Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Visual Discovery Data Sheet - adding comma for 1000 separator

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Visual Discovery Data Sheet - adding comma for 1000 separator
 Login/Join

<Pants>
posted
I am using a data sheet as part of a dashboard. The problem is that I have data that should be displayed as text only (no commas for numbers greater than 999). But the commas are being included even though the data pulls from a text file with no commas.

Does anyone know how to format the data displayed in the data sheet?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Would you be so kind to post your masterfile?
I might give us a better idea.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<Pants>
posted
I'm not sure what you mean by masterfile? The text file contains employee data, so I can't post that.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How do you read that textfile?

can you post your script/fex ?

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well I can't read this....
I'm afraid you posted some html code and the system get's upset when you do it this way.

don't you have just a fex that says something like

TABLE FILE XXX
PRINT xxxx
END

do you know what a master file description is?

Frank

<Pants>
posted
I have a fex that creates the text file and saves it to a folder location like this...

TABLE FILE NEWTABLE
PRINT
CLIENT_ID AS 'Client ID'
CLIENT_MKT_SEG AS 'Market Segment'
EMP_PER_ID AS 'PERID'
ON TABLE SAVE FILENAME
'\\KWVAPWFD02\IBI\WEBFOCUS71\IBI_HTML\VISDIS\BTD\LOA_VISDIZ.TXT'
FORMAT VISDIS
END

I have and HTML page with an ActiveX control inserted (data sheet) that goes out to the text file and brings the data in. But it is adding the commas when it displays them in the data sheet/HTML page

no, I am not sure what a master file description is

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's the ActiveX control that's adding the commas? The commas could be in the text file created by the ON TABLE SAVE statement.

In your program (fex), the metadata for the file/table called NEWTABLE is called newtable.mas and should be in one of your Application folders. Perhaps it's the VISDIS format type that's adding the commas.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you change your query to

TABLE FILE NEWTABLE
PRINT
CLIENT_ID AS 'Client ID'
EMP_PER_ID AS 'PERID'
END

How does it look?

Do you see comma's as well in the output?

Which fields holds the values that should be displayed as numbers without comma's

Frank

Expert
posted Hide Post
I assume the field with the commas is CLIENT_MKT_SEG. The comma is displayed based on the default display options depending on the USAGE or Displayed Data Type. If the field is defined as a Dnn (eg. D12) then a comma is automatically added to values over 999. To suppress the comma, your code could be modified like this:

TABLE FILE NEWTABLE
PRINT
CLIENT_ID AS 'Client ID'
CLIENT_MKT_SEG/D12c AS 'Market Segment'
EMP_PER_ID AS 'PERID'
ON TABLE SAVE FILENAME
'\\KWVAPWFD02\IBI\WEBFOCUS71\IBI_HTML\VISDIS\BTD\LOA_VISDIZ.TXT'
FORMAT VISDIS
END

The lower-case c in D12c suppresses the comma. I'm not sure if VISDIS overrides this and displays the numeric field with it's own formatting...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<Pants>
posted
There are no commas in the output in either case (format as visdis or with the code change you describe) I can go out and look at the text file created and there are no commas in it either.

quote:
Originally posted by FrankDutch:
If you change your query to

TABLE FILE NEWTABLE
PRINT
CLIENT_ID AS 'Client ID'
EMP_PER_ID AS 'PERID'
END

How does it look?

Do you see comma's as well in the output?

Which fields holds the values that should be displayed as numbers without comma's

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Please show us the master for NEWTABLE. Or at least the line from it that shows the definition of the market segment field.

Another thing you can try is changing the format to an I for integer.

The commas aren't in the data. They are produced based on the display format in the master of NEWTABLE. That has been stated before and we still need to see it.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Pants

You need to set the format of the field in the text file to "S" instead of "R" or "I". Look at this sample..

COUNTRY SALES SALES_A
S I S
ENGLAND 12000 12000
FRANCE 0 0
ITALY 30200 30200
JAPAN 78030 78030
W GERMANY 88190 88190

SALES_A will not have commas in the data sheet but SALES will. Commas are always shown for numeric (I or R) values as far as I know.

So you can manually edit your resulting text file and change the format to "S" or change the fex that generates the text file and convert the integer to alpha in there by using FTOA..

Sample code:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
COMPUTE SALES_A/A9 = FTOA(SALES, '(D6c)', 'A9');
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT VISDIS
END

Hope this helps...

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
<Pants>
posted
Thanks Jodye! That worked

And thanks to the others who tried...I hope I did not test anyones patients to much with my ignorance

Report This Post