Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Document Composter (never ending story)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Document Composter (never ending story)
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
This is not a new subject, but yet another bug in this crappy tool called Document Composer. I've got 3 tables: station, location and site and I'm chaining from station_code in station to station_code in location. From there I' sending the display value to pick up all sites belonging to that location. Just adding to the frustration, in the composer all rows in the last box appear, making you happy and think you finally got it work. In runtime however, only the first one shows.

The population of the boxer is made in external procedures, since I've had a few issues using Master files with Chrome and FF.

Anyone has a good idea what's going on?

Tia
Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Håkan,

I have some chained controls that seem to work, though I haven't tried three chained controls yet.

So, you have Station, Location and Site controls that are chained. Then you have one external fex that retrieves all the columns and rows. This should look something like this:

JOIN station_code  IN station TO station_code  IN location AS J1
JOIN location_code IN station TO location_code IN site     AS J2 

TABLE FILE station
SUM
MAX.station_name
MAX.location_name
MAX.site_name

BY station_code
BY location_code
BY site_code

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

Then you would assign this Dynamic External Procedure to each of the three controls, picking the appropriate columns for the Value field and the Display field. Check the "Check for duplicate values" checkbox.

If you've done all this then I'm not sure what's going wrong. If I haven't described your situation properly, please correct me.

Thanks,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Embedded procedures work fine with FF and Chrome for us. Is that what you're talking about when you say "using master files"?

Perhaps you're only seeing the problems with the older WF 7.6.10?

Or perhaps you're attempting to enforce a different sort order to how the TABLE FILE block gets generated in the embedded procedure's body? That will break chaining, yes. Don't touch the generated code if you're chaining! Even adding an extra WHERE-clause can cause problems.

If you want a different sort order than the one that the generated TABLE FILE uses, you are supposed to select the sort order using the check-boxes in the embedded procedure properties (which moves the burden of sorting the list-boxes to Javascript).

The alternative is indeed to use external procedures, but those have their share of problems as well as you found out.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have'nt had time to deal with this for a couple of days. Francis, the JOIN solutio worked fine. Wep, I used an external proc, mainly because I prefer not to enter the Composter to often. Once you've got it working, you better not touch it....
Anyway, I've got another problem, which is "only" a performance problem. We've got about 25K sites and IE got problems retrieving that number of rows without displaying that question if you wan't to kill the script. Chrome does'nt have that problem (surprise?). Any good ideas?

Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post