTP Schedule ylds HTTP 500
102020 - Report Caster Alert behavior in 768 different than in 767
102091 - Report Caster failover server on demand jobs
101623 - Allow Dev Studio to connect on fail to sync w/ReportCaster repository
101966 - Dev Studio: Drag and Drop capability broken in Text Editor
101880 - JOIN WHERE should prime expression builder with default WHERE
102321 - Report Painter Variable Editor adds fully-qualified field name to "Display Value" of Static list
97357 - Allow DS 76x to open Synonym Editor when connected to a 770 Reporting Server
101901 - Edit Visual Discovery properties removes data binding
102399 - HTML Composer 769 user output resets
102372 - HTML Composer 769 Radio button control sizing ignored at runtime
102401 - HTML Composer 769 Double List Control with 'MULTISELECT AND' causes FOC32498 error
51482548 - HTML Composer 769 Dynamic lookup not working with multiple APP PATH set in MR

Regards,
Dimitri

posted Hide Post
First off, my hats off to you and your team Dimitris.

quote:
Originally posted by Dimitris Poulos:
2. Line numbers visible as a column in editor. There are no plans on adding this option.
Col/Line numbers are visible in the status bar and product provides the ability to use other text editors.

What about a CTRL-G shortcut for a Goto line number dialog instead?

WebFOCUS 7.69
Windows
Output: All formats

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
Dimitri,

Thanks for your very kind offer but ...... In fact it is one of the main reasons that I still use 7.1.6 out of preference, and it will likely cause me to downgrade even more as I find it incredibly frustrating and detrimental to efficient working processes - whilst I am waiting for one process to run in development I am often working on another couple at the same time (yes folks - multitasking Wink) The delay before DS will allow me back at the code I want to work on is not good for me.

I think that I have seen the behaviour to which you elude - processes seemingly hanging? - I'll live with that as we ensure nothing hits production until it runs correctly from MRE or Self Serve (and it only seems to affect items run directly from DS anyway).

So ... Thanks but no thanks Wink

T

i must echo Tony's comments here- the link between DS and the browser screen needs to be fixed- i have on a number of occasions considered going right back to 7.1 to get around this huge annoyance...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Please point this out to Brian Suter...who keeps saying the problem doesn't exist, but which we all know does exist, and drives us insane!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Susannah,
I never said a problem does not exist. I said we had fixed a problem in early 2008 which caused long delays opening a file in certain security systems. I was asking for more details on your statement that it takes 120 seconds to open a fex so we could address it. You had implied that DS attempts to connect to all environments before it comes up ... and while it may have done that at some point, I said that is not happening in 769.

I am not denying - I am looking for specifics.

We want to improve the speed and operational ease of Dev Studio. In 769, we improve the DS tree paint for larger systems deployments. Measurement went from 6-7 seconds to .4 seconds.

Tony A, Your comment is not about opening fexs, but about a delay of being able to re-activate the DS window while waiting for a RUN to happen in a browser window. It is easily duplicated with a fex that starts SLEEP 60. Am I right that is what you are referring to?

The delay does need to be addressed.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian,

Yes is the answer although I am not in a position to check the SLEEP 60 duplication to confirm. I'm sure that in another post it was mentioned that there were issues where IE (aka Internet Exploiter Wink) didn't always get the whole package and thats why the wait was evident.

Before anyone suggests using an alternate browser, let me add that this is my Client's choice and I cannot advise them to use an alternative, so testing with one is not possible / relevant.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
Per Brian's request, programming revisited the Dev Studio implementation where a delay occurred after submitting a request that would prevent the developer to return and use the product immediately, and this process was redesigned to eliminate this delay.
This fix plus performance enhancements in displaying large number of applications, listing files and improving time it would take to create a new procedure will be available in 7610.

Regards,
Dimitri