Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     All I want for Christmas ........ (within Dev Studio)
Page 1 2 3 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
All I want for Christmas ........ (within Dev Studio)
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Ginny and everyone following this discussion,
469 are a lot of directories/apps and depending on a few factors (network, platform, …) the process to retrieve available apps and display in Dev Studio can take some time and we will review performance improvements for this case. Once apps are retrieved, creation of a new file should be quick. We will review this against AIX and see where we can optimize calls and improve performance.

Susannah, when copying MR files or domains from one environment to another e.g. dev to test, the product I designed to preserve href names. If a file with the same href exists in the new location, the developer should get prompted to overwrite or create a new file using a new href. Please let me know if you are experiencing a different behavior or have encountered other issues w/ this process.

Nubi, to experience the performance improvement during startup, you need to hide the Projects area from the Dev Studio explorer.
I agree w/ your points. Navigation, file retrieval, saving etc. should not have major/unacceptable delays and we will try to improve as much as possible in the next SP (769) and we will continue this review as we move along.
The ability to edit, run a request and then continue to develop while report is running should not be an issue w/ the product at present.
There are parts w/ the UI of the product that need updating I agree w/ this as well and we try to update and redesign product areas and tools as we move along. We have been thinking of using the tab implementation as done w/ MS SQL Server for our metadata tools (Syn Editor/Business Views).
With regards to console screen are you referring to the Command Console?
Options to search, upper/lower case text are available while in the text editor and tasks such as changing case are available from context menu (after highlighting text) and toolbar. Functions are available only while using graphical tools, this is not available from an editor.

- Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That is a small improvement.

It would be nice for the text editor to be like all other programmer's text editors by showing line numbers at the left of each line.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i'm very happy w/ the way it works Dimitri
if i move a file from one server to another w/ devstu, it updates the mre's .htm very nicely.
i DO have to create the group/folder first(unless i'm copying the entire domain outside of devstu) but i don't mind that a bit.
If i copy a file OUTSIDE of devstu, using a unix tool, it of course does NOT update the domain's .htm. so i'm quite happy w/ devstu's file moving.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
jamie, yes i know, and thanks for the reminder.
i want to see them, print them, as in TEXTPAD.
But its not a deal breaker by any means. Just what i want in my xmas stocking...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I realize that 490 directories are a lot. That is down from a high of 530 and it is a never-ending struggle for me to work with business users to 'clean up'.

I timed creating a new fex to the point where the control asking for the name came up and it took almost a minute. That seems a little long to me.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah.
i noticed that, too.
so i just create them in mre.
even if they're backend fexes

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nubi, to experience the performance improvement
during startup, you need to hide the Projects area from the Dev Studio explorer.

Hi Dimitri, thanks for the reply.

We don't use the projects area as already stated and therefore its diabled from showing in the options at the DS install stage.

I agree w/ your points. Navigation, file
 retrieval, saving etc. should not have 
major/unacceptable delays and we will try to 
improve as much as possible in the next SP (769) and we will continue this review as we 
move along.

i'd say there is a 10-15 second average time to copy, delete, create or save any new file type within DS so what ever improvements you make would be greatly appreciated, ultimtaley i'd expect it to have the same response time as doing something in Windows Explorer.

The ability to edit, run a request and then continue to develop while report is running should not be an issue w/ the product at present. 

and yet it is, otherwise i wouldn't have mentioned it. every reporting development environement ive ever used has allowed you to run reports and return to the code screen while the report is being executed. Even Notepadd++ allows you to return to the code and either amend it or run another request the instance you trigger a report running in IE, no one here can fathom why it wont let you return immediately to DS when you have triggered a report. Our DS whites out for 5 - 10 seconds and then finally starts repsonding again whenever we run a report.

and tab implementation would be excellent!!

With regards to console screen are you referring to the Command Console?   

yes, although its meant to be a different beast to the text editor i tend to use it for all my ad-hoc needs and sometimes need to run long statements in the console to test against a different environment without having to migrate anything so it would be great to have the Capitalize/Add comment functionality added to the already existing right-click context menu.

I don't ever use the graphical painter interface and don't consider the context menu a graphical tool so i hope i haven't confused you- i see the command console as an extension to the text editor so feel it should have similar functionality...although there may be good reasons why it is setup like it is.

oh and lastly- an F5 run button would be fantastic!!

thanks again for taking the time to engage us.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GinnyJakes:
I timed creating a new fex to the point where the control asking for the name came up and it took almost a minute. That seems a little long to me.

this is it, its understandable that there is a short delay creating new instances of a report in MRE due to the updating of the HTML but outside of MRE there shouldn't be a problem, especially if you are not using projects...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nubi,

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Expert
posted Hide Post
Whoa, this is turning into something that I didn't intend when begining the thread. The original intention was to just mention what would be nice to have in Dev Studio.

I think that we still need to recognise that, whilst Dimitri has mentioned that he likes certain ideas and may consider them for future enhancements, any performance problems and percieved bugs should still be reported via InfoResponse? (jump in here IB).

If each of you consider what your internal support teams require, I would hazard a guess that they need the problem documented via a problem management system. I know IB have the same requirement and their system is InfoResponse.

So please, don't give Dimitri a hard time on what doesn't work the way it should. Work with him by making sure that the problem is reported in the correct manner so that it can be progressed properly.

Just my two penneth!

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi again everyone.
Thanks Tony. This is a good discussion and I have taken quite a few action items out of this that I will work on immediately and hopefully make available very soon.
I see that performance seems to be on the top of the list and as I mentioned this is actively been worked on and we are looking into areas that can be optimized. As Tony recommended, it would be best if have cases are opened for your specific performance issues and NFR requests so we can better research and make improvements.
… and to reply to a few recent posts:
Susannah, I’m glad the copy operation is working fine while using Dev Studio.
You should be able to also copy entire domains or sub-groups as well (for these cases the Copy command is only available from the Edit menu! – we will fix this discrepancy and add the Copy command in the context menu as well).
Ginny, Can you please create a Dev Studio communication level trace (WFSCOM trace) that is started when you perform the save operation from the Data Servers area and stop the trace when the save operation completes. The trace utility is available from the Dev Studio program group under the sub-group “WebFOCUS Developer Studio Utilities” and called “Communication Layer Trace”. Please run this utility and turn traces ON using default trace level when save operation is initiated and when required trace is created please turn trace OFF, save and email the trace file to me @ Dimitris_poulos@ibi.com so we can review why this delay occurs. FYI - Enabling tracing will slow down performance.
Nubi, I have not seen any issues while developing and running reports. As soon as a report is run, we simply send the request to the server, open a browser and from that point on you should be able to immediately return to Dev Studio and continue development. Please open a case for this and if possible ask our support team for remote session to go over this issue.
The Command Console was made available as a way to run requests against the Reporting Server as done through the command prompt. Most, if not all, commands need to be in upper case and this tool was not intended to be used as an editor and this is the reason for not having edit commands available. Also commands and requests entered are not saved – you can go back to an executed command and modify it but once tool is closed memory is cleared.

Thank you.

Regards,
Dimitri

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Dimitri

Have done those traces you are talking about.

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...931042742#7931042742

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...761052662#1761052662

Hottracks have been raised for both and prob replicated with Whilhemina.

You may be able to get a quick fix of this because it may be down to compiler settings.

The slowness is not in retrieving the directory listing from the server but in inserting the entries into memory on the local computer.

You may have chosen a setting in the early days for your build that minimised memory usage but this is no longer relevant to todays machines.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
i know commands and requests entered are not saved, as stated i use it for ad-hoc reporting, purely because it takes too long to create a new blank fex if i need to do a bit of discovery and data analysis- if i was able to create blank fexes quickly i probably wouldn't use it that much- but's its a good way to run mini queries or do a bit of

quote:
The Command Console was made available as a way to run requests against the Reporting Server as done through the command prompt. Most, if not all, commands need to be in upper case and this tool was not intended to be used as an editor and this is the reason for not having edit commands available.

Ah but they are avaialble, there is a conetxt menu with copy, paste etc etc- so looks like it was half completed - im sure thats not the case but was just saying that if you alreday have a context menu setup in console couldn't you just use the classes/objects set up for the context menu in the text editor to get it to work the same... i can't see a reason why not?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nubi,

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Another feature I would love....

Find in files!

Don't we all have stuff we know we've done somewhere in some app at some point in time but don't know where? We gotta go to another application (like TextPad) to search the content of our DevStudio files to find what we're looking for. I think it would be great if we could just do it from WITHIN DevStudio. Just a thought.

Release: WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Output formats: HTML, PDF, Excel, csv

Expert
posted Hide Post
the JOIN images..
i'ld really like it if they didn't lock up all the time. Brio's don't lock up, ever, it seems.
DevStu's always do.
DevStu is better than an erwin b/c it shows the actual fields that link up...
but trying to move the file images around is ageda up the gazzink.

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChannyS:
Another feature I would love....

Find in files!

Don't we all have stuff we know we've done somewhere in some app at some point in time but don't know where? We gotta go to another application (like TextPad) to search the content of our DevStudio files to find what we're looking for. I think it would be great if we could just do it from WITHIN DevStudio. Just a thought.

we use Agent Ransack, its actually one of the times i dont mind using a 3rd party app as its so rapid...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by susannah:

DevStu is better than an erwin b/c it shows the actual fields that link up...
[QUOTE]

by join images do you mean the CHECK FILE PICTURE statement?

i could never get Erwin working on even a subset of our database- it just crashed each time, its abismal

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
no nubi, not the CHECK, although that's quite useful, its the image built in the GUI when you construct the JOIN, i take a screen shot when i'm done, but the bits don't like to be moved around...and with the limit now upped to 63 joins, i just don't see how you could get that tool to work well.

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nubi:
i would simply love that! to not have to leave my keyboard and navigate to the run button would make coding that little bit nicer..

Ive found that in Console this already exists- CTRL + Enter will run the code for you, therefore it should be very easy to get this working in the editor

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Jamie,

That's what I thought. However, when I open the View menu, while in the text editor, it has one choice -- Options. I didn't see anything in the Options dialog box that relates to the status bar. Am I overlooking something?

Thank you,

John

WF 7.7.03, Windows 7, HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 225 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JohnB,

I also no see option but line and col show in status bar. Default?

Kofi

Client Server 8.1.05: Apache; Tomcat;Windows Server 2012
Reporting Server 8.1.05; Oracle; MS SQL; Windows Server 2012

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Line # and Col # will only display in the status bar.

Regards,
Dimitri

Guru
posted Hide Post
I just want the Multiple property on listboxes to work properly in HTML Layout Painter.

I mean, I have other wants, but that's my biggest gripe. Because, really, how much effort is it to just fix that???

(In case you haven't noticed... if you're on HTML Layout Painter and you have a listbox, you then set the Multiple property, it gives some bullcrap error message and when you just go ahead and say, yes, do it anyway, it sets multiple just fine... then you save it and exit, then go back and re-edit it, changing something else completely, not touching multiple property at all, well, voila, multiple setting is gone on a vacation to the bahamas or wherever multiple properties want to vacation these days...)

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Probably vacationing with all the other forgotten people in New Orleans' Lower Ninth Ward...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Line # and Col # will only display in the status bar.

But only when it wants to. Some days it works and some days it doesn't. The only way to correct it is to restart DS. I did open a case for this for 7.6.2. It is still not fixed.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
Glad everyone is still having a good sense of humor.
I know its not funny and Anatess I will contact you to get some additional info but if no case is opened I don't expect that your issue will be resolved unless encountered by other developers and there is a case for this issue.
As for the Line/Col # displaying in the status bar, I have not encountered this issue and have not seen any cases related to this.
I will also follow up w/ an update to progress made for your other wishes mentioned in this discussion.

Regards,
Dimitri

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
One thing that I would like...

when you do a search in the text editor the ability to wrap the search back to the beginning is sorely missing. Now If I am searching for some text I need to search forwards and then do a new search backwards.

Just my 2cents.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Those 2 cents are quite valuable! It's definitely needed.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Jodye,
Good point. Unfortunately it will not be addressed in 769, but we plan on making this available in an upcoming SP.

Regards,
Dimitri

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Dimitri

Great, glad to hear it.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I would like an variable in ReportCaster that kills the whole job, and not just one task. Instead of &&KIL_RPC at the task level, kill the whole job! We are not using MRE so therefore don't have access to the Alert function.

JMTC!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post