Focal Point
dynamic sizing of graph

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3291013091

October 11, 2006, 06:15 AM
Navaneeth
dynamic sizing of graph
Hi

I am displaying a graph which displays records daily.
If the user selects select the dates for One Year, my Graph is looking very much cluttered.

Is it possible to dynamically adjust the size of graph (print area) based on the Input

Awaiting for a Solution

Regards
Navaneeth
October 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
Francis Mariani
You could use Dialog Manager to compute the width and height of the graph based on the selected parameter.

ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 400
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 205

The 205 and 400 could become Dialog Manager variables:

-SET &GHAXIS = IF &PARM1 EQ 'YEAR' THEN '1000' ELSE '400';
-SET &GVAXIS = IF &PARM1 EQ 'YEAR' THEN '600' ELSE '205';

GRAPH FILE ...
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS &GHAXIS
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS &GVAXIS
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
Kerry
Hi Navaneeth,

Has this issue been resolved? Did Francis' suggestion help you? Many thanks to Francis's help. Smiler

I ran a quick search on Focal Point old topics and came across the following, which may be of interest:

Dynamic Graphs

scatter plots, with text _labelled data points

Graph - Axis Min/Max Values

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.
October 25, 2006, 02:45 AM
Navaneeth
No, it did not.
October 25, 2006, 06:56 AM
Tony A
Navaneeth,

The method suggested by Francis is one I would recommend you follow up. The way that the VAXIS and HAXIS settings are used will resize your overall graph area as you have requested.

If you are content with the overall graph area sizing and you want to change the rectangle in which your graph is plotted then I would recommend downloading a copy of the Graphing Manual (check tech documentation link above) and search out the method setRect, which has the syntax "setRect(object ,new Rectangle(VC left,VC top,VC width,VC height));". This manual should be invaluable to you if you are going to be concentrating on producing graphs.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
October 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
EJL
Tony A is right about the manual being very helpful but only to a point. It helps document the individual functions but it's weak in seeing how the functions work with each other and how they fit into the overall FEX. Complete examples instead of code snippets would go far in solving this problem.

I was trying to develop a simiar dynamic graphing capability except I wanted to size based on the actual number of datapoints. This didn't seem to be possible with the graph engine but might have been possible with a pre-pass of the data (to calculate the optimum size) and then a call to the actual graph functions. I ran out of time and never got back to it so our graphs are kind of sloppy looking at the datapoint extremes.

I think if you check out the first link in Kerry's post you'll see a possible solution towards the end of the thread.