Focal Point
[CLOSED] Printer Issues

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3197020296

November 21, 2019, 09:56 AM
jcannavo
[CLOSED] Printer Issues
Hello experts!

We've had a scheduled job that has been in place for years that distributes to a network printer (process created before my time on the job). Within the last couple of months Caster has thrown an error every now and again due to connection. Now it seems it won't work at all always throwing the error "The distribution failed: Connection timed out: connect". I tried another printer of the same kind and receive the same error. Also tried a different type of printer, and the job processed just fine the first time then wouldn't anymore with the same connection error.

Again as I mentioned this was built before my time on the job, and I've never built anything that went direct to printer, so I'm not positive what else I can try or review. I've searched the forum and there's not much about printing. I've searched the documentation, but I'm not finding any settings I need to look at.

The FEX itself is outputting: ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF

The job then is set to override the format specified and we set it to PostScript.

We're calling the printer by IP, and I am able to ping that IP from the server and get a reply. Our networking team doesn't believe it's actually a connection issue, so I'm at a loss. I've verified that I can print directly from my machine to all printers as well.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

JC
WebFOCUS Dev Studio / App Studio
Windows 7
November 22, 2019, 12:01 PM
FP Mod Chuck
jcannavo

If you haven't done so already I suggest you open a case with techsupport, they will probably need traces to debug this.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
November 22, 2019, 04:33 PM
jcannavo
Thanks Chuck.

I turned into the squeaky wheel and our network and systems teams are digging into it further. If they don't find the problem I'll definitely submit a case.

JC
WebFOCUS Dev Studio / App Studio
Windows 7